What Kind of Winch? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-09-2012, 01:00 AM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Huntsman180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Papillion, Nebraska
Posts: 325
What Kind of Winch?

What kind of winch should I use for a somewhat stock YJ, One day it will be a beefed up crawler. How much winch do I need?

Huntsman180 is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:16 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Ianbeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Antonio Texas/ Stationed in NM
Posts: 1,508
Might as well go big, especially since you want to make it into a rock crawler

__________________
2011 JK 3.8L V6 4-Speed

Regretfully Sold: 1987 YJ 4.2L I6 5-Speed, SOA, 1"shackle
Ianbeaulieu is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:42 AM   #3
zombie & ninja slayer

WF Supporting Member
 
Redsand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: southern illinois, no where near chicago (allendale)
Posts: 2,276
American made, at least 8k pounds
__________________

"It puts the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose again"
Redsand is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #4
Founder, ThumbJeeps

WF Supporting Member
 
Chris Larabell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mid-Michigan/Thumb
Posts: 4,062
right on ^ Im in the market as well. Thanks redsand.
__________________
-Chris
Founder, ThumbJeeps. Mayville, Michigan
"roads are boring"


1994 Wrangler YJ I6 4.0 H/O Auto 3 spd. 3:55 Gears
Chris Larabell is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
denisbaldwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 3,313
8000 pounds or bigger. I have a Warn M8000. Has done everything I've asked of it. At some point, I'm going to pull it off and save it for a sand buggy and put a 12,000 pound winch on it with synthetic rope.
__________________
Denis A. Baldwin
Clearwater, FL
1991 YJ 99 Vortec 5.7L, SM465, NP205, 14 Bolt Rear, Dana 60 Front, 5.13 Gears, Detroit Lockers, 395/85R20 46" Michelin XML tires on 20" XD Wheels, Cherokee Offset Springs (10" front to back stretch total), Bilstein 5150s, 1in. BL, custom cage, Warn M8000, Double D Dash/OHC, 4Low Front Stinger Bumper, DirtWorx Rear Bumper WTC, Tube Fenders, Comp Cut, 1 Ton HD Kingpin High Steering and PAID FOR.
denisbaldwin is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 38
as stated-go with something american made. 8k lbs should be good, but 9 or 10k would be better. another thing to be aware of is a winch's line speed rating. if you're going to spend the money, make sure it pulls at a decent speed. slow winches can get pretty annoying, especially if you're sporting a bad case of ADHD like me
Why-Jay is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
Supporting Vendor
 
Warn Industries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Milwaukie, OR
Posts: 89
If you've got any questions about any of our winches, you can feel free to PM me at any time.

FYI, the rule of thumb we use around here is to take the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) and multiply that by 1.5 to get the minimum pulling capacity. However, an M8000 or VR8000 would be a great choice for a YJ.

Warn Industries - Jeep, Truck & SUV Winches

- Andy
Warn Industries is offline   Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:28 AM
Thread Starter
  #8
Jeeper
 
Huntsman180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Papillion, Nebraska
Posts: 325
Thanks guys! Will defiantly be investing in one now!
Huntsman180 is offline   Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
iluvshoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,378
You may laugh at me, I don't care...what is a winch and what is it used for and what does it look like and why would I need/want one? Let the laughing begin!
__________________
Julie
12 Sport Black (Mall Crawler) aka Fifty
02 X Yellow (Bar Crawler) aka Bumblebee
iluvshoes is offline   Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
yjJEEPyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Davenport Iowa
Posts: 1,063
I got one of warns new vr10,000 with synthetic. I got to test it out the other day. My jeep was buried in the mud with my ball joints ripped off so I only had one front tire and the winch was able to pull me out even with the axle acting as a anchor and digging into the ground. Up hill to!
yjJEEPyj is offline   Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
DirtyRob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sampson County N.C.
Posts: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvshoes View Post
You may laugh at me, I don't care...what is a winch and what is it used for and what does it look like and why would I need/want one? Let the laughing begin!
Are you kidding? If not you probably do not need one, and my never need one
A quick google search can do you some good but feel fre3e to click the link below
https://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_nf=...w=1024&bih=600
__________________
wherever you go there you are..........
DirtyRob is offline   Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
iluvshoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by d5string

Are you kidding? If not you probably do not need one, and my never need one
A quick google search can do you some good but feel fre3e to click the link below
https://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_nf=...w=1024&bih=600
Yeah google search would work, but it wasnt that important for me to know and using the cell phone for this kind of stuff is annoying. I figured I just ask. And yes I was serious. Being new to the whole wrangler world and mod world I am learning a whole new set of terms I have never used in my life. I guess to most ppl who have been wrangler owners for years these terms are common sense. Sorry for asking.
__________________
Julie
12 Sport Black (Mall Crawler) aka Fifty
02 X Yellow (Bar Crawler) aka Bumblebee
iluvshoes is offline   Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
MoparMuscleFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 150
No don't be afraid to ask questions thats how you learn. A winch is an electric recovery device that's very helpful if you go offroading alone... In the event that you get stuck hook the winch rope to a tree and push a button and watch it pull you out
MoparMuscleFreak is offline   Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
CharTay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvshoes

Yeah google search would work, but it wasnt that important for me to know and using the cell phone for this kind of stuff is annoying. I figured I just ask. And yes I was serious. Being new to the whole wrangler world and mod world I am learning a whole new set of terms I have never used in my life. I guess to most ppl who have been wrangler owners for years these terms are common sense. Sorry for asking.
Yea seriously ask all the questions u want. Some people assume everyone knows everything haha
CharTay is offline   Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
iluvshoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparMuscleFreak View Post
No don't be afraid to ask questions thats how you learn. A winch is an electric recovery device that's very helpful if you go offroading alone... In the event that you get stuck hook the winch rope to a tree and push a button and watch it pull you out
So what is the difference bewteen a stinger and a winch and the little hooks on my front bumper? I mean it seems like they all do the same thing.
__________________
Julie
12 Sport Black (Mall Crawler) aka Fifty
02 X Yellow (Bar Crawler) aka Bumblebee
iluvshoes is offline   Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
yjJEEPyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Davenport Iowa
Posts: 1,063
The stinger.. is a bar that comes out from your front bumper that helps prevent flipping over forwards and other things. The winch is a thing with a little motor and steel cable wrapped around a drum that rolls up the cable to pull it, on the end of the cable there is a hook that you can hook to trees and stuff so the winch can roll up the cable to pull you out. There all separate things
yjJEEPyj is offline   Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
yjJEEPyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Davenport Iowa
Posts: 1,063
The little hooks on a bumper are simply.. little hooks on your bumper. If someone is with u and you get stuck.. they attach a strap to those hooks and pull you out. But if theres no one with you.. you would need a winch
yjJEEPyj is offline   Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
iluvshoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjJEEPyj View Post
The little hooks on a bumper are simply.. little hooks on your bumper. If someone is with u and you get stuck.. they attach a strap to those hooks and pull you out. But if theres no one with you.. you would need a winch
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjJEEPyj View Post
The stinger.. is a bar that comes out from your front bumper that helps prevent flipping over forwards and other things. The winch is a thing with a little motor and steel cable wrapped around a drum that rolls up the cable to pull it, on the end of the cable there is a hook that you can hook to trees and stuff so the winch can roll up the cable to pull you out. There all separate things
Ok, so...winch has a motor for getting yourself out of "oh f*ck my life" situations when alone, stingers is for not to face plant you Jeep and my little hooks is a girly get me out of the ditch thingie...right? All three very different things. So, my conclusion...I will not need a stinger or a winch since I don't go offroading. The girly simple hooks is good enough for this city girl. Thank you very much! Very educational. Now if I could just figure out how to change my own axle, I be in business! LOL

__________________
Julie
12 Sport Black (Mall Crawler) aka Fifty
02 X Yellow (Bar Crawler) aka Bumblebee
iluvshoes is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.