Timing chain issue? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-04-2015, 09:09 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Newb
 
FoxHound556's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4
Timing chain issue?

Hello all, long time lurker first time poster. I've got a '89 4.2, terrible miss fire when cold, only getting eight mpg, throwing black chunks out of the tail pipe. I put the timing light on it and it is no where near the timing marks, it would be something like 30-40 before tdc. Now I know this cannot be possible. A previous owner replaced the chain and I'm thinking the cam is off by one tooth. If my assumption is right, when I fix it will I have the adjust the carb a lot ? I have no experience with carbs and I'm apprehensive about touching it. Thanks for any help!

FoxHound556 is offline   Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:48 PM   #2
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 2,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound556 View Post
Hello all, long time lurker first time poster. I've got a '89 4.2, terrible miss fire when cold, only getting eight mpg, throwing black chunks out of the tail pipe. I put the timing light on it and it is no where near the timing marks, it would be something like 30-40 before tdc. Now I know this cannot be possible. A previous owner replaced the chain and I'm thinking the cam is off by one tooth. If my assumption is right, when I fix it will I have the adjust the carb a lot ? I have no experience with carbs and I'm apprehensive about touching it. Thanks for any help!
Wow that timing is way off mine is at 10* you may not need to adjust the carb you may need to. Are you running the stock or after market. ? My timing was all over the place on my YJ cause I had a worn out distributor so I upgraded to a CRT distributor it solved my timing issue

__________________
1989 YJ : Lifted/ Armored Tom95YJ's The Smurf Build Thread
1999 XJ : Lifted/Locked/Armored
Tom95YJ is offline   Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:53 PM
Thread Starter
  #3
Newb
 
FoxHound556's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4
Everything is stock and original as far as I can tell other than the usual tune up things. 145,xxx miles, runs well enough for summer cruising on the weekends but it is hard to start when cold and warm.
FoxHound556 is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-04-2015, 09:58 PM   #4
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 2,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound556 View Post
Everything is stock and original as far as I can tell other than the usual tune up things. 145,xxx miles, runs well enough for summer cruising on the weekends but it is hard to start when cold and warm.
I'd check your timing with the chain first then make sure the distributor is properly located

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5140191


Once that is done I'd suggest doing the nutter bypass and go from there
__________________
1989 YJ : Lifted/ Armored Tom95YJ's The Smurf Build Thread
1999 XJ : Lifted/Locked/Armored
Tom95YJ is offline   Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:06 PM
Thread Starter
  #5
Newb
 
FoxHound556's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
I'd check your timing with the chain first then make sure the distributor is properly located http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5140191 Once that is done I'd suggest doing the nutter bypass and go from there
ok I will do that, thanks a lot for the help so far!
FoxHound556 is offline   Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:52 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
roadyrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: west palm fla
Posts: 1,272
check the end play in your distributor, it will thro the timing off. max is 20 thousands.
also, when you checked the timing did you have the vac advance capped?
adjust the timing back to 10 at about 800 rpm's with the vac advance capped, how does it run?
__________________
1987, 4,2, rebuilt, head casting cleaned up, port matched and milled-9.5 compression, hotter cam holley 4 bbl
roadyrob is offline   Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:50 PM
Thread Starter
  #7
Newb
 
FoxHound556's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadyrob View Post
check the end play in your distributor, it will thro the timing off. max is 20 thousands. also, when you checked the timing did you have the vac advance capped? adjust the timing back to 10 at about 800 rpm's with the vac advance capped, how does it run?
I didn't think to cap the vacuum since I was checking at idle, I will add this to the list when I check everything again this weekend hopefully.

FoxHound556 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.