suggestions and questions? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 133
suggestions and questions?

I want to buy some 31x10.5x15 Mud Terrains on 15x8 rims with 5x4.5 lug pattern. for my stock 95 wrangler. will they fit without a lift kit or do i need to raise her 2" first? and what do you suggest for a budget daily driver like my self to buy for a lift kit if its needed? thanks in advance..

rob1208lv is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
jpdocdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: beach park, il
Posts: 8,162
depending on how tired your leaf springs are, 31's usually fit, but may rub a little. most yj owner's first mod are shackles. they are cheap and fairly easy. shackle lift with 31's looks pretty good. keep your stock shackles, cuz later on if you do a suspension lift, you'll usually want to put them back on.

__________________
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency. It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their president."
http://mybroadband.co.za/photos/data...re_cowbell.gif
jpdocdave is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 149
Yeah you should lift her alittle before trying to stuff 31's you could maybe fit them if your springs arent to flat but you would rub on every little bump. Well heres how life really would go. you will buy a "budget lift" to fit the 31's and then you will want to go bigger a week later, so just go big first done waste money on "budget lifts." But if you are sure you only want an inch or 2 then you could do shackles or a body lift.
Fire Hart is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-14-2009, 05:12 PM
Thread Starter
  #4
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdocdave View Post
depending on how tired your leaf springs are, 31's usually fit, but may rub a little. most yj owner's first mod are shackles. they are cheap and fairly easy. shackle lift with 31's looks pretty good. keep your stock shackles, cuz later on if you do a suspension lift, you'll usually want to put them back on.
where do i find shackles? are they easy to install?
rob1208lv is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 149
Quadratec.com or 4wd.com yes they are easy to install with basic hand tools but get an impact if you can and alot of PB blaster
Fire Hart is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Thread Starter
  #6
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Hart View Post
Quadratec.com or 4wd.com yes they are easy to install with basic hand tools but get an impact if you can and alot of PB blaster
any brand better than the other ? or they all pretty much the same?
rob1208lv is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
jpdocdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: beach park, il
Posts: 8,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Hart View Post
Yeah you should lift her alittle before trying to stuff 31's you could maybe fit them if your springs arent to flat but you would rub on every little bump. Well heres how life really would go. you will buy a "budget lift" to fit the 31's and then you will want to go bigger a week later, so just go big first done waste money on "budget lifts." But if you are sure you only want an inch or 2 then you could do shackles or a body lift.
this is true, but i've accepted the steps we all go through. you can't tell someone what they have to experience. so seems like we all do shackles, then its usually a little more than a week, we decide to go bigger. the nice thing is, that time gives you the chance to expereince your style, and what you wanna do with your jeep. i used to try to talk newbies out of shackles, but realized i did it first, and its just kinda every yj's first step. thats why i said keep the stock ones. i'm glad cuz i almost got talked into a 3" body lift right off the bat, i got all excited, and luckily i saw a jeep with one first, and i was like, oh what's that. but i almost did it before i knew much and would've regreted it.
__________________
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency. It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their president."
http://mybroadband.co.za/photos/data...re_cowbell.gif
jpdocdave is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Thread Starter
  #8
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdocdave View Post
this is true, but i've accepted the steps we all go through. you can't tell someone what they have to experience. so seems like we all do shackles, then its usually a little more than a week, we decide to go bigger. the nice thing is, that time gives you the chance to expereince your style, and what you wanna do with your jeep. i used to try to talk newbies out of shackles, but realized i did it first, and its just kinda every yj's first step. thats why i said keep the stock ones. i'm glad cuz i almost got talked into a 3" body lift right off the bat, i got all excited, and luckily i saw a jeep with one first, and i was like, oh what's that. but i almost did it before i knew much and would've regreted it.
so this lift kit?
Full-Traction Suspension 2" Lift Shackle Reversal Kit for 87-95 Jeep® Wrangler YJ - Quadratec
or these shackles?(i am guessing I need both links below?)
Warrior Products 114 - Warrior Products Leaf Spring Shackle Kit for 76-95 Jeep® CJ5, CJ7 & Wrangler YJ - Quadratec Warrior Products 123 - Warrior Products 1-1/4" Lift Rear Leaf Spring Shackle Kit for 87-95 Jeep® Wrangler YJ - Quadratec
rob1208lv is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:26 PM   #9
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 149
Dont do the shackle reversal kit. For that money you could almost have a full supension lift. The Warrior shackle are the ones I had at frist. They are good but dont hold paint very well.
Fire Hart is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:27 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
jpdocdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: beach park, il
Posts: 8,162
not the first link, shackle reversal is different. either one of the second link. and you need 4 shackles, and they sell them in pairs. might wanna do new shocks at the same time. but buy 2-4" lift shocks. so they are usefull later.
__________________
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency. It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their president."
http://mybroadband.co.za/photos/data...re_cowbell.gif
jpdocdave is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:27 PM
Thread Starter
  #11
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Hart View Post
Dont do the shackle reversal kit. For that money you could almost have a full supension lift. The Warrior shackle are the ones I had at frist. They are good but dont hold paint very well.
that's the cheapest lift I could fine on there site for the 95 wrangler?
so if i do the shackles will i need both set of warriors? (both links above)
rob1208lv is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:29 PM   #12
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 149
Yeah they are good just sand them, prime them, and paint them before you install them if you dont want them to be gold or gray. use lots of coats of paint.
Fire Hart is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Thread Starter
  #13
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Hart View Post
Yeah they are good just sand them, prime them, and paint them before you install them if you dont want them to be gold or gray. use lots of coats of paint.
perfect I will order them now unless you still have your old ones and want to sell them...
rob1208lv is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:35 PM   #14
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 149
I just gave them to a buddy a few days ago. Sorry.
Fire Hart is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:36 PM
Thread Starter
  #15
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Hart View Post
Yeah they are good just sand them, prime them, and paint them before you install them if you dont want them to be gold or gray. use lots of coats of paint.
i just noticed these??

Black Diamond 2" Add-A-Leaf Suspension Lift Kit for 87-95 Jeep Wrangler YJ - Quadratec

suggestions?
rob1208lv is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:38 PM   #16
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 149
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Add-a-leaf kits SUX!!!!!!! they make the ride super rough and will only last about 6 months. DONT DO IT!!!!! just my opition
Fire Hart is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Thread Starter
  #17
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdocdave View Post
not the first link, shackle reversal is different. either one of the second link. and you need 4 shackles, and they sell them in pairs. might wanna do new shocks at the same time. but buy 2-4" lift shocks. so they are usefull later.
what is the difference of the other two links?
rob1208lv is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Thread Starter
  #18
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Hart View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Add-a-leaf kits SUX!!!!!!! they make the ride super rough and will only last about 6 months. DONT DO IT!!!!! just my opition
okay let me rephrase my 1st question...
what can i do to lift my 95 jeep so i can fit 31" tires that cost less than $300.00
and easy to DIY.. thanks...
rob1208lv is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:48 PM   #19
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 149
1.25inch lift shackles. Just do those and you will be good until you change your mind and buy a full kit later. I had only those shackles and 31's for about a year.
Fire Hart is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Thread Starter
  #20
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Hart View Post
1.25inch lift shackles. Just do those and you will be good until you change your mind and buy a full kit later. I had only those shackles and 31's for about a year.
do you have any pics of what your jeep looked like then?

thanks so so much..
rob1208lv is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:51 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
ty95yj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: vernon, nj
Posts: 251
i got my shackels from a friend for 20 bucks. just go on like craigslist or something
__________________
95 4cyl
no swaybar
bed liner inside
soon: 2.5 lift shackels 32s
ty95yj is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:52 PM   #22
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 149
Fire Hart is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:57 PM
Thread Starter
  #23
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Hart View Post
I like the 1 1/4 shackle lift with the 31 and the body lift this is what i want..
rob1208lv is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Thread Starter
  #24
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty95yj View Post
i got my shackels from a friend for 20 bucks. just go on like craigslist or something
I checked craiglist already.. I'll check ebay..
rob1208lv is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Thread Starter
  #25
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 133
I just don't think I can put the body lift on myself it looks hard to do..
rob1208lv is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:32 PM   #26
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 47
I bought cheap shackles on ebay which worked fine, maybe for $80 for all 4. I bought them to fit some 31's. 1st, they didnt really lift it all the way due to the old tired springs, 2nd it made the ride stiffer since the springs were just being stretched even more. I ended up taking them off and using the stock ones. Have had the stock shackles with 31s for about a year now and they work okay on the road. On the trail you will definitely rub. I am glad I did get the shackle lift though because its what really started the bug for me Next paycheck I am ordering my true 2.5" suspension lift. So IMO, go with the shackles but dont over pay because you will definitely want to go bigger and better.

My avatar is with stock shackles and the one in the post is with a 2 inch shackle lift.

zfender14 is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Thread Starter
  #27
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 133
nice thanks for the advice.. I found some on ebay already, but i want to do some more research before i order them.. I really like the body lift look to go with them, but I don't think i can do the body lift on my own and may have to pay someone, so i may just wait save and buy a full lift kit.. any anyone would suggest to buy??


Quote:
Originally Posted by zfender14 View Post
I bought cheap shackles on ebay which worked fine, maybe for $80 for all 4. I bought them to fit some 31's. 1st, they didnt really lift it all the way due to the old tired springs, 2nd it made the ride stiffer since the springs were just being stretched even more. I ended up taking them off and using the stock ones. Have had the stock shackles with 31s for about a year now and they work okay on the road. On the trail you will definitely rub. I am glad I did get the shackle lift though because its what really started the bug for me Next paycheck I am ordering my true 2.5" suspension lift. So IMO, go with the shackles but dont over pay because you will definitely want to go bigger and better.

My avatar is with stock shackles and the one in the post is with a 2 inch shackle lift.

rob1208lv is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:51 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
scrambler1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: vermont
Posts: 486
Rustys Offroad: Shackles - Greasable YJ Shackles (pair)

59.00 dollars a pair + plus shipping cannot believe more than 150.00 total.
__________________
94' wrangler 4 cyl. 5 speed D30/8.8 ARB
82' scrambler 350 TBI/700r4 D30/Currie 9"
07' JK sahara
Whats the deal with the facebook crap?? ->->->->
Grown men should NOT be on Facebook.
scrambler1 is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:28 PM   #29
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 47
I am buying a rough country 2.5" lift within the next month. Thats mainly due to budget constraint though. Do a quick search and you will find some good reviews with pics and stuff.

If you do get shackles though and plan to take it on the trail, get the greasable ones.

Another note on shackles: If you buy them and decide to get a real lift, keep the after market ones anyway. One day you may want to get another inch or so out of the lift to stuff some 33's under there and those cheap lift shackles may be the alternative to buying a whole other lift, or having to add a body lift or go SOA, etc.
zfender14 is offline   Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:32 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
jpdocdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: beach park, il
Posts: 8,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1208lv View Post
I like the 1 1/4 shackle lift with the 31 and the body lift this is what i want..
try to look at body lifts in person, i personally don't like the space you see between the body and the frame. if you don't mind the way it looks do it, its cheap and easy.

but remember body lifts do not afford any more suspension travel or performance, they simply space the body off the frame to make room for larger tires.

__________________
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency. It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their president."
http://mybroadband.co.za/photos/data...re_cowbell.gif
jpdocdave is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tall skinny tire and other questions for new jeep. Bigstonz TJ General Discussion Forum 3 12-24-2007 09:44 PM
Newbie with questions mastersrose WF New Member Check In 9 10-28-2007 06:55 PM
Some quick newb questions hectord27 YJ Tech Forum 7 10-04-2007 06:39 PM
New membeer, some questions. JoeyT YJ General Discussion Forum 4 09-06-2007 07:47 PM
Just got a '99... have a few questions... TJeffro TJ General Discussion Forum 7 08-15-2006 01:45 PM





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.