Hard Rock Rubi - Page 65 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Build Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree1228Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-14-2017, 06:49 AM
Thread Starter
  #1921
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Buildit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzey View Post
Method 105 beadlocks. Lightweight, which I know youíll appreciate. Seems like beadlocks are under 4Ē backspace (Hutchinsonís are not), Methods are 3.5Ē which is what I wanted. But that should be a consideration as well.

I have the 2way air system which I use to air up with ARB twin compressor. Sometimes Iíll use it to air down, but mostly use the Staun deflators now. Iím less nit picky now with the beadlocks, which is why I say 8-10psi. Itís around there somewhere 🤣




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah yes, the 105's. That's a really nice wheel, and you have some choices on B.S.. How's the 105 for holding air, any slow loss of air from the beadlock? Do you have the option of running them seated on the rim bead, non-beaadlock like the Mopar beadlock?

I quickly realized I want/need air out on the trail. That's probably next for me. Can't decide between the Staun and ARB for deflators. Thanks for sharing your real world experience...so valuable and appreciated



-Steven

__________________
~2016 Hard Rock~Auto~4:88~JWSpeaker~Recon~Banks Ram-Air~~Mopar Performance BBK~MetalCloak 3.5" GC/Falcon 3.3~Method Race/OMF~37" MXT~TeraFlex HD Carrier~VPR 126-S-S~Warn M8000-S ~KMS Lo-Pro Mod~

~To See What I'm Up To, Follow Me Here~ https://www.expeditionbuilds.com
Buildit is online now   Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:17 AM   #1922
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildit View Post
Ah yes, the 105's. That's a really nice wheel, and you have some choices on B.S.. How's the 105 for holding air, any slow loss of air from the beadlock? Do you have the option of running them seated on the rim bead, non-beaadlock like the Mopar beadlock?

I quickly realized I want/need air out on the trail. That's probably next for me. Can't decide between the Staun and ARB for deflators. Thanks for sharing your real world experience...so valuable and appreciated



-Steven
The Staun deflators are pretty cool, although initially setting them up is a PITA! and my worry is that the actuators will stick and so it would make sense to manual check them after with a gauge anyway. I like the simple use of the ARB personally and since there is a gauge attached you can make sure your pressures are where you want them.

GhostZ71 is offline   Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:25 AM   #1923
Jeeper
 
Kidzey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildit View Post
Ah yes, the 105's. That's a really nice wheel, and you have some choices on B.S.. How's the 105 for holding air, any slow loss of air from the beadlock? Do you have the option of running them seated on the rim bead, non-beaadlock like the Mopar beadlock?



I quickly realized I want/need air out on the trail. That's probably next for me. Can't decide between the Staun and ARB for deflators. Thanks for sharing your real world experience...so valuable and appreciated







-Steven


No loss of air. Holding quite well. Not sure if can be seated without locks.

Stauns are fast. Seem to be pretty consistent as far as end point at each setting. But they kept loosening up and changing on me, no matter how tight I locked it down. But again, with beadlocks precision is less critical for me now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2015 JKUR-HR. 2.5" MC GC ARB, 37 KO2
Kidzey is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-14-2017, 10:59 AM
Thread Starter
  #1924
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Buildit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostZ71 View Post
The Staun deflators are pretty cool, although initially setting them up is a PITA! and my worry is that the actuators will stick and so it would make sense to manual check them after with a gauge anyway. I like the simple use of the ARB personally and since there is a gauge attached you can make sure your pressures are where you want them.
Thanks Ghost! I was doing a little research and found this from 4Wheeler Magazine:



The ARB might be the way to go. Keep in mind, you would have to multiply the ARB by 4 (4 tires), still very fast. I know I would be reaching for a gauge any way to check them.

I'll PM you in a bit!


-Steven
__________________
~2016 Hard Rock~Auto~4:88~JWSpeaker~Recon~Banks Ram-Air~~Mopar Performance BBK~MetalCloak 3.5" GC/Falcon 3.3~Method Race/OMF~37" MXT~TeraFlex HD Carrier~VPR 126-S-S~Warn M8000-S ~KMS Lo-Pro Mod~

~To See What I'm Up To, Follow Me Here~ https://www.expeditionbuilds.com
Buildit is online now   Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:10 AM   #1925
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 17
great write up
Buildit likes this.
Patroncris is offline   Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:23 AM
Thread Starter
  #1926
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Buildit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzey View Post
No loss of air. Holding quite well. Not sure if can be seated without locks.

Stauns are fast. Seem to be pretty consistent as far as end point at each setting. But they kept loosening up and changing on me, no matter how tight I locked it down. But again, with beadlocks precision is less critical for me now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Kidzey! That loosening up (jam nut) on the Stauns is mentioned in the FourWheeler article. Thanks again.



-Steven
__________________
~2016 Hard Rock~Auto~4:88~JWSpeaker~Recon~Banks Ram-Air~~Mopar Performance BBK~MetalCloak 3.5" GC/Falcon 3.3~Method Race/OMF~37" MXT~TeraFlex HD Carrier~VPR 126-S-S~Warn M8000-S ~KMS Lo-Pro Mod~

~To See What I'm Up To, Follow Me Here~ https://www.expeditionbuilds.com
Buildit is online now   Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:01 PM   #1927
Jeeper
 
Kidzey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildit View Post
Thanks Ghost! I was doing a little research and found this from 4Wheeler Magazine:







The ARB might be the way to go. Keep in mind, you would have to multiply the ARB by 4 (4 tires), still very fast. I know I would be reaching for a gauge any way to check them.



I'll PM you in a bit!





-Steven


Oh the ARB EZ deflator. I have that too. Hardly ever use it. Doesnít catch well on valve core consistently so then itís a partial deflate. When it catches and pulls, it is quick. But overall itís still just as much time to do it. Maybe thereís a learning curve to catching the core to release, but I found this to be the most cumbersome.

Iíve got a pressure gauge on my 2way air set up too. And that gets all 4 at the same time... about 6-7 minutes of deflation. 2-3 minutes for hookup and disconnect.

At the end of it all , itís about 10 minutes for me any way. ARB is 10 minutes dedicated to deflation, have to stay with it. 2way and Staun you can put on, and go do other things while they deflate. Staun you can even start rolling into line with the group if youíre late (which I often am


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2015 JKUR-HR. 2.5" MC GC ARB, 37 KO2
Kidzey is offline   Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:29 PM   #1928
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Mesa, Az
Posts: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildit View Post
Hey Ghost! The trip was really fantastic...I find myself daydreaming about it often. Not too many places I've been have had that effect upon me.

The 37's made a huge difference on the trail. I had read about this from others, but having a chance to compare them year to year with the 35's taught me a lot. The larger diameter allows them to roll up on objects so much easier. I also understand why the 17" wheel is so popular among Jeepers. Having more rubber around the wheel is a huge benefit as you challenge those huge rocks.

Keep in touch regarding moving West...I'd love to wheel with you. Next year, I'm thinking I might want to do Ouray, CO., as it is on the way to Moab. Finding the time is always the challenge.


-Steven
Because you are less likely to bend a wheel, right?
AzScooter is offline   Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:33 PM   #1929
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Mesa, Az
Posts: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando perez lavin View Post
is amazing, words couldn't even describe it. my most expensive mod to the jeep LOL.
That is one that you will not regret, for at least fourteen or fifteen years. Even then, they move back up on the appreciation level after a couple of years.
RichL35 likes this.
AzScooter is offline   Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:45 PM
Thread Starter
  #1930
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Buildit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzey View Post
Oh the ARB EZ deflator. I have that too. Hardly ever use it. Doesnít catch well on valve core consistently so then itís a partial deflate. When it catches and pulls, it is quick. But overall itís still just as much time to do it. Maybe thereís a learning curve to catching the core to release, but I found this to be the most cumbersome.

Iíve got a pressure gauge on my 2way air set up too. And that gets all 4 at the same time... about 6-7 minutes of deflation. 2-3 minutes for hookup and disconnect.

At the end of it all , itís about 10 minutes for me any way. ARB is 10 minutes dedicated to deflation, have to stay with it. 2way and Staun you can put on, and go do other things while they deflate. Staun you can even start rolling into line with the group if youíre late (which I often am


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kidzey, you're a gentleman and a scholar! I'm digging this knowledge

Do you have a pic of your setup in action? Is this in your thread? If so, I'll head over there.


-Steven
Kidzey likes this.
__________________
~2016 Hard Rock~Auto~4:88~JWSpeaker~Recon~Banks Ram-Air~~Mopar Performance BBK~MetalCloak 3.5" GC/Falcon 3.3~Method Race/OMF~37" MXT~TeraFlex HD Carrier~VPR 126-S-S~Warn M8000-S ~KMS Lo-Pro Mod~

~To See What I'm Up To, Follow Me Here~ https://www.expeditionbuilds.com
Buildit is online now   Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:52 PM
Thread Starter
  #1931
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Buildit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzScooter View Post
Because you are less likely to bend a wheel, right?
Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzScooter View Post
That is one that you will not regret, for at least fourteen or fifteen years. Even then, they move back up on the appreciation level after a couple of years.
This man (AzScooter) speaks from experience! You figure out that when they are around 20 years old they heard you all the time...they just need to figure it all out on their own terms. Never stop loving/teaching/talking to them...they are hearing you!

Wow...got very deep/philosophical there From Jeeping to parenting...all in one thread...LOL.


-Steven
__________________
~2016 Hard Rock~Auto~4:88~JWSpeaker~Recon~Banks Ram-Air~~Mopar Performance BBK~MetalCloak 3.5" GC/Falcon 3.3~Method Race/OMF~37" MXT~TeraFlex HD Carrier~VPR 126-S-S~Warn M8000-S ~KMS Lo-Pro Mod~

~To See What I'm Up To, Follow Me Here~ https://www.expeditionbuilds.com
Buildit is online now   Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:32 PM   #1932
Jeeper
 
fernando perez lavin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: mexico
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildit View Post
I know the feeling...nothing else like it! Great looking family you have there my friend!


-Steven
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzScooter View Post
That is one that you will not regret, for at least fourteen or fifteen years. Even then, they move back up on the appreciation level after a couple of years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildit View Post
Yes!


This man (AzScooter) speaks from experience! You figure out that when they are around 20 years old they heard you all the time...they just need to figure it all out on their own terms. Never stop loving/teaching/talking to them...they are hearing you!

Wow...got very deep/philosophical there From Jeeping to parenting...all in one thread...LOL.


-Steven
i appreciate the kind words and keep in mind what you guys say about the teen years LOL.
and Steven come on man we want to see more photos we know you have more!
__________________
build thread 2012 JKUR 4" suspension?? FOX reservior Shocks Quadratec led headlights and a little more.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/by...l#post28651258
fernando perez lavin is offline   Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:12 PM
Thread Starter
  #1933
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Buildit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando perez lavin View Post
i appreciate the kind words and keep in mind what you guys say about the teen years LOL.
and Steven come on man we want to see more photos we know you have more!
I hear ya Fernando! Enough words, show me more pics.

Work has been kicking my butt, I was on the road all last week and through the weekend. I'll be finishing Part 3 of Kane Creek soon...pics included


-Steven
__________________
~2016 Hard Rock~Auto~4:88~JWSpeaker~Recon~Banks Ram-Air~~Mopar Performance BBK~MetalCloak 3.5" GC/Falcon 3.3~Method Race/OMF~37" MXT~TeraFlex HD Carrier~VPR 126-S-S~Warn M8000-S ~KMS Lo-Pro Mod~

~To See What I'm Up To, Follow Me Here~ https://www.expeditionbuilds.com
Buildit is online now   Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:23 PM   #1934
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RichL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Shore, Mass
Posts: 2,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzScooter View Post
That is one that you will not regret, for at least fourteen or fifteen years. Even then, they move back up on the appreciation level after a couple of years.
Oh god, isn't that the truth... I have 4 girls. Ages 26, 24, 22, and.... 3. As soon as they become teens they pretty much hate you (it feels like it anyway) until around 18 -20 years old when they start to realize you weren't just trying to ruin their lives by keeping them safe and offering them your advise. It's rough!
__________________
Nemesis is getting an LS this winter with a Motech install kit. Want to see how easy or hard the install is.... Follow here.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/ne...e-2149753.html

What am I up too..? Browse some photos here. (Imgbb link)
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f31/ric...s-2163905.html
RichL35 is offline   Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:26 PM   #1935
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RichL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Shore, Mass
Posts: 2,643
@Buildit I have a question about your build. When you installed the Teraflex axle did you do anything to relocate your lower shock mounts like you had previously?
__________________
Nemesis is getting an LS this winter with a Motech install kit. Want to see how easy or hard the install is.... Follow here.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/ne...e-2149753.html

What am I up too..? Browse some photos here. (Imgbb link)
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f31/ric...s-2163905.html
RichL35 is offline   Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:42 PM
Thread Starter
  #1936
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Buildit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL35 View Post
Oh god, isn't that the truth... I have 4 girls. Ages 26, 24, 22, and.... 3. As soon as they become teens they pretty much hate you (it feels like it anyway) until around 18 -20 years old when they start to realize you weren't just trying to ruin their lives by keeping them safe and offering them your advise. It's rough!
Boom, truth right there! It all comes around thank goodness!

Two boys and two girls in my household. I wouldn't trade it for anything.


-Steven
__________________
~2016 Hard Rock~Auto~4:88~JWSpeaker~Recon~Banks Ram-Air~~Mopar Performance BBK~MetalCloak 3.5" GC/Falcon 3.3~Method Race/OMF~37" MXT~TeraFlex HD Carrier~VPR 126-S-S~Warn M8000-S ~KMS Lo-Pro Mod~

~To See What I'm Up To, Follow Me Here~ https://www.expeditionbuilds.com
Buildit is online now   Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:57 PM
Thread Starter
  #1937
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Buildit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL35 View Post
@Buildit I have a question about your build. When you installed the Teraflex axle did you do anything to relocate your lower shock mounts like you had previously?
Hi Rich. I was previously running the MetalCloak front shock relocation brackets with my stock axle. Those M.C. brackets move the shock outward for better clearance off the frame.

On the new Tera 44, I didn't use them. I seem to remember that with the beefed up 1/4" brackets TeraFlex uses, the M.C. brackets wouldn't fit. I'm also running the TeraFlex Falcon 3.3 shocks. These feature an offset bracket at the top to gain frame clearance. I did not see any contact, shock to frame with this set-up on the trails.


-Steven
__________________
~2016 Hard Rock~Auto~4:88~JWSpeaker~Recon~Banks Ram-Air~~Mopar Performance BBK~MetalCloak 3.5" GC/Falcon 3.3~Method Race/OMF~37" MXT~TeraFlex HD Carrier~VPR 126-S-S~Warn M8000-S ~KMS Lo-Pro Mod~

~To See What I'm Up To, Follow Me Here~ https://www.expeditionbuilds.com
Buildit is online now   Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:16 PM   #1938
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RichL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Shore, Mass
Posts: 2,643
I run the Falcon 3.3s as well. I have with the stock housing flexed out enough to just touch the frame on both front shock bodies. Not enough to damage anything but transferred some paint onto the shock. I have been considering fabbing up something similar to the Metalcloak brackets to fit the Teraflex housing.

By the way, did you see at SEMA Teraflex displayed a new Falcon 3.3 (3.4?) That was electronically adjustable from inside the cabin from a controller? No, I don't NEED it.. but it's pretty cool.
__________________
Nemesis is getting an LS this winter with a Motech install kit. Want to see how easy or hard the install is.... Follow here.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/ne...e-2149753.html

What am I up too..? Browse some photos here. (Imgbb link)
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f31/ric...s-2163905.html
RichL35 is offline   Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:33 PM
Thread Starter
  #1939
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Buildit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL35 View Post
I run the Falcon 3.3s as well. I have with the stock housing flexed out enough to just touch the frame on both front shock bodies. Not enough to damage anything but transferred some paint onto the shock. I have been considering fabbing up something similar to the Metalcloak brackets to fit the Teraflex housing.

By the way, did you see at SEMA Teraflex displayed a new Falcon 3.3 (3.4?) That was electronically adjustable from inside the cabin from a controller? No, I don't NEED it.. but it's pretty cool.
Fabbing some up would be very cool! I remember when we were doing the install that to make the M.C. brackets work, I would have to remove metal from either the M.C. bracket or the axle mount, neither of which made any sense. I wonder if the Tera 44 locates the shock mounting bracket in the same place as stock?

I did see the 3.4, cool tech to be sure! I wonder how complex that system is?


-Steven
__________________
~2016 Hard Rock~Auto~4:88~JWSpeaker~Recon~Banks Ram-Air~~Mopar Performance BBK~MetalCloak 3.5" GC/Falcon 3.3~Method Race/OMF~37" MXT~TeraFlex HD Carrier~VPR 126-S-S~Warn M8000-S ~KMS Lo-Pro Mod~

~To See What I'm Up To, Follow Me Here~ https://www.expeditionbuilds.com
Buildit is online now   Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:33 PM   #1940
Jeeper
 
Kidzey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildit View Post
Kidzey, you're a gentleman and a scholar! I'm digging this knowledge



Do you have a pic of your setup in action? Is this in your thread? If so, I'll head over there.





-Steven

See if that works. Think itís post #239 in case it doesnít.

My "White Rock" Build, 2015 JKUR-HR
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...6&share_type=t



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2015 JKUR-HR. 2.5" MC GC ARB, 37 KO2
Kidzey is offline   Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:12 PM
Thread Starter
  #1941
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Buildit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzey View Post
See if that works. Think itís post #239 in case it doesnít.

My "White Rock" Build, 2015 JKUR-HR
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...6&share_type=t



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's it! Page 8, post #239, thanks again. I love the way you set that up

Having worked with it for a while, would you do anything differently regarding your onboard set-up?


-Steven
__________________
~2016 Hard Rock~Auto~4:88~JWSpeaker~Recon~Banks Ram-Air~~Mopar Performance BBK~MetalCloak 3.5" GC/Falcon 3.3~Method Race/OMF~37" MXT~TeraFlex HD Carrier~VPR 126-S-S~Warn M8000-S ~KMS Lo-Pro Mod~

~To See What I'm Up To, Follow Me Here~ https://www.expeditionbuilds.com
Buildit is online now   Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:02 PM   #1942
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildit View Post
Thanks Ghost! I was doing a little research and found this from 4Wheeler Magazine:

The ARB might be the way to go. Keep in mind, you would have to multiply the ARB by 4 (4 tires), still very fast. I know I would be reaching for a gauge any way to check them.




-Steven
Hey Steven

In the summer I spend most of my time on the beach so sometimes I'm airing down 2 -3 times a day. I found myself spending more time airing up and down than on the beach. The other issue is in Assateque Island where we spend a lot of time, they limit the number of vehicles allowed on the beach so I needed something that would get the job done quickly so I wouldn't loose my place in the waiting line. I looked at all of these things, tried a few (wish I had all the money back I spent on them!!) I finally went with the PowerTank Monster Valves, I know most folks don't like them because of cost and installation. They are expensive and you have to drill and tap your wheels, but once I got over that, it really was very easy to do. I can go from 30 to 15 on 4 wheels in about 4 minutes. The big advantage here is you can attach a pressure gauge to the stock valve stem and then open the Monster Valve and watch the gauge dial go down until you get the pressure right where you want it. The hardest part of the job is taking off the valve stem cap and watching the pressure gauge needle fly down!
billybobjku is online now   Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:57 PM
Thread Starter
  #1943
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Buildit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobjku View Post
Hey Steven

In the summer I spend most of my time on the beach so sometimes I'm airing down 2 -3 times a day. I found myself spending more time airing up and down than on the beach. The other issue is in Assateque Island where we spend a lot of time, they limit the number of vehicles allowed on the beach so I needed something that would get the job done quickly so I wouldn't loose my place in the waiting line. I looked at all of these things, tried a few (wish I had all the money back I spent on them!!) I finally went with the PowerTank Monster Valves, I know most folks don't like them because of cost and installation. They are expensive and you have to drill and tap your wheels, but once I got over that, it really was very easy to do. I can go from 30 to 15 on 4 wheels in about 4 minutes. The big advantage here is you can attach a pressure gauge to the stock valve stem and then open the Monster Valve and watch the gauge dial go down until you get the pressure right where you want it. The hardest part of the job is taking off the valve stem cap and watching the pressure gauge needle fly down!
Hey Billy, thanks for sharing your knowledge of this. This would be the ultimate! In the article I referenced in an earlier post, the PowerTank Monster Valves were the fastest. Here's a chart for comparison...



I was on the PowerTank site, and they state you can drill and tap the wheel with the tires mounted. Did you do yours this way, or did you install these with the tires removed. I'd be a little worried about metal shavings from drilling getting inside the tire. This may be a mod I do when it's time for new rubber...hmmm!



-Steven
__________________
~2016 Hard Rock~Auto~4:88~JWSpeaker~Recon~Banks Ram-Air~~Mopar Performance BBK~MetalCloak 3.5" GC/Falcon 3.3~Method Race/OMF~37" MXT~TeraFlex HD Carrier~VPR 126-S-S~Warn M8000-S ~KMS Lo-Pro Mod~

~To See What I'm Up To, Follow Me Here~ https://www.expeditionbuilds.com
Buildit is online now   Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:57 AM   #1944
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 255
I drilled with the tires on. Used 2 drills and I put more air the tires before I started drilling. The air escaping from the tire while you're drilling clears most of the shavings and I had a shopvac going. No issues so far, did all summer with them, you know me I drive all over earth so I've probably done over 10K-15K with them on there, no pressure sensor issues either. The only thing I don't like is some clown could stop by while I'm parked and let all the air out of my tires pretty quickly!! Next project proximity sensor alarm!
Buildit likes this.
billybobjku is online now   Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:21 AM   #1945
Jeeper
 
Kidzey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildit View Post
That's it! Page 8, post #239, thanks again. I love the way you set that up



Having worked with it for a while, would you do anything differently regarding your onboard set-up?





-Steven


You can do a blow off valve setup, so when it hits a certain pressure itíll stop. Should have done that but I wanted flexibility and variability. Good if you always go to the same pressure or talk a lot and stop paying attention. Once I got chatty and let it air up to almost 40 before realizing! Good thing is just as easy to let that air out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buildit likes this.
__________________
2015 JKUR-HR. 2.5" MC GC ARB, 37 KO2
Kidzey is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:24 PM
Thread Starter
  #1946
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Buildit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,958
Kane Creek Trail Part 3

Time to finish up the last part of Kane Creek Canyon. I left off with us beginning to work our way through the last sections of the creek and canyon. The trail through here will rise and fall, taking you in and out of the creek many times. I can imagine in the Spring, this could have a lot of water down here...







The trail can run you through the creek...it keeps you on your toes looking for markers...








At this point in the day, we had been out for about six hours, as we were stopping often to shoot pics and drone footage. I remember thinking to myself that we had probably worked our way through the toughest spots...boy was I wrong! The trail begins to get narrow in many places, featuring washouts, so I was really watching where I was placing my front tire on the cliff side. Just past this turn, you begin a slow climb up towards Horseshoe Canyon.







As you enter Horseshoe Canyon, it begins to really climb up. I stopped here for a moment to survey what was ahead of us. To my immediate right I see a sign telling me exactly where we are. This is the infamous Hambuger Hill!







We got out to walk this, just about half way up you find this...I'm 6'5"...




This part of the trail is NO JOKE! After picking out my line, up we go. To get past the huge obstacle in the previous pic, you can stay to the right. That line will pitch you pretty hard towards the canyon, with your driver front tire right on the edge. This really got my heart pumping...







This is where you place your driver side front...easy does it. Down in the canyon on the left you can see the UTV trail. Look ahead, can you spot the trail as it follows the edge of the canyon?




After you survive the "Hill", you are on a narrow ledge around beautiful Horseshoe Canyon...




...the next sections give you these two fun obstacles..




...this is the upper end of "Waterfall"...



This was one of my favorite trails I've run so far. It has a little bit of everything, and when you are good and tired, it throws Hamburger Hill at you. When you finally get back to the highway heading back into town, you look at each other and say "damn", we survived that!

It also taught me a lot about where my build is, and what I want next on Rubi. Time to leave the trail, this day is done, and what a day it's been. Stay tuned, 7 Mile Rim is up next.



-Steven
__________________
~2016 Hard Rock~Auto~4:88~JWSpeaker~Recon~Banks Ram-Air~~Mopar Performance BBK~MetalCloak 3.5" GC/Falcon 3.3~Method Race/OMF~37" MXT~TeraFlex HD Carrier~VPR 126-S-S~Warn M8000-S ~KMS Lo-Pro Mod~

~To See What I'm Up To, Follow Me Here~ https://www.expeditionbuilds.com
Buildit is online now   Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:10 PM   #1947
Jeeper
 
u_konreaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Logan
Posts: 679
Great pictorial journey! That shelf looks impossible.........until you tackle it. It amazes me every time how easy you can get over some amazing terrain. Isn't it funny how these trips impress you with how well your rig performs, but you always find that little thing that still needs tweaking. I think you alluded to it earlier, but onboard air is a huge one for me now. It's about time for some more power too.

I can't wait to see the next installment.


Current build: 2016 JKUR Hardrock
#HardrockREVjku

Past builds: '79 & '81 CJ7, 93 ZJ, 04 TJ Rubi
u_konreaper is offline   Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:06 AM
Thread Starter
  #1948
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Buildit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by u_konreaper View Post
Great pictorial journey! That shelf looks impossible.........until you tackle it. It amazes me every time how easy you can get over some amazing terrain. Isn't it funny how these trips impress you with how well your rig performs, but you always find that little thing that still needs tweaking. I think you alluded to it earlier, but onboard air is a huge one for me now. It's about time for some more power too.

I can't wait to see the next installment.


Current build: 2016 JKUR Hardrock
#HardrockREVjku

Past builds: '79 & '81 CJ7, 93 ZJ, 04 TJ Rubi
Thanks u_kon! You're so right, once you wheel your Jeep, you then have a new appreciation for what they are capable of. I'm still fairly new to this, and I know the Jeep is more capable than I am...that changes a little with each trip out.

I mentioned about being out on the trails pretty much solo many times. I definitely want onboard air, and additional armor. Thanks for following along


-Steven
__________________
~2016 Hard Rock~Auto~4:88~JWSpeaker~Recon~Banks Ram-Air~~Mopar Performance BBK~MetalCloak 3.5" GC/Falcon 3.3~Method Race/OMF~37" MXT~TeraFlex HD Carrier~VPR 126-S-S~Warn M8000-S ~KMS Lo-Pro Mod~

~To See What I'm Up To, Follow Me Here~ https://www.expeditionbuilds.com
Buildit is online now   Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:44 PM   #1949
Jeeper
 
Unbalanced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 149
Wow, Steven - looks like you guys had a great trip. Rubi's doing fine!

Refresh my memory, what do you currently have in the way of skids? And what are your priorities for adding more?
__________________
1986 CJ-7 (Farewell Old Friend)
2017 Unlimited Rubicon -
MetalCloak 2.5" GameChanger ~ Method/OMF ~ 315/70R17 Duratracs ~ AEV Bumpers ~
Warn Zeon 10-S Platinum ~ MetalCloak Flip Steps ~ ARB/Rigid LED's ~ Switch Pros ~ More to Come...

"Temporarily Detained" maybe, but ~never~ stuck...
Unbalanced is online now   Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:11 PM
Thread Starter
  #1950
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Buildit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbalanced View Post
Wow, Steven - looks like you guys had a great trip. Rubi's doing fine!

Refresh my memory, what do you currently have in the way of skids? And what are your priorities for adding more?
Hi Unbalanced! Moab was once again off the charts. I'm really happy with the way all the new mods performed out on the trail.

I am running the Rock Hard 4x4 transmission skid plate in aluminum. I have the factory Hard Rock gas tank skid, but I want to add the Rock Hard gas tank skid. I'll do that in aluminum as well to keep the weight in check. The factory skids are very thin metal. I want to be able to glide right off an obstacle, and know the only thing I'm hurting is removing a little paint.

Midway on the JKU is where you are most likely to drag, the front third of the gas tank area.


I will also be adding on board air, looking at ways to carry tools nicely, CB radio or something comparable and perhaps more storage.


-Steven

__________________
~2016 Hard Rock~Auto~4:88~JWSpeaker~Recon~Banks Ram-Air~~Mopar Performance BBK~MetalCloak 3.5" GC/Falcon 3.3~Method Race/OMF~37" MXT~TeraFlex HD Carrier~VPR 126-S-S~Warn M8000-S ~KMS Lo-Pro Mod~

~To See What I'm Up To, Follow Me Here~ https://www.expeditionbuilds.com
Buildit is online now   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeepģ, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC