Where can i get a "Frame-less soft top"? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-12-2011, 11:56 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
THEJAG5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 48
Where can i get a "Frame-less soft top"?

I have 92 yj with a stock soft top. I want a an alternative to the cheap stock soft top frame and I wanted to look into a "frame-less" soft top. Any tips on where I can find one? Or anything I should know about them?

THEJAG5 is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
GrNMoNsTr--93YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 312
Go to softopper.com. That is where I bought mine from. Great service and it got to me in days. Rampage and viking are also looking into a yj frame less top

GrNMoNsTr--93YJ is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
NewYJOwner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Michigan
Posts: 613
If you have the rounded half door soft uppers or hard doors then you can go this route easily. If not then you have to buy either new half door soft uppers or hard doors to run a softopper or rampage or similar, unfortunatly I have the squared corner half door soft uppers and by the time I would have paid for a softopper and new door frames and skins, It got really expensive.
I really wish someone would make a frameless top like these for the square cornered guys like me.

Hey jeep top companies.....You listening to this????? We want a frameless top that works with our existing doors!!!!
NewYJOwner is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
M_
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,007
You can get full hard doors around here on craigslist for 2-300 then the softopper is a good deal I'm buying hard doors and hard top for winter and I'm seriously considering softopper next year but I have heard it's great to strip down to the safari top but it sucks to go completely topless and put back up
M_ is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
NewYJOwner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Michigan
Posts: 613
yeah, pay around 300 for hard doors or 3-400.00 for new upper frames and skins then add the top you just racked your total up to around 8-900.00 sometimes you can get lucky and find someone selling them cheaper, but still......
NewYJOwner is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #6
M_
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,007
Yes but if you buy hard doors you can also get a hard top and be able to switch with seasons depending on where you live and necessity that's my plan round doors seem to be a good investment soon anyway because there are more top options
M_ is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
GrNMoNsTr--93YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 312
I agree. Hard doors are very nice especially when the weather tends to be unpredictable they are a great all around door. Invest in some full soft doors with round corners. Easily stored in the jeep so you can go door less even when its about to rain. But round doors are a must for almost all worth while aftermarket tops.
GrNMoNsTr--93YJ is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
Sponsoring Vendor
 
BestopTeam@Bestop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrNMoNsTr--93YJ View Post
Go to softopper.com. That is where I bought mine from. Great service and it got to me in days. Rampage and viking are also looking into a yj frame less top
There is no Viking anymore. They sold to Rampage.
BestopTeam@Bestop is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
Sponsoring Vendor
 
BestopTeam@Bestop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYJOwner View Post
Hey jeep top companies.....You listening to this????? We want a frameless top that works with our existing doors!!!!
You can't be talking to me. We don't make a frameless top for YJ at all.

And quit acting all innocent. You guys know what you did.
BestopTeam@Bestop is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
Sponsoring Vendor
 
BestopTeam@Bestop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEJAG5 View Post
I have 92 yj with a stock soft top. I want a an alternative to the cheap stock soft top frame and I wanted to look into a "frame-less" soft top. Any tips on where I can find one? Or anything I should know about them?
When did YJs switch to the family style roll bar? I forget. But you need the newer style roll bar for these tops.
BestopTeam@Bestop is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:19 PM   #11
M_
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]

You can't be talking to me. We don't make a frameless top for YJ at all.

And quit acting all innocent. You guys know what you did.
What did we do? And make one please! A frameless top that accepts square doors... I'll product test it for you lol
M_ is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #12
Sponsoring Vendor
 
BestopTeam@Bestop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_McQuade View Post
What did we do? And make one please! A frameless top that accepts square doors... I'll product test it for you lol
Well obviously the only thing you did was buy a Jeep that was sold in relatively small numbers, and where time/rust/wrecks makes that number smaller every year.

Combine that with some YJ-only features (different roll bar styles, the door issue) and you end up with a total "pool" of potential purchasers that is too small for us jumping in.

I own an old Alfa Romeo and a very old CJ5. I know that the small companies are where I need to go for parts and accessories.

So you've still got options!

(and I'll add this in case my boss reads: we make a TON of stuff for CJ and YJ. Just not a frameless top!)
BestopTeam@Bestop is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #13
M_
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]

Well obviously the only thing you did was buy a Jeep that was sold in relatively small numbers, and where time/rust/wrecks makes that number smaller every year.

Combine that with some YJ-only features (different roll bar styles, the door issue) and you end up with a total "pool" of potential purchasers that is too small for us jumping in.

I own an old Alfa Romeo and a very old CJ5. I know that the small companies are where I need to go for parts and accessories.

So you've still got options!

(and I'll add this in case my boss reads: we make a TON of stuff for CJ and YJ. Just not a frameless top!)
LOL! well how about a frameless top that accepts round doors? For 92-95 wranglers and I'll still offer my services as a product tester lol
M_ is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
WellsR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
When did YJs switch to the family style roll bar? I forget. But you need the newer style roll bar for these tops.
Im pretty sure 93

But I dont even like framless soft tops I think they look strange
__________________
Red 92 YJ 2.5l, 31x10.5x15 Goodyear Authorities
WellsR is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:37 PM   #15
M_
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,007
92 I think they look great but I hear they are pain to go topless with... Great for the safari top look
M_ is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Thread Starter
  #16
Jeeper
 
THEJAG5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 48
Great! I have a 92 with square upper doors!!!! Looks like I'm not getting a frameless top....
THEJAG5 is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #17
M_
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEJAG5
Great! I have a 92 with square upper doors!!!! Looks like I'm not getting a frameless top....
Your only option was softopper but really getting round doors at the time you get a new top isn't a bad idea anyway
M_ is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
NewYJOwner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Michigan
Posts: 613
This isn't pointed at Geoff, even though you know what you did.
Would it be so hard to modify a simple door surround on a softopper or similar? To me it looks like they had to add material to the back corner to compensate for the round corners.
NewYJOwner is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:44 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
WellsR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYJOwner View Post
This isn't pointed at Geoff, even though you know what you did.
Would it be so hard to modify a simple door surround on a softopper or similar? To me it looks like they had to add material to the back corner to compensate for the round corners.
The order one and Im sure you have a razor blade some where

__________________
Red 92 YJ 2.5l, 31x10.5x15 Goodyear Authorities
WellsR is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for full soft doors 1995 YJ nccaddie YJ General Discussion Forum 19 06-28-2011 01:13 PM
Soft top under hard top? (pics) Phrankoff TJ General Discussion Forum 11 04-06-2011 06:27 PM
07 Sahara Soft Top SuribachiAE21 JK General Discussion Forum 6 06-08-2010 09:06 PM
TSBs for 09 Wrangler JeepCan24 JK General Discussion Forum 5 11-23-2009 10:31 PM
Hard top to soft top parts?? gntjeep TJ Tech Forum 3 07-29-2009 09:36 AM





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC