YJ owners help me out !! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-16-2015, 11:31 AM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
donmeca2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hollywood, florida
Posts: 3,067
YJ owners help me out !!

Hey guys, My father and i have been toying with the idea of purchasing an older jeep. im kinda of partial to the YJ, and he's opening to any older open roof jeep.

Anyways as i been searching all around in FL, i see there are TONS of 4 cylinder YJ models available. now my question to all of you is, how good is the 4 cylinder motor versions? im sure not at capable off road as the 6 cylinder. any info would help thanks guys !!!

__________________
2014 Copperhead Pearl Wrangler Unlimited Sport

Claiming to be Off-road 24/7 and living the Mountain man life. that's the WF member way
donmeca2020 is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:44 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
cyblyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Close to Sacramento California
Posts: 169
I'm not a hardcore off roader. In California, gas is expensive so I decided for the 4 cyn and I like it. No need for go fast or more power for me. I guess it would depend on what our going to use it for. If your going to do mile offroading and want to save a little on gas, I'd get the 4.

__________________
You know you're in trouble when your house payment, jeep payment and girlfriend are 3 months late
cyblyn is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:28 PM
Thread Starter
  #3
Jeeper
 
donmeca2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hollywood, florida
Posts: 3,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyblyn View Post
I'm not a hardcore off roader. In California, gas is expensive so I decided for the 4 cyn and I like it. No need for go fast or more power for me. I guess it would depend on what our going to use it for. If your going to do mile offroading and want to save a little on gas, I'd get the 4.
nor am i, but i was planning on giving it a try when ended up getting something to play with. my JKU will never see a trail because i just don't want to put it under that type of punishment.
__________________
2014 Copperhead Pearl Wrangler Unlimited Sport

Claiming to be Off-road 24/7 and living the Mountain man life. that's the WF member way
donmeca2020 is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-16-2015, 12:29 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Varg0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 52
I have a 4 and I can roll down the highway at 70-75 in 4th. I have 33's and run a flowmaster. So far no issues.
Varg0 is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:32 PM   #5
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4
After having both a 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder YJ, I'll never go back to the 4 cylinder. It is alright around town, but on the freeway it is useless. It also takes forever to get up to speed and with anything more than a 31" tire, 5th gear is useless.
RedJeepster1 is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:58 PM   #6
IRQ
Jeeper
 
IRQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NY
Posts: 2,093
I doubt you will have any issues with off roading a 4 cylinder, the issues that will come into play are using larger tires on highways.. staying stock you will have no issues however.

Also take into account the 4 cylinder will not get better gas mileage than the 6.. will be pretty much the same.
__________________
1995 Rio Grande • 2.5L • AX-5 • 50,000 miles • Stock
IRQ is online now   Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:48 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Staten Island
Posts: 92
i was facing same problem 2 years ago when i got mine. i ended up finding 6 cyl, not regretting my choice.
Klimarov is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:21 PM
Thread Starter
  #8
Jeeper
 
donmeca2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hollywood, florida
Posts: 3,067
Thanks for the info guys, i figured they'd be issues when doing bigger tires and off roading.

While i never planned on doing any serious off roading i was at least planning on driving through wooded areas in the northern and central florida areas....
__________________
2014 Copperhead Pearl Wrangler Unlimited Sport

Claiming to be Off-road 24/7 and living the Mountain man life. that's the WF member way
donmeca2020 is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:34 PM   #9
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
jokerchief462's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: North Las Vegas
Posts: 10,093
Send a message via AIM to jokerchief462
Doesn't matter on the trail at all but the 6 is preferred and they cost more.

Meaning you might just find a 4 in unmolested great shape easier and cheaper than a 6

Your choice been wheeling mine 4 years no complaints I get there the same time the rest do
__________________
89 2.5 TBI, 4" RC lift, 1" Booms, SYE, Adams Driveshafts front and rear, Ford 8.8 with 4:88s, BFG 33X12.50X15, and a ton of other stuff.

AF Jeep Club Tail Number 184
jokerchief462 is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:29 PM
Thread Starter
  #10
Jeeper
 
donmeca2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hollywood, florida
Posts: 3,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerchief462 View Post
Doesn't matter on the trail at all but the 6 is preferred and they cost more.

Meaning you might just find a 4 in unmolested great shape easier and cheaper than a 6

Your choice been wheeling mine 4 years no complaints I get there the same time the rest do
i've seen numerous auto trans 4 cylinders and they looks to be in excellent shape, however i was aiming for a 6 cylinder with manual trans... i guess i'll have to wait and see what i can find.
__________________
2014 Copperhead Pearl Wrangler Unlimited Sport

Claiming to be Off-road 24/7 and living the Mountain man life. that's the WF member way
donmeca2020 is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:56 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
mijeeper80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepster1 View Post
After having both a 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder YJ, I'll never go back to the 4 cylinder. It is alright around town, but on the freeway it is useless. It also takes forever to get up to speed and with anything more than a 31" tire, 5th gear is useless.
complete bs!!! I own a4 cyl and do 75 on the highway everyday with 33's your yj was just obviously not in tip top shape because my get up and go is perfectly fine. On back roads I use 4th just for a little extra pep but certainly not needed.

An auto 4 on the other hand..... That may be useless on the road but I won't assume because I never owned one.
mijeeper80 is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:12 PM
Thread Starter
  #12
Jeeper
 
donmeca2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hollywood, florida
Posts: 3,067
well im still curious as to how they perform off road. some of you say it's not bad at all with the 4 cylinder, and some say don't do it. i would logically assume the 6 is better, abit more power. however i have just been looking all over florida, 6 cylinder YJ models are damn near impossible to find. im also looking for at least a 95 model...
__________________
2014 Copperhead Pearl Wrangler Unlimited Sport

Claiming to be Off-road 24/7 and living the Mountain man life. that's the WF member way
donmeca2020 is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:27 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
mijeeper80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by donmeca2020 View Post
well im still curious as to how they perform off road. some of you say it's not bad at all with the 4 cylinder, and some say don't do it. i would logically assume the 6 is better, abit more power. however i have just been looking all over florida, 6 cylinder YJ models are damn near impossible to find. im also looking for at least a 95 model...
the best thing I could recommend is DO NOT sacrifice the rest of the jeep just because it has a 6, I did that 2 years ago, had a jasper motor straight 6 but the rest of it was so bad that I thought the tub was going to fall off had I hit a corner too fast and any welder I talked to said don't waste your time with it so I didn't, bought a 4 in great shape and a damn solid 4 cyl motor and don't regret it one bit. My jasper 6 was "slightly " better on the highway and no better offroad.
mijeeper80 is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:28 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
billiebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Kootenays, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 4,119
Nothing wrong with the 4 banger. As long as yer not towing or computing on the interstate you will do fine. Since it is lighter it will be better than the six shooter at the beach if you don't add a bunch of weight.

I'd buy the one in the best shape. Don't let the number of cylinders fool you. 4 or 6.. either one is a great YJ.
__________________
My Uncles first Jeep was Government issued in 1944..
When all Jeeps were Government issued.
billiebob is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:30 PM
Thread Starter
  #15
Jeeper
 
donmeca2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hollywood, florida
Posts: 3,067
i'll keep that in mind. apparently there are some nice prime examples of YJ 4 cylinders all over florida. and yes of course the body is a important thing, i don't want something beaten to hell that badly. lol
__________________
2014 Copperhead Pearl Wrangler Unlimited Sport

Claiming to be Off-road 24/7 and living the Mountain man life. that's the WF member way
donmeca2020 is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:30 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
mijeeper80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiebob View Post
Nothing wrong with the 4 banger. As long as yer not towing or computing on the interstate you will do fine. Since it is lighter it will be better than the six shooter at the beach if you don't add a bunch of weight. I'd buy the one in the best shape. Don't let the number of cylinders fool you. 4 or 6.. either one is a great YJ.
that's as close to a jinx as I can think of lol. ^ what he said
mijeeper80 is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:31 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
billiebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Kootenays, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 4,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by donmeca2020 View Post
well im still curious as to how they perform off road. some of you say it's not bad at all with the 4 cylinder, and some say don't do it. i would logically assume the 6 is better, abit more power. however i have just been looking all over florida, 6 cylinder YJ models are damn near impossible to find. im also looking for at least a 95 model...
Power is not as critical off road as it is on the Interstate. OffRoad, 4WD, LowRange.... horse power is not a factor.

Those who say don't do it just don't know how to drive.
__________________
My Uncles first Jeep was Government issued in 1944..
When all Jeeps were Government issued.
billiebob is offline   Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:40 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
dman2721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sunny Florida
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijeeper80 View Post
the best thing i could recommend is do not sacrifice the rest of the jeep just because it has a 6,
^^^^best advice^^^^^
x2
__________________
1995 YJ - 2.5L - First YJ!
dman2721 is offline   Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:03 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
sudsytimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Posts: 229
It's a big balancing act. My cousin is thinking of getting his son a Jeep, and we've been talking through all of this stuff. Sure the 6 is more desirable. It's pretty even as far as fuel economy (I've had a 4 cylinder TJ and now have a 6 cylinder YJ and the MPG's are equivalent, if not better in the YJ), and the 6 will just give you more power. However, how much power do you need? The 4 is just fine generally speaking, and like a lot of people have said, don't sacrifice a good frame for two cylinders. Don't sacrifice other stuff you may be able to get just to get those two cylinders. For example, hard top and soft top, maybe full steel doors and half doors, etc. etc. etc.

When it comes to a twenty-plus-year-old Jeep, there's a lot that has already happened to it, and a lot that's been fixed, and probably a good amount that hasn't.

At this point with these vehicles, it becomes pretty much Jeep by Jeep. You have to look at each example on its own and ask yourself: Is it worth the asking price?

Don't forget, the price you pay for the Jeep itself is only the beginning ....

Good luck and have fun!
__________________
sudsytimmy is offline   Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:32 PM   #20
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: northern Michigan
Posts: 9
Current 5 speed, 4 cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmeca2020 View Post
Hey guys, My father and i have been toying with the idea of purchasing an older jeep. im kinda of partial to the YJ, and he's opening to any older open roof jeep.

Anyways as i been searching all around in FL, i see there are TONS of 4 cylinder YJ models available. now my question to all of you is, how good is the 4 cylinder motor versions? im sure they're not as capable off road as the 6 cylinder. any info would help thanks guys !!!
I drove a '74 cj-5 , built v-8, 3 speed stick, and 32 inch tires, daily for 15 years. I now have a '92 yj, 4 cly., 5 speed. We drive it all over the norhtern tip of Michigan, on the road sometime, but maybe 80% off-road.

I prefer the '92 off-road. It does fine on pavement with the 32 in tires and 4 inch lift, but it gets way better gas mileage, and off road it goes just about anywhere (in Michigan) that the v-8 did, maybe just not as fast.
I'd use these guidelines, 1. Air conditioning and automatic, 6 or 8 cylinders. 2. No air, stick shift, a strong 4 cylinder will do fine.
One other thing , my 92 doesn't have power steering. I'd recommend power steering, especially on the trails with big tires!
greybeard51 is offline   Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:02 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Acidhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 329
Offroad is fine with the 4 cylinder. There is a big difference in power when on the highway and almost no significant difference in mpg. Even though you aren't buying it to flip, resale is a lot harder on a 4 cylinder. There is a reason that your local CL is filled with 4 cylinders. The 6 cylinders usually get scooped up. Again, not your biggest concern now but more than likely it will be. If it were me, I would wait for a six. I've driven both and I won't ever do a 4 cylinder again.
__________________
1997 TJ Sport
Acidhouse is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:43 PM
Thread Starter
  #22
Jeeper
 
donmeca2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hollywood, florida
Posts: 3,067
well once again thanks for the info guys !! we're still looking around for a good deal and one that really catches our eye.
__________________
2014 Copperhead Pearl Wrangler Unlimited Sport

Claiming to be Off-road 24/7 and living the Mountain man life. that's the WF member way
donmeca2020 is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 01:28 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
roadyrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: west palm fla
Posts: 1,272
I was just looking on S Fl craigslist and saw quite a few 6 cyl. for sale. if you want a 95 or newer you are really limiting yourself with only one year to choose from. if it has to be that year or newer you should check some of the older TJ's out too.
if you must have a YJ then expanding your search to all FI years will help.
__________________
1987, 4,2, rebuilt, head casting cleaned up, port matched and milled-9.5 compression, hotter cam holley 4 bbl
roadyrob is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:08 PM
Thread Starter
  #24
Jeeper
 
donmeca2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hollywood, florida
Posts: 3,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadyrob View Post
I was just looking on S Fl craigslist and saw quite a few 6 cyl. for sale. if you want a 95 or newer you are really limiting yourself with only one year to choose from. if it has to be that year or newer you should check some of the older TJ's out too.
if you must have a YJ then expanding your search to all FI years will help.
i would prefer a 95 but would be open to a another year of the YJ depending on condition and pricing.
__________________
2014 Copperhead Pearl Wrangler Unlimited Sport

Claiming to be Off-road 24/7 and living the Mountain man life. that's the WF member way
donmeca2020 is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:11 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
mijeeper80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by donmeca2020 View Post
i would prefer a 95 but would be open to a another year of the YJ depending on condition and pricing.
anything past 92 is going to be very compatible
mijeeper80 is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:16 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
mijeeper80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by donmeca2020 View Post
i would prefer a 95 but would be open to a another year of the YJ depending on condition and pricing.
anything after 92 is going to be good the 95 had some options the previous years don't but not enough for me to worry about. Mine is a 93 and I love it even with the 2.5
mijeeper80 is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:16 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
mijeeper80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,016
Damn shitty signal,
mijeeper80 is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:42 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
bigearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Redneckistan, NM
Posts: 1,663
Idk about everybody saying the mileage is crap in a 4 banger. Mine gets 22mpg commuting me around town and on the freeway from the farm to town. Just keep it in good shape and it will take care of you!

bigearl is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.