Hello All, so a little backstory on this one, Purchased used w/ 80K miles a year ago to be utilized as a pavement princess for towing my 96 XJ (R.I.P.) & possibly a nice old TJ. Didn't happen. XJ went down hill. Got a new Job, relocated to the City & no need to drive at all! (Jeep just sits all week, I take a train to work now.) So now this Pavement Princess is going to become our Expedition Vehicle for roadtripping the United States & Camping out of the vehicle. So here is my "Budget" Build so far. We are big into Water Sports, Kayaking, Surfing amongst all other general outdoor activities.
Started building this out 2 weeks ago. I only have access to a garage on the weekend (it would be 100% done if I had my own area to work on the jeep, not a big fan of doing it on a city street.)
2 Weekends Ago,
--- I did the Angry Eyes Grill to give the jeep some attitude (Also Removed Fenders)
--- Removed Running Boards, Added some Steel Nerf Bars (I don't plan on doing HardCore Rock Crawling, Happy Medium between protection & Step Up for the Wife) & Added Hinge Steps for the future roof cage & rack
This past Weekend
I removed both stock bumpers & added a tubular rear & stubby front w/ winch plate. Front bumper was a real pain in the ass to get off, didn't realize that part.
(I also took this opportunity to sand off the rust & apply some rust protectant black paint all over the bumper mounts both front & rear.)
---- Anybody else take there front bumper off without lifting & using an impact wrench? This was the only way i was able to get the inner bolts off haha
What I Actually Have, Waiting & Ready to be put on the Vehicle
- TrailFX Roof Rack J029T (Still Boxed)
- Thule M.O.A.B. Roof Rack - Completed
- Cheapo (oEdRo*) Solid Steel Fenders (Thin, low profile, cheap) (Still Boxed)
- SmittyBuilt 9500lb XRC Winch (Still Boxed)
- Rugged Ridge Dana 30
, Rough Country Dana 44
, Smittybuilt Transmission
Skid Plates (Still Boxed)
- 2" Wheel Spacers
- 30" LED Center-Roof Mounted Lightbar & x2 4" LEDs for left & right roof mount (Still Boxed)
- Limb Risers (Still Boxed)
*** The Thule M.O.A.B.
was previously on my XJ, just re-outfitted it with x4 2.5 Gallon gas jugs mounted w/ locks. The rack is the perfect size to carry 2 Kayaks, 2 Large Surfboards & all the gas (+ a little extra room.)
It also has a shovel mount on one side. (The Mounts are actually ATV Gun Mounts repurposed)
This will be mounted on the rear half of the TrailFX Full Bodied Roof Rack/Cage with the front half of the vehicles roof left open for various misc. storage / usage (Solar Panel possible)
What I Don't Have Yet & Still Need
- Larger Tires, Looking 315/70R17, keeping stock wheels.
Thinking These - https://www.ntb.com/sku/sku4670015/discoverer-rtx
- Leveling Kit / Budget Lift - Any Suggestions for Budget Lifts?
- Once above stuff is all situation, I am going to get dimensions the rear of the Jeep ( I have the set of 2 back seats removed w/ 1 remaining for extra passenger) & cutout a peice of plywood, Mount it & use that as a base.
- Currently the wife & I are looking at plans for how we want to create mounted shelving w/ storage, slide out racks of the rear for stove & refrigerator.
- Still need to create electrical systems area for storage of extra battery that hooks up to a solar kit, power inverters, etc ( I want to mount this high up on the vehicle )
- Water Storage, After the installation of the roof racks, I want to run a large PVC pipe down the side of the jeeps roof racks to house a large amount of water.
- No Plan to have a Roof Top Tent. Just FYI, way overpriced in my opinion when something like this is just as easy to set up https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...B9W90JZG&psc=1
Alrighty so finally got a chance to install the roof rack & roof basket - still trying to figure out my tire situation / what lift kit to get. Even though I also have the fenders, staying fenderless for now until i get the tires. here it is
Now that the roof racks installed, going to start planning out the wiring for the light bar, 2x led side lights & winch - as well as try to see if i'm able to configure some kinda slide out solar panel & drawing out plans for water storage.