Wierd drivetrain vibration - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
RSC17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 698
Wierd drivetrain vibration

95 YJ
4cyl
AX5
4in RC Susp. Lift w/ 1.25" Shackles
stock gearing w/ 33's
no trackbars or swaybar

Have a real rough vibration when starting from a stop in 1st. Worse in reverse and even worse yet when starting on an incline.

Had my motor and tranny mounts changed. Everything seems to be tight. Even went around checking the spring bolts. They're tight. It stopped for a couple days and now it's right back. Looked under and found this part is loose and has no nut on the stud coming through the skid. It's just sitting in there:



Could this be the source of the vibration? Thanks!

__________________
Northeast Ohio 4x4 . com
4x4 Tech Discussion - Events - Classifieds

^Check us out
RSC17 is offline   Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
183Beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The center of Kansas
Posts: 287
I wouldn't think so, but put a nut on it and see.

183Beast is offline   Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
chensley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 444
I believe that is your torque arm stud. It should have a nut on it....I would crawl under neath and check the u-joints. Grab the drive shaft and shake it back and fourth, if there is any play on the rear or front drive shafts then replace the u-joints, it's an easy fix and only will set you back about 15 bucks.
chensley is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-12-2011, 08:21 PM
Thread Starter
  #4
Jeeper
 
RSC17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 698
Thanks guys. Torque arm is shot. The bottom stud's threads are all rolled over. I guess vibration isn't the good term to use. It's more of a drivetrain shake and seeing as the torque arm keeps the drivetrain from twisting & the shaking happening only when starting out from a stop I'm going to bank on the idea that this is the problem. All U-joints are solid still.
__________________
Northeast Ohio 4x4 . com
4x4 Tech Discussion - Events - Classifieds

^Check us out
RSC17 is offline   Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
yeaup-yeaup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSC17 View Post
Thanks guys. Torque arm is shot. The bottom stud's threads are all rolled over. I guess vibration isn't the good term to use. It's more of a drivetrain shake and seeing as the torque arm keeps the drivetrain from twisting & the shaking happening only when starting out from a stop I'm going to bank on the idea that this is the problem. All U-joints are solid still.

I HAVE THIS SAME EXACT PROBLEM! how did you fix it and how much $$ you looking at? i thought it was that i did not lower my TC enough after i put the lift on. can you get into details about what you did to fix the problem?
yeaup-yeaup is offline   Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
chensley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 444
yeaup-yeaup
Thats a sick a$$ looking jeep man, I'm jealous.
chensley is offline   Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Thread Starter
  #7
Jeeper
 
RSC17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeaup-yeaup View Post
I HAVE THIS SAME EXACT PROBLEM! how did you fix it and how much $$ you looking at? i thought it was that i did not lower my TC enough after i put the lift on. can you get into details about what you did to fix the problem?
I just changed out the torque arm and bushings. The arm was 3.99 and the the bushings were 5.99 IIRC. I paid for next day shipping because I need to get it back on the road so that raped me. All you do is take the top nut and bottom nut off, drop the tcase skid and it'll come right out. not hard at all. top nuts a 14mm. my bottom nut had fell off or something so that was my problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chensley View Post
yeaup-yeaup
Thats a sick a$$ looking jeep man, I'm jealous.
thanks man
__________________
Northeast Ohio 4x4 . com
4x4 Tech Discussion - Events - Classifieds

^Check us out
RSC17 is offline   Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:52 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Jeep-YJ-91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 450
I have the same problem as well...Where did you buy your torque arm and bushings at?

If you bought them online do you possibly have a link?

Thank You!
Jeep-YJ-91 is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:41 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
yeaup-yeaup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 77
ok again maybe its my ignorance on this but i looked under my jeep and i dont see that thing anywhere?..?? i have a 93 with a 4.0 would i even have this part...does anyone know what else would cause this bad shakeing during take off?
yeaup-yeaup is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:50 AM
Thread Starter
  #10
Jeeper
 
RSC17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep-YJ-91 View Post
I have the same problem as well...Where did you buy your torque arm and bushings at?

If you bought them online do you possibly have a link?

Thank You!
I bought them on 4wd.com. torque arms from jeep are on backorder with no ETA as I found out yesterday.

Torque arm: Transmission Stabilizer Stud by Omix-Ada and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH2

Bushings: Torque Arm Bushing by Daystar and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeaup-yeaup View Post
ok again maybe its my ignorance on this but i looked under my jeep and i dont see that thing anywhere?..?? i have a 93 with a 4.0 would i even have this part...does anyone know what else would cause this bad shakeing during take off?
I read the 4.0 needs it a lot more than the 4cyl does. Maybe the part isn't even there? I know the tranny mount for the 4.0 is farther back on the tranny. I'm guessing look on either side of that. I'm not familiar with the 4.0.
__________________
Northeast Ohio 4x4 . com
4x4 Tech Discussion - Events - Classifieds

^Check us out
RSC17 is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
chensley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 444
Glad you got it solved RSC17, lucky you it was a cheap and easy fix!!
chensley is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:39 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
POS YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chico, CA
Posts: 281
The 4.0's have them as well, they are on the drivers side of the skid plate. I tend have them rip through the skid plate, or spit the bushings out all together. At the local Pep-Boys, they have some Poly Performance sway bar links and bushings for Chevy's, on the shelf, that look like quite a bit beefier than the stock torque arm. I haven't done this yet, but it looks like an easy upgrade. Make sure your DS motor mount is good while you are swapping out the torque arm, or it won't last too long.
POS YJ is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by POS YJ View Post
The 4.0's have them as well, they are on the drivers side of the skid plate. I tend have them rip through the skid plate, or spit the bushings out all together. At the local Pep-Boys, they have some Poly Performance sway bar links and bushings for Chevy's, on the shelf, that look like quite a bit beefier than the stock torque arm. I haven't done this yet, but it looks like an easy upgrade. Make sure your DS motor mount is good while you are swapping out the torque arm, or it won't last too long.
If you had the bushings, you could use a hardened 3/8 bolt of the proper length for the stud.
__________________
2013 WRANGLER SPORT 2 DR., V-6 ,AUTO,HARD TOP
(Sold)1994 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, Bestop top
/w steel half door and slider windows
5 speed, 2.5" lift, 31" tires,rack lights
Garyk is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Thread Starter
  #14
Jeeper
 
RSC17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by chensley View Post
Glad you got it solved RSC17, lucky you it was a cheap and easy fix!!
Thanks, installed it today. One bad thing was the bushings I have linked above didn't work for me. When fully tighted down there was play in the arm. Used the old rubber bushings and worked just fine.
__________________
Northeast Ohio 4x4 . com
4x4 Tech Discussion - Events - Classifieds

^Check us out
RSC17 is offline   Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:21 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
yeaup-yeaup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by POS YJ View Post
The 4.0's have them as well, they are on the drivers side of the skid plate. I tend have them rip through the skid plate, or spit the bushings out all together. At the local Pep-Boys, they have some Poly Performance sway bar links and bushings for Chevy's, on the shelf, that look like quite a bit beefier than the stock torque arm. I haven't done this yet, but it looks like an easy upgrade. Make sure your DS motor mount is good while you are swapping out the torque arm, or it won't last too long.
ok i must be blind cause i dont have one. there is nothing connected to my skid plate under the tranny at all. it bolts to both sides of frame and has the tranny mount in the middle. no such arm is there anywhere. does anyone have any pics of the YJ with 4.0 that could show where it might be bolted on each end?

yeaup-yeaup is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vibration at 60mph, wierd things happen at that speed 89JEEPYJ YJ Tech Forum 10 02-13-2011 01:54 PM
Lifted with that *^% vibration! mlt503 TJ Tech Forum 9 01-16-2011 11:44 PM
Drivetrain vibration myharley99 TJ General Discussion Forum 3 11-07-2010 05:18 AM
wierd new vibration big orange yj YJ Tech Forum 4 11-15-2009 10:06 PM
Drivetrain vibration and "clunky" feeling bigjohnjeep TJ Tech Forum 12 10-13-2009 10:52 AM





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC