Nemesis is getting an LS3... Motech Style! - Page 7 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Build Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree229Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-17-2018, 05:52 PM   #181
Jeep Newbie

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Squerly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 599
Yeah Rich, I agree with Steven. That's over the top nice. lol, looks like your wheeling days are over...

RichL35 and Buildit like this.
__________________
The Grim Reaper
2016 Rubicon*Auto*4:88*MetalCloak 3.5"*Vision Nemesis III*35" Ironman M/T

"That damn Jeep" 1988 YJ, 115,000 Miles
Squerly is offline   Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:24 PM
Thread Starter
  #182
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RichL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Shore, Mass
Posts: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
Yeah Rich, I agree with Steven. That's over the top nice. lol, looks like your wheeling days are over...
Thank you and Steven @Buildit but... no way! It will be a shame to scratch them up but they will be scratched. I just want them to look good 1 week. That's all I want. You know, for the magazine pictures! Hahaha
..

__________________
Nemesis is getting an LS this winter with a Motech install kit. Want to see how easy or hard the install is.... Follow here.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/ne...e-2149753.html

What am I up too..? Browse some photos here. (Imgbb link)
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f31/ric...s-2163905.html
RichL35 is online now   Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:27 PM   #183
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Buildit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL35 View Post
Thank you and Steven @Buildit but... no way! It will be a shame to scratch them up but they will be scratched. I just want them to look good 1 week. That's all I want. You know, for the magazine pictures! Hahaha
..
Well...I hope you have something lined up. It deserves a feature in one of the magazines.


-Steven
RichL35 likes this.
__________________
~2016 Hard Rock~Auto~4:88~JWSpeaker~Recon~Banks Ram-Air~~Mopar Performance BBK~MetalCloak 3.5" GC/Falcon 3.3~Method Race/OMF~37" MXT~TeraFlex HD Carrier~VPR 126-S-S~Warn M8000-S ~KMS Lo-Pro Mod~

~To See What I'm Up To, Follow Me Here~ https://www.expeditionbuilds.com
Buildit is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-17-2018, 10:18 PM
Thread Starter
  #184
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RichL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Shore, Mass
Posts: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildit View Post
Well...I hope you have something lined up. It deserves a feature in one of the magazines.


-Steven
I wish... but no. There are a lot of nice Jeeps out there and being on this coast I have no shot. It has however been in 2 calendars! I'll take that as a win! Haha...
Squerly likes this.
__________________
Nemesis is getting an LS this winter with a Motech install kit. Want to see how easy or hard the install is.... Follow here.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/ne...e-2149753.html

What am I up too..? Browse some photos here. (Imgbb link)
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f31/ric...s-2163905.html
RichL35 is online now   Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:12 AM   #185
Jeep Newbie

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Squerly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 599



Those welds are poetry
TRBOKEV and RichL35 like this.
__________________
The Grim Reaper
2016 Rubicon*Auto*4:88*MetalCloak 3.5"*Vision Nemesis III*35" Ironman M/T

"That damn Jeep" 1988 YJ, 115,000 Miles
Squerly is offline   Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:10 PM
Thread Starter
  #186
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RichL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Shore, Mass
Posts: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post



Those welds are poetry

Thank you! I appreciate that a lot.
__________________
Nemesis is getting an LS this winter with a Motech install kit. Want to see how easy or hard the install is.... Follow here.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/ne...e-2149753.html

What am I up too..? Browse some photos here. (Imgbb link)
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f31/ric...s-2163905.html
RichL35 is online now   Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:54 PM
Thread Starter
  #187
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RichL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Shore, Mass
Posts: 2,638
This is going to confuse people to why this is here but on @TimsJK build thread https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/s...3-2342433.html I made a comment as to a horrific weekend camping we had 2 summers ago. He is sharing a disaster of his own on his build thread and I didn't think it fair to clog up his thread with my story. By the way, Tim's is worse... Way worse!

So there is a little backstory to this. At the time I was being tested for what the doctors thought was a tumorous growth in my knee. I just had an MRI and some blood work done that ran WAY late and to be honest I wish we just missed the damn ferry! This weekend surrounds Crystal, my soon to be wife, my daughter Anna and myself.. Anna was 2 years old at the time...



Let me run you down our wonderful Martha’s Vineyard weekend.

We almost missed the ferry Friday afternoon to Vineyard Haven because my MRI ran late. I want to say I am a big guy. 6'3" and 265lbs or so. Small MRI tubes are not fun for me.. Laying in one for nearly 2 hours motionless when it was supposed to take 15 minutes had my nerves shot. This certainly didn't help our situation for the start of this trip and it was worse because if you miss the ferry you go home. There are no other options because to get on and off the island with a vehicle takes tickets purchased 6 months in advance. Tensions were running elevated I will say at this point but we did make the ferry. Just barely... but we made it. It also turns out Crystal can get sea sick just looking at waves never-mind rolling in them. By the time we hit the island Crystal was a lunch short..
We did manage to get to the campground fairly quickly and as requested, the campground had us very close to the playground which I thought would be a good with Anna. This decision alone may be the worst one I had made the entire weekend. Turns out Anna was an un-caged wild animal that can run as fast as an Olympic sprinter but somehow with the endurance of a long distance runner. I thought being next to the playground would entertain her but as it turns out it gave her an open avenue for escape when it wasn’t a constant draw for her to want to go to. Multiple times she would just run and there was no turning her around. You had to sprint off and run her down. It was hot out.. Very hot! Running wasn't part of the plan originally and since Crystal thought it not a good idea to tie her too a tree, we did a lot of it.
We ended up going to bed around 9:30 that evening. No fire... No relaxation... No drinks! Even though Anna ran a marathon that day she still wasn’t interested in sleeping unless we were both there with her. By the time she fell asleep we were too.
Anna ended up puking at 1 am in the tent. Not a little spit-up but full blown, lactose intolerance (we found out later) type of projectile vomiting that just covers everything in sight. That stunk! And to top it off, there went all the blankets and pillows we were sleeping on so now we are mostly just laying on bare plastic Coleman air mattresses in the hot, smelly, sticky tent. We did manage to get back to sleep about an hour later. I want to mention that Crystals patience and normally sweet demeanor was borderline cereal killer at this moment and if it was possible to abandon everything and go home, we would have. Unfortunately it was not.
At 2:15 God decided to give us a bath. The skies opened up with the worst 2 hours of lightning and pouring rain that you have ever seen. I felt it raining on me in the tent. I was getting soaking wet like I forgot to put the rain-fly on except I didn't. The sticker on the side of the tent greatly exaggerated the resistance to the adverse weather conditions it was supposed to have. It read “ WEATHER TECH”, the next line was my favorite “GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY”. From what? I don’t know, but it turns out it wasn’t from water… Probably wouldn’t leak if it rained cats and dogs. Actual cats and dogs that is.. but I’m not so sure.
I need to admit to the following right now. At this time, I went into full survival mode big time and I'm not proud of this. Why? Because it was MY survival I was concerned about! I heard Crystal trying to calm Anna down from all the rain, lightning and thunder while doing everything she could, being the great mother she is, to keep Anna dry and warm. I knew at that moment if I opened my eyes and she realized I was awake there was a good chance I would of been stabbed! So my eyes stayed shut and I didn't make a peep! I just lay there in the rain getting soaking wet like a big chicken while she comforted Anna! I'm not proud of it... but I am still alive!
Saturday morning we spent till noon washing and drying EVERYTHING we had. We literally could wring out our pajamas we wore to bed. Everything was sopping wet! This while trying to keep our gazelle of a daughter anywhere within eyeshot of us. Not easy! The word I will use to describe it is “Frustrating” because how I really want to describe it shouldn’t be in public forum in case I am ever being investigated for some random crime later in life.
Having sort of made up at this point, or more likely just absorbing the fact that we weren't getting off the island anytime soon and we were stuck together, we decided to relax on the beach after the morning we had. Turns out parking was impossible and when we did find a spot we found out something unexpected about beaches at Martha’s Vineyard. The sand is more like the consistency of small gravel and you sink like quicksand in it. Hardest stuff I have ever tried to walk in. Going downhill was like walking uphill and walking uphill was 2 steps forward 1 step back. Awful stuff! The water was BEAUTIFUL but the beach was kind of odd. Your first 4 steps into the water brought you up to your knees and then all of a sudden the next step you fell off a soft sandy ledge and was up to your nipples. For me, a bit of a pain but for Anna, downright dangerous. We had a swimmy on her and since she has no fear so she liked falling off into the depths and floating away for us to go chase her. The beach sand was also nuclear hot. Hot enough we kept Anna’s water shoes on her and kept her in the wet sand. But it was so hot that Crystal actually ended up with some big bubbling blisters on the top of her feet. This was not good!
The whole weekend humidity was high but luckily it was only like 98 degrees Fahrenheit! So there was sweat! All the time! Humid, sticky SWEAT! Sweat till the parts of your body that rub together, you know those sensitive areas, were very, very angry! We drove a lot in the Jeep with the AC cranked just for relief. We must have gone through a tank of gas just that afternoon alone. It was brutal!
Saturday night we enjoyed a fairly simple but nice dinner at a Gay Head restaurant overlooking the cliffs above the ocean right around sunset. Again, the scenery was beautiful (and this time I actually mean the scenery) but unfortunately the bill was not. We had 2 adult and 1 children lemonade (yes, the non alcohol type) 2 bowls of chowder, 1 fish sandwich and a small dish of pasta for Anna with a little Parmesan cheese on it. $105 dollars!
Finally, we got back to the campground. Lit a fire, poured a drink (the kind of drink that makes up for that kind of day) and proceeded to get Anna down so we could enjoy the night just relaxing and trying to remember at this time why the hell we even like each other. This was about 9:00 – 9:15. I see way off in the distance somebody in the sky, maybe in a helicopter or slow moving silent plane taking pictures. It had to be that because the weather radar said there was ZERO percent chance of rain and no thunderstorms in our area. By 9:30 it was POURING again and the lightning was all around us. This only lasted 1 hour and 45 minutes or so but it put out the fire and also our spirits. Literally and figuratively. We went to bed. The good news.. I put up a tarp because I didn’t want to risk repeating the night before again. We stayed dry that time. Learned that lesson quick!
So Sunday morning with the majority of everything we owned not in the tent soaking wet again we packed it all up and left the campground by 11:00am. Our ferry was at 6:30 so we had some time to burn. After begging them for an earlier sailing they managed to get us scheduled on the 5:00 boat. Not early enough for me and Crystal to not want to kill each other again but probably early enough to save one of our lives.
We decided to take a trip to an area that allows for over sand travel (South Beach) with the correct 4 wheel drive vehicle. Turns out I have one of those and it was even with me. Unfortunately, I was told the beach was full by the ranger as I watched the the Jeep in front of me drive onto the sand. They told me to come back at 5:00 (see above).... so we drove around and found a small out of the way diner that was actually really good, cheap and not mobbed by us main land folk. Then I drove across the street and purchased a tank of gas at $5.35 a gallon! Good thing lunch was reasonable. We then decided to take Anna to The Flying Horses merry go round in Vineyard Haven I believe, then let Crystal do a little shopping in the area. Well not me because at this point I was trying to take out an equity loan on the house to pay for the gas I had just purchased but Crystal did. This is when the bickering started about how I haven’t bought anything for Anna. Except of course, the ferry tickets, campground fees, all the food we have eaten, $30 just to dry our belongings, etc.. you know absolutely every single expense up to this point. I mostly ignored her but ignoring her doesn’t shut her up.
Trying to kill the last 1.5 hours till we needed to head to the ferry we found a children’s playground behind the West Tisbury town hall. I fell asleep on a park bench while Crystal played with Anna for a little bit. I was scolded for that as well..
So this leaves us with the Ferry. I got us to the Steamship Authority port at 4:00. An hour before departure as they suggest. Crystal decided to take a walk with Anna and I stayed with the Jeep. She again was mad because I wasn’t going with them and this obviously was so I didn’t have to spend any of my money on them. At this point my reply was “What money?” and she huffed off. It was about 4:30 and they started loading the ferry. I called her three times and she didn’t answer so I drove on without them. I was in line, what could I do? I told them that my wife and daughter were going the bathroom and they said they would keep a lookout for them. 15 minutes later she called in a panic when she noticed all the cars were loaded. I was enjoying a beer on the top deck with the money I was hiding from her when she finally found me. By the way, 1 domestic bottle of beer $9.75.
We sailed off that evening and made it to Woods Hole in Falmouth, MA. We drove off the ferry and as my Nittos crested back onto mainland all our aggression and bickering ceased. A sigh of relief came over us and I remember at that exact moment I didn't hate Crystal anymore. I think she felt it too because she reached for my hand on the shifter and said as we sped up the street away from the high speed ferry to HELL... Do you want to get some BBQ at the Little Red Smokehouse on our way home.
"Yes... Yes I do!"

So ya, MRI tests came out negative… Camping on Martha’s Vineyard was BAD! VERY, VERY BAD! But BBQ from Little Red Smokehouse...? AWESOME!
tazenman likes this.
__________________
Nemesis is getting an LS this winter with a Motech install kit. Want to see how easy or hard the install is.... Follow here.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/ne...e-2149753.html

What am I up too..? Browse some photos here. (Imgbb link)
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f31/ric...s-2163905.html
RichL35 is online now   Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:35 PM   #188
Jeep Newbie

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Squerly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 599
Oh my!
RichL35 and xkid like this.
__________________
The Grim Reaper
2016 Rubicon*Auto*4:88*MetalCloak 3.5"*Vision Nemesis III*35" Ironman M/T

"That damn Jeep" 1988 YJ, 115,000 Miles
Squerly is offline   Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:44 PM   #189
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Buildit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL35 View Post
This is going to confuse people to why this is here but on @TimsJK build thread https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/s...3-2342433.html I made a comment as to a horrific weekend camping we had 2 summers ago. He is sharing a disaster of his own on his build thread and I didn't think it fair to clog up his thread with my story. By the way, Tim's is worse... Way worse!

So there is a little backstory to this. At the time I was being tested for what the doctors thought was a tumorous growth in my knee. I just had an MRI and some blood work done that ran WAY late and to be honest I wish we just missed the damn ferry! This weekend surrounds Crystal, my soon to be wife, my daughter Anna and myself.. Anna was 2 years old at the time...



Let me run you down our wonderful Martha’s Vineyard weekend.

We almost missed the ferry Friday afternoon to Vineyard Haven because my MRI ran late. I want to say I am a big guy. 6'3" and 265lbs or so. Small MRI tubes are not fun for me.. Laying in one for nearly 2 hours motionless when it was supposed to take 15 minutes had my nerves shot. This certainly didn't help our situation for the start of this trip and it was worse because if you miss the ferry you go home. There are no other options because to get on and off the island with a vehicle takes tickets purchased 6 months in advance. Tensions were running elevated I will say at this point but we did make the ferry. Just barely... but we made it. It also turns out Crystal can get sea sick just looking at waves never-mind rolling in them. By the time we hit the island Crystal was a lunch short..
We did manage to get to the campground fairly quickly and as requested, the campground had us very close to the playground which I thought would be a good with Anna. This decision alone may be the worst one I had made the entire weekend. Turns out Anna was an un-caged wild animal that can run as fast as an Olympic sprinter but somehow with the endurance of a long distance runner. I thought being next to the playground would entertain her but as it turns out it gave her an open avenue for escape when it wasn’t a constant draw for her to want to go to. Multiple times she would just run and there was no turning her around. You had to sprint off and run her down. It was hot out.. Very hot! Running wasn't part of the plan originally and since Crystal thought it not a good idea to tie her too a tree, we did a lot of it.
We ended up going to bed around 9:30 that evening. No fire... No relaxation... No drinks! Even though Anna ran a marathon that day she still wasn’t interested in sleeping unless we were both there with her. By the time she fell asleep we were too.
Anna ended up puking at 1 am in the tent. Not a little spit-up but full blown, lactose intolerance (we found out later) type of projectile vomiting that just covers everything in sight. That stunk! And to top it off, there went all the blankets and pillows we were sleeping on so now we are mostly just laying on bare plastic Coleman air mattresses in the hot, smelly, sticky tent. We did manage to get back to sleep about an hour later. I want to mention that Crystals patience and normally sweet demeanor was borderline cereal killer at this moment and if it was possible to abandon everything and go home, we would have. Unfortunately it was not.
At 2:15 God decided to give us a bath. The skies opened up with the worst 2 hours of lightning and pouring rain that you have ever seen. I felt it raining on me in the tent. I was getting soaking wet like I forgot to put the rain-fly on except I didn't. The sticker on the side of the tent greatly exaggerated the resistance to the adverse weather conditions it was supposed to have. It read “ WEATHER TECH”, the next line was my favorite “GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY”. From what? I don’t know, but it turns out it wasn’t from water… Probably wouldn’t leak if it rained cats and dogs. Actual cats and dogs that is.. but I’m not so sure.
I need to admit to the following right now. At this time, I went into full survival mode big time and I'm not proud of this. Why? Because it was MY survival I was concerned about! I heard Crystal trying to calm Anna down from all the rain, lightning and thunder while doing everything she could, being the great mother she is, to keep Anna dry and warm. I knew at that moment if I opened my eyes and she realized I was awake there was a good chance I would of been stabbed! So my eyes stayed shut and I didn't make a peep! I just lay there in the rain getting soaking wet like a big chicken while she comforted Anna! I'm not proud of it... but I am still alive!
Saturday morning we spent till noon washing and drying EVERYTHING we had. We literally could wring out our pajamas we wore to bed. Everything was sopping wet! This while trying to keep our gazelle of a daughter anywhere within eyeshot of us. Not easy! The word I will use to describe it is “Frustrating” because how I really want to describe it shouldn’t be in public forum in case I am ever being investigated for some random crime later in life.
Having sort of made up at this point, or more likely just absorbing the fact that we weren't getting off the island anytime soon and we were stuck together, we decided to relax on the beach after the morning we had. Turns out parking was impossible and when we did find a spot we found out something unexpected about beaches at Martha’s Vineyard. The sand is more like the consistency of small gravel and you sink like quicksand in it. Hardest stuff I have ever tried to walk in. Going downhill was like walking uphill and walking uphill was 2 steps forward 1 step back. Awful stuff! The water was BEAUTIFUL but the beach was kind of odd. Your first 4 steps into the water brought you up to your knees and then all of a sudden the next step you fell off a soft sandy ledge and was up to your nipples. For me, a bit of a pain but for Anna, downright dangerous. We had a swimmy on her and since she has no fear so she liked falling off into the depths and floating away for us to go chase her. The beach sand was also nuclear hot. Hot enough we kept Anna’s water shoes on her and kept her in the wet sand. But it was so hot that Crystal actually ended up with some big bubbling blisters on the top of her feet. This was not good!
The whole weekend humidity was high but luckily it was only like 98 degrees Fahrenheit! So there was sweat! All the time! Humid, sticky SWEAT! Sweat till the parts of your body that rub together, you know those sensitive areas, were very, very angry! We drove a lot in the Jeep with the AC cranked just for relief. We must have gone through a tank of gas just that afternoon alone. It was brutal!
Saturday night we enjoyed a fairly simple but nice dinner at a Gay Head restaurant overlooking the cliffs above the ocean right around sunset. Again, the scenery was beautiful (and this time I actually mean the scenery) but unfortunately the bill was not. We had 2 adult and 1 children lemonade (yes, the non alcohol type) 2 bowls of chowder, 1 fish sandwich and a small dish of pasta for Anna with a little Parmesan cheese on it. $105 dollars!
Finally, we got back to the campground. Lit a fire, poured a drink (the kind of drink that makes up for that kind of day) and proceeded to get Anna down so we could enjoy the night just relaxing and trying to remember at this time why the hell we even like each other. This was about 9:00 – 9:15. I see way off in the distance somebody in the sky, maybe in a helicopter or slow moving silent plane taking pictures. It had to be that because the weather radar said there was ZERO percent chance of rain and no thunderstorms in our area. By 9:30 it was POURING again and the lightning was all around us. This only lasted 1 hour and 45 minutes or so but it put out the fire and also our spirits. Literally and figuratively. We went to bed. The good news.. I put up a tarp because I didn’t want to risk repeating the night before again. We stayed dry that time. Learned that lesson quick!
So Sunday morning with the majority of everything we owned not in the tent soaking wet again we packed it all up and left the campground by 11:00am. Our ferry was at 6:30 so we had some time to burn. After begging them for an earlier sailing they managed to get us scheduled on the 5:00 boat. Not early enough for me and Crystal to not want to kill each other again but probably early enough to save one of our lives.
We decided to take a trip to an area that allows for over sand travel (South Beach) with the correct 4 wheel drive vehicle. Turns out I have one of those and it was even with me. Unfortunately, I was told the beach was full by the ranger as I watched the the Jeep in front of me drive onto the sand. They told me to come back at 5:00 (see above).... so we drove around and found a small out of the way diner that was actually really good, cheap and not mobbed by us main land folk. Then I drove across the street and purchased a tank of gas at $5.35 a gallon! Good thing lunch was reasonable. We then decided to take Anna to The Flying Horses merry go round in Vineyard Haven I believe, then let Crystal do a little shopping in the area. Well not me because at this point I was trying to take out an equity loan on the house to pay for the gas I had just purchased but Crystal did. This is when the bickering started about how I haven’t bought anything for Anna. Except of course, the ferry tickets, campground fees, all the food we have eaten, $30 just to dry our belongings, etc.. you know absolutely every single expense up to this point. I mostly ignored her but ignoring her doesn’t shut her up.
Trying to kill the last 1.5 hours till we needed to head to the ferry we found a children’s playground behind the West Tisbury town hall. I fell asleep on a park bench while Crystal played with Anna for a little bit. I was scolded for that as well..
So this leaves us with the Ferry. I got us to the Steamship Authority port at 4:00. An hour before departure as they suggest. Crystal decided to take a walk with Anna and I stayed with the Jeep. She again was mad because I wasn’t going with them and this obviously was so I didn’t have to spend any of my money on them. At this point my reply was “What money?” and she huffed off. It was about 4:30 and they started loading the ferry. I called her three times and she didn’t answer so I drove on without them. I was in line, what could I do? I told them that my wife and daughter were going the bathroom and they said they would keep a lookout for them. 15 minutes later she called in a panic when she noticed all the cars were loaded. I was enjoying a beer on the top deck with the money I was hiding from her when she finally found me. By the way, 1 domestic bottle of beer $9.75.
We sailed off that evening and made it to Woods Hole in Falmouth, MA. We drove off the ferry and as my Nittos crested back onto mainland all our aggression and bickering ceased. A sigh of relief came over us and I remember at that exact moment I didn't hate Crystal anymore. I think she felt it too because she reached for my hand on the shifter and said as we sped up the street away from the high speed ferry to HELL... Do you want to get some BBQ at the Little Red Smokehouse on our way home.
"Yes... Yes I do!"

So ya, MRI tests came out negative… Camping on Martha’s Vineyard was BAD! VERY, VERY BAD! But BBQ from Little Red Smokehouse...? AWESOME!
Wow! Glad to hear you survived that...all of you



-Steven
RichL35 likes this.
__________________
~2016 Hard Rock~Auto~4:88~JWSpeaker~Recon~Banks Ram-Air~~Mopar Performance BBK~MetalCloak 3.5" GC/Falcon 3.3~Method Race/OMF~37" MXT~TeraFlex HD Carrier~VPR 126-S-S~Warn M8000-S ~KMS Lo-Pro Mod~

~To See What I'm Up To, Follow Me Here~ https://www.expeditionbuilds.com
Buildit is offline   Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:17 PM
Thread Starter
  #190
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RichL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Shore, Mass
Posts: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildit View Post
Wow! Glad to hear you survived that...all of you



-Steven

Two things I learned that weekend..

1. When things get tough we fall apart miserably!

2. If you're not old enough to realize that you are supposed to get tired when you run... you don't! haha...

I still can't truly laugh at that weekend..
__________________
Nemesis is getting an LS this winter with a Motech install kit. Want to see how easy or hard the install is.... Follow here.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/ne...e-2149753.html

What am I up too..? Browse some photos here. (Imgbb link)
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f31/ric...s-2163905.html
RichL35 is online now   Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:50 PM   #191
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Buildit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL35 View Post
Two things I learned that weekend..

1. When things get tough we fall apart miserably!

2. If you're not old enough to realize that you are supposed to get tired when you run... you don't! haha...

I still can't truly laugh at that weekend..
...and if you two(couple) survived that...you're good right?


-Steven
RichL35 likes this.
__________________
~2016 Hard Rock~Auto~4:88~JWSpeaker~Recon~Banks Ram-Air~~Mopar Performance BBK~MetalCloak 3.5" GC/Falcon 3.3~Method Race/OMF~37" MXT~TeraFlex HD Carrier~VPR 126-S-S~Warn M8000-S ~KMS Lo-Pro Mod~

~To See What I'm Up To, Follow Me Here~ https://www.expeditionbuilds.com
Buildit is offline   Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:28 PM   #192
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL35 View Post
Two things I learned that weekend..

1. When things get tough we fall apart miserably!

2. If you're not old enough to realize that you are supposed to get tired when you run... you don't! haha...

I still can't truly laugh at that weekend..
Haha. This awesome. We need to start a disaster trip thread. You and I can be the starters......

I'll get to finishing my story soon, I promise its worth the read.
RichL35 likes this.
__________________
2008 JKUR LS
TimsJK is offline   Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:58 PM
Thread Starter
  #193
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RichL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Shore, Mass
Posts: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildit View Post
...and if you two(couple) survived that...you're good right?


-Steven
Oh ya. We are great actually. That weekend was just something special! We actually went back out to the Vineyard this year. Just left the tent at home. LOL...
Buildit likes this.
__________________
Nemesis is getting an LS this winter with a Motech install kit. Want to see how easy or hard the install is.... Follow here.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/ne...e-2149753.html

What am I up too..? Browse some photos here. (Imgbb link)
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f31/ric...s-2163905.html
RichL35 is online now   Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:08 AM
Thread Starter
  #194
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RichL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Shore, Mass
Posts: 2,638
Quick one here.

So I have a Genesis Dual battery set-up in my Jeep. I had a solenoid crap the bed on me last winter and run down a battery on me. I replaced the part and it has been fine since. I trust the Genesis product and believe that this was nothing but a fluke but it happened non the less. This has always bothered me a little for a couple reasons.
1. The isolation solenoid and associated wiring and components are just another bunch of failure points in the system.
2. I have never run down 1 battery never mind 2 so I think my risk of this happening in the future is pretty low.
3. Yes, I know I said a couple but I'm adding one.. I keep a NOKO GB-70 jump start pack charging in the back at all times so I already have redundancy.

So while I have everything coming apart for the motor swap I decided to rewire the batteries real quick. I kept the accessory power connections but removed everything else. Then I just rewired the batteries in parallel with some military grade battery posts and 2ga AWG cable and tinned lugs. I crimped, soldered and shrunk wrapped everything so I should have no future problems. Last but not least I prepped one more 2ga cable to replace the wimpy little chassis ground in the factory harness. With the additional accessories we run it was worthwhile to improve the ground circuit. The whole setup is clearly still 12V but twice the capacity... Should work fine and no more failure point.

Of course if I I kill my battery now it is completely MY fault..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	4116805  
__________________
Nemesis is getting an LS this winter with a Motech install kit. Want to see how easy or hard the install is.... Follow here.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/ne...e-2149753.html

What am I up too..? Browse some photos here. (Imgbb link)
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f31/ric...s-2163905.html
RichL35 is online now   Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:31 AM
Thread Starter
  #195
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RichL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Shore, Mass
Posts: 2,638
One more thing to the LS swap crowd.

My engine/transmission was donated by a Chevy Silverado. The exhaust manifolds you preferably want to use for the swap are the 6.2 Camaro manifolds as they dump straight down instead of back at an angle. This makes running exhaust much easier as the truck manifolds push the exhaust very close to the firewall. So I had been watching eBay and a few other places for a set of used manifolds to come up and everyone selling them was clearly smoking crack. $300 - $400 bucks at times for used manifolds! Holy Crap! So I broke down and just called the dealer.. $145 new (including heat shields) shipped to me with gaskets! So yeah... That was a no brainer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	exhaust manifold.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	4116877  
R6chris and Buildit like this.
__________________
Nemesis is getting an LS this winter with a Motech install kit. Want to see how easy or hard the install is.... Follow here.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/ne...e-2149753.html

What am I up too..? Browse some photos here. (Imgbb link)
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f31/ric...s-2163905.html
RichL35 is online now   Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:48 AM   #196
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Buildit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL35 View Post
Quick one here.

So I have a Genesis Dual battery set-up in my Jeep. I had a solenoid crap the bed on me last winter and run down a battery on me. I replaced the part and it has been fine since. I trust the Genesis product and believe that this was nothing but a fluke but it happened non the less. This has always bothered me a little for a couple reasons.
1. The isolation solenoid and associated wiring and components are just another bunch of failure points in the system.
2. I have never run down 1 battery never mind 2 so I think my risk of this happening in the future is pretty low.
3. Yes, I know I said a couple but I'm adding one.. I keep a NOKO GB-70 jump start pack charging in the back at all times so I already have redundancy.

So while I have everything coming apart for the motor swap I decided to rewire the batteries real quick. I kept the accessory power connections but removed everything else. Then I just rewired the batteries in parallel with some military grade battery posts and 2ga AWG cable and tinned lugs. I crimped, soldered and shrunk wrapped everything so I should have no future problems. Last but not least I prepped one more 2ga cable to replace the wimpy little chassis ground in the factory harness. With the additional accessories we run it was worthwhile to improve the ground circuit. The whole setup is clearly still 12V but twice the capacity... Should work fine and no more failure point.

Of course if I I kill my battery now it is completely MY fault..
Again, really nice work Rich Great idea upping the size of the chassis ground as well.


-Steven
RichL35 likes this.
__________________
~2016 Hard Rock~Auto~4:88~JWSpeaker~Recon~Banks Ram-Air~~Mopar Performance BBK~MetalCloak 3.5" GC/Falcon 3.3~Method Race/OMF~37" MXT~TeraFlex HD Carrier~VPR 126-S-S~Warn M8000-S ~KMS Lo-Pro Mod~

~To See What I'm Up To, Follow Me Here~ https://www.expeditionbuilds.com
Buildit is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:37 AM
Thread Starter
  #197
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RichL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Shore, Mass
Posts: 2,638
So I sold off my old Level 8 wheels and Nitto Mud Grapplers. They were a great tire off road but on road they ended up being a little more of a compromise than I intended. Really, I did understand what I was getting myself into but my build goal changed slightly. The noise alone wasn't an issue. I didn't mind some tire noise but what was an issue is the E rating of the tire. I would have to run the tire around 20 - 22 psi so that they didn't turn every little bump into a tooth jarring hit. Running at 22 psi wouldn't have been that bad but the hit on my mileage was to the tune of about 4 mpg! When at best you get 15 mpg then that's a big hit!

So yesterday the replacements came in. What are they you ask...? Milestar Patagonia MT. 38x13.5 R17S to mount on the Beadlocks from a few posts ago. I have heard a lot of hype about these tires. They are quiet, grip rocks like superglue, balance easy, etc, etc, etc.. But most of all, as a C rated tire they should offer a much more comfortable ride. If it is also all those other things then AWESOME!

My original thoughts on the tires just receiving them yesterday are as follows.

1. For a 13.5" wide tire the tread seems a little narrow. It's not terrible but the treadwidth of the 13.5" Nittos was definitely wider.
2. The tread and side biters are sufficient but not super aggressive. I have seen deeper tread depth and much more aggressive side biters on many other mud terrain tires. Maybe this has a lot to do with why they are so quiet? I want to note this is just a visual observation and not a claim on the tires abilities.
3. For their size they are fairly light. C rating I am sure has a lot to do with this but for what these tires give up in weight my beadlocks will certainly add right back.
4. Cheap, Cheap, Cheap!! Under $1500 for 5 tires delivered.

So it looks like I know what I am doing in the garage this weekend!

Here is some pics... You know, because everyone loves pictures! When I can put some mileage on them (it will be awhile) I will update my opinions on them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2906.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	4123683   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2907.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	4123685  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2908.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	4123687  
__________________
Nemesis is getting an LS this winter with a Motech install kit. Want to see how easy or hard the install is.... Follow here.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/ne...e-2149753.html

What am I up too..? Browse some photos here. (Imgbb link)
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f31/ric...s-2163905.html
RichL35 is online now   Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:03 PM   #198
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Buildit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL35 View Post
So I sold off my old Level 8 wheels and Nitto Mud Grapplers. They were a great tire off road but on road they ended up being a little more of a compromise than I intended. Really, I did understand what I was getting myself into but my build goal changed slightly. The noise alone wasn't an issue. I didn't mind some tire noise but what was an issue is the E rating of the tire. I would have to run the tire around 20 - 22 psi so that they didn't turn every little bump into a tooth jarring hit. Running at 22 psi wouldn't have been that bad but the hit on my mileage was to the tune of about 4 mpg! When at best you get 15 mpg then that's a big hit!

So yesterday the replacements came in. What are they you ask...? Milestar Patagonia MT. 38x13.5 R17S to mount on the Beadlocks from a few posts ago. I have heard a lot of hype about these tires. They are quiet, grip rocks like superglue, balance easy, etc, etc, etc.. But most of all, as a C rated tire they should offer a much more comfortable ride. If it is also all those other things then AWESOME!

My original thoughts on the tires just receiving them yesterday are as follows.

1. For a 13.5" wide tire the tread seems a little narrow. It's not terrible but the treadwidth of the 13.5" Nittos was definitely wider.
2. The tread and side biters are sufficient but not super aggressive. I have seen deeper tread depth and much more aggressive side biters on many other mud terrain tires. Maybe this has a lot to do with why they are so quiet? I want to note this is just a visual observation and not a claim on the tires abilities.
3. For their size they are fairly light. C rating I am sure has a lot to do with this but for what these tires give up in weight my beadlocks will certainly add right back.
4. Cheap, Cheap, Cheap!! Under $1500 for 5 tires delivered.

So it looks like I know what I am doing in the garage this weekend!

Here is some pics... You know, because everyone loves pictures! When I can put some mileage on them (it will be awhile) I will update my opinions on them.
Nice Rich! Very much looking forward to hearing your thoughts as you get some miles on them. I'm already on the hunt for my next set of tires.

I'm also interested in the 38" size. After you get them mounted and on your Jeep, can you measure them for us? On that note, do you have specs on the Nitto's?



-Steven
__________________
~2016 Hard Rock~Auto~4:88~JWSpeaker~Recon~Banks Ram-Air~~Mopar Performance BBK~MetalCloak 3.5" GC/Falcon 3.3~Method Race/OMF~37" MXT~TeraFlex HD Carrier~VPR 126-S-S~Warn M8000-S ~KMS Lo-Pro Mod~

~To See What I'm Up To, Follow Me Here~ https://www.expeditionbuilds.com
Buildit is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:16 PM
Thread Starter
  #199
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RichL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Shore, Mass
Posts: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildit View Post
Nice Rich! Very much looking forward to hearing your thoughts as you get some miles on them. I'm already on the hunt for my next set of tires.

I'm also interested in the 38" size. After you get them mounted and on your Jeep, can you measure them for us? On that note, do you have specs on the Nitto's?



-Steven

More than happy too.

The 37" Nittos were pretty true to size. I never measured the width of the tread but they looked noticeably wider than a 12.5" wide tire. Everything about that tire was massive for it's size. The diameter I did measure and at 28 PSI when new, with a level off the top of the tread and the weight of the jeep on them was a strong 36-3/8".

I post up some numbers of the Milestars when I get them mounted. Fortunately I can't put my Jeeps true weight on them because it doesn't have an engine or interior in it right now.
__________________
Nemesis is getting an LS this winter with a Motech install kit. Want to see how easy or hard the install is.... Follow here.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/ne...e-2149753.html

What am I up too..? Browse some photos here. (Imgbb link)
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f31/ric...s-2163905.html
RichL35 is online now   Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:22 PM   #200
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Buildit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL35 View Post
More than happy too.

The 37" Nittos were pretty true to size. I never measured the width of the tread but they looked noticeably wider than a 12.5" wide tire. Everything about that tire was massive for it's size. The diameter I did measure and at 28 PSI when new, with a level off the top of the tread and the weight of the jeep on them was a strong 36-3/8".

I post up some numbers of the Milestars when I get them mounted. Fortunately I can't put my Jeeps true weight on them because it doesn't have an engine or interior in it right now.
Well...hurry up adding some weight to your Jeep


I know the Nitto's run truer to size. When I was on the trail with AzScooter, I noticed his 12.50" Nitto's were in fact wider than my 12.50" Mastercrafts. That gave me a little tire envy


-Steven
tazenman likes this.
__________________
~2016 Hard Rock~Auto~4:88~JWSpeaker~Recon~Banks Ram-Air~~Mopar Performance BBK~MetalCloak 3.5" GC/Falcon 3.3~Method Race/OMF~37" MXT~TeraFlex HD Carrier~VPR 126-S-S~Warn M8000-S ~KMS Lo-Pro Mod~

~To See What I'm Up To, Follow Me Here~ https://www.expeditionbuilds.com
Buildit is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:56 PM
Thread Starter
  #201
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RichL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Shore, Mass
Posts: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildit View Post
Well...hurry up adding some weight to your Jeep


I know the Nitto's run truer to size. When I was on the trail with AzScooter, I noticed his 12.50" Nitto's were in fact wider than my 12.50" Mastercrafts. That gave me a little tire envy


-Steven
Well I’ve seen the videos you’ve been posting recently and I’m pretty certain that tire envy that you had is been returned tenfold!

Milestar also makes a 40 inch sticky version of this tire. Couple local guys are running them next summer. Interested to see how they do. I don’t see me going any bigger than this though. I’d have to make more changes to my suspension and I just don’t feel like it. It works too good just the way it is.
Buildit likes this.
__________________
Nemesis is getting an LS this winter with a Motech install kit. Want to see how easy or hard the install is.... Follow here.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/ne...e-2149753.html

What am I up too..? Browse some photos here. (Imgbb link)
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f31/ric...s-2163905.html
RichL35 is online now   Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:08 PM   #202
Jeep Newbie

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Squerly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL35 View Post
The noise alone wasn't an issue. I didn't mind some tire noise but what was an issue is the E rating of the tire. I would have to run the tire around 20 - 22 psi so that they didn't turn every little bump into a tooth jarring hit. Running at 22 psi wouldn't have been that bad but the hit on my mileage was to the tune of about 4 mpg! When at best you get 15 mpg then that's a big hit!
This I understand and relate to completely. I'm running at 25 right now but probably should drop it more.

As I find myself driving more on-road than off-road, I'm considering buying a set of on-road wheels/tires to use while tooling around town. Then on trail days, I'll change back to my M/T's.

Not that big of a deal to change wheels once or twice a month.
__________________
The Grim Reaper
2016 Rubicon*Auto*4:88*MetalCloak 3.5"*Vision Nemesis III*35" Ironman M/T

"That damn Jeep" 1988 YJ, 115,000 Miles
Squerly is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:57 PM
Thread Starter
  #203
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RichL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Shore, Mass
Posts: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
This I understand and relate to completely. I'm running at 25 right now but probably should drop it more.

As I find myself driving more on-road than off-road, I'm considering buying a set of on-road wheels/tires to use while tooling around town. Then on trail days, I'll change back to my M/T's.

Not that big of a deal to change wheels once or twice a month.
So I’m not alone.. haha

I want the Jeep to be really effective off-road but I don’t want to feel like I’m suffering if I have to drive down the highway for 3 hours. It isn’t my DD but I don’t want it to make me miss my DD either. I love the Jeep! But I can improve on it and that’s what I’m trying to do.
Buildit likes this.
__________________
Nemesis is getting an LS this winter with a Motech install kit. Want to see how easy or hard the install is.... Follow here.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/ne...e-2149753.html

What am I up too..? Browse some photos here. (Imgbb link)
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f31/ric...s-2163905.html
RichL35 is online now   Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:13 PM   #204
Jeep Newbie

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Squerly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL35 View Post
So I’m not alone.. haha
No, you are not alone. I'm getting a mind numbing 13 MPG with my setup.

Downside: That'll trash your Exon card in a hurry.
Upside: I know every Quick Stop employee by name.

Agreed, I didn't buy this thing for the fuel efficiency but still, I'd like to enjoy it both on-road as well as off.

Sigh, life is so unfair...
RichL35 and Buildit like this.
__________________
The Grim Reaper
2016 Rubicon*Auto*4:88*MetalCloak 3.5"*Vision Nemesis III*35" Ironman M/T

"That damn Jeep" 1988 YJ, 115,000 Miles
Squerly is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:17 PM
Thread Starter
  #205
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RichL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Shore, Mass
Posts: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildit View Post
Nice Rich! Very much looking forward to hearing your thoughts as you get some miles on them. I'm already on the hunt for my next set of tires.

I'm also interested in the 38" size. After you get them mounted and on your Jeep, can you measure them for us? On that note, do you have specs on the Nitto's?



-Steven
So I couldn’t wait. Got one assembled and here’s what I got.

These measurements were taken with the tire mounted on a 17 X 9 ATX Chamber II pro at 30 PSI. The tread cross-section is roughly 12-1/8” wide. The overall tire height is 37-1/2. The widest point of the tire is a little over 13 inches. It looks like I got pretty much what I could expect out of it.

Now I just need an engine so I can drive it!

And again, pictures because everyone loves pictures!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B67AF233-3F74-4585-8CF2-D7B9D87D0112.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	4123853   Click image for larger version

Name:	E632241D-9E3E-4F5F-92A2-F0716318E57E.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	4123855  

R6chris, harpersJK and Squerly like this.
__________________
Nemesis is getting an LS this winter with a Motech install kit. Want to see how easy or hard the install is.... Follow here.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/ne...e-2149753.html

What am I up too..? Browse some photos here. (Imgbb link)
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f31/ric...s-2163905.html
RichL35 is online now   Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:59 PM   #206
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Buildit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL35 View Post
So I couldn’t wait. Got one assembled and here’s what I got.

These measurements were taken with the tire mounted on a 17 X 9 ATX Chamber II pro at 30 PSI. The tread cross-section is roughly 12-1/8” wide. The overall tire height is 37-1/2. The widest point of the tire is a little over 13 inches. It looks like I got pretty much what I could expect out of it.

Now I just need an engine so I can drive it!

And again, pictures because everyone loves pictures!
Thanks Buddy!



-Steven
__________________
~2016 Hard Rock~Auto~4:88~JWSpeaker~Recon~Banks Ram-Air~~Mopar Performance BBK~MetalCloak 3.5" GC/Falcon 3.3~Method Race/OMF~37" MXT~TeraFlex HD Carrier~VPR 126-S-S~Warn M8000-S ~KMS Lo-Pro Mod~

~To See What I'm Up To, Follow Me Here~ https://www.expeditionbuilds.com
Buildit is offline   Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:23 AM
Thread Starter
  #207
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RichL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Shore, Mass
Posts: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildit View Post
Thanks Buddy!



-Steven
OK Steven I have a tire width comparison for you here between the 38X13.5 R17 Milestar Patagonia MT and the 37X13.5 R17 Nitto Mud Grappler.

I loaded up my Poison Spyder tie carrier with the spare and closed it. My CB antenna is mounted to the tailgate on a bracket that bolts where the stock tire carrier would have bolted too. With the Nitto the antenna just barely rubbed on the antenna. Not the rim of course but the sidewall of the tire. With the Milestar I have roughly 5/8 in clearance between the antenna and tire. So yes, for sure the Milestars are a little narrower. But I also want to point out that where the Milestar is the widest is center of the sidewall where you would expect it to be but where the Nitto was wider is much closer to the tread giving the Nitto visually a much wider look to the tire overall. One last thing to note.. The Nitto was mounted on a 9" wide rim. If you break out the tape measure and measure the ATX beadlock, the width is roughly 9.5 inches. Not a huge difference but wanted to mention it.
__________________
Nemesis is getting an LS this winter with a Motech install kit. Want to see how easy or hard the install is.... Follow here.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/ne...e-2149753.html

What am I up too..? Browse some photos here. (Imgbb link)
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f31/ric...s-2163905.html
RichL35 is online now   Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:18 PM   #208
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Buildit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL35 View Post
OK Steven I have a tire width comparison for you here between the 38X13.5 R17 Milestar Patagonia MT and the 37X13.5 R17 Nitto Mud Grappler.

I loaded up my Poison Spyder tie carrier with the spare and closed it. My CB antenna is mounted to the tailgate on a bracket that bolts where the stock tire carrier would have bolted too. With the Nitto the antenna just barely rubbed on the antenna. Not the rim of course but the sidewall of the tire. With the Milestar I have roughly 5/8 in clearance between the antenna and tire. So yes, for sure the Milestars are a little narrower. But I also want to point out that where the Milestar is the widest is center of the sidewall where you would expect it to be but where the Nitto was wider is much closer to the tread giving the Nitto visually a much wider look to the tire overall. One last thing to note.. The Nitto was mounted on a 9" wide rim. If you break out the tape measure and measure the ATX beadlock, the width is roughly 9.5 inches. Not a huge difference but wanted to mention it.
Thanks Rich It seems the Nitto's run the closest to true size. Appreciate the great info! I may have missed it, do you have a measurement fo height for the Nitto 37x13.50?


-Steven
__________________
~2016 Hard Rock~Auto~4:88~JWSpeaker~Recon~Banks Ram-Air~~Mopar Performance BBK~MetalCloak 3.5" GC/Falcon 3.3~Method Race/OMF~37" MXT~TeraFlex HD Carrier~VPR 126-S-S~Warn M8000-S ~KMS Lo-Pro Mod~

~To See What I'm Up To, Follow Me Here~ https://www.expeditionbuilds.com
Buildit is offline   Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:21 PM
Thread Starter
  #209
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RichL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Shore, Mass
Posts: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildit View Post
Thanks Rich It seems the Nitto's run the closest to true size. Appreciate the great info! I may have missed it, do you have a measurement fo height for the Nitto 37x13.50?


-Steven


The Nitto measured with the weight of the vehicle on it 36-3/8 when new. I find the Nitto's and Yokohama's mud tires are fairly true to size.
Buildit likes this.
__________________
Nemesis is getting an LS this winter with a Motech install kit. Want to see how easy or hard the install is.... Follow here.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/ne...e-2149753.html

What am I up too..? Browse some photos here. (Imgbb link)
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f31/ric...s-2163905.html
RichL35 is online now   Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:20 AM
Thread Starter
  #210
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RichL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Shore, Mass
Posts: 2,638
I was looking for a photo and ran into these from a couple weeks ago. Building the rear axle I needed to convert my 30 spline ARB to 35 spline. Nothing to it! ARB makes a kit which included the spiders and side gears to swap it over. It is pretty easy to see why the 35 spline axles are so much stronger!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARB1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	4126203   Click image for larger version

Name:	ARB2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	4126205  

Buildit likes this.

__________________
Nemesis is getting an LS this winter with a Motech install kit. Want to see how easy or hard the install is.... Follow here.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/ne...e-2149753.html

What am I up too..? Browse some photos here. (Imgbb link)
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f31/ric...s-2163905.html
RichL35 is online now   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC