Second Chance - 08 JKUR LS3 - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Build Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree144Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-16-2018, 09:26 AM
Thread Starter
  #31
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL35 View Post
Very Nice! For sure that motor looks like it belongs! Can you elaborate on the bolt in mounts a little?
Well, they are a completely bolt in mount. They use a GM Hydro iso mounting puck. The plate that goes on the motor side is bolted to the GM part, the other side bolts into the stock frame side. So its really like an adaptor that allows you to use the stock frame mounts but still have the vibration isolation of the GM hydro mount. Thats the cool part. The hokey part of this is the way they look. I have said from day one that these look like something that was just whipped up super fast and my 3 year old drew the templates for them. They are really ugly and look cheap. That said, they work pretty good. Ill add a picture if I can find one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL35 View Post
you just get it running... you haven't even finished everything up yet.... no test drive... and let's load it up for KOH! Haha... That is some trust in the Motech kit right there!
Haha. Thats pretty close! I think I had a week of driving the jeep around before we loaded up to head out. I was going to tow it so its not too incredible but still I was really worried about not having enough time to work out the bugs. However, there really went very many bugs to work out. As I said above, this is the start of a very long trip that I will elaborate on soon. Its a crazy 72 hours of this story of the Jeeps history. Stay tuned.........
Last picture is a teaser...Haha

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6056.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	4114103   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6079.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	4114105  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6057.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	4114107   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6055.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	4114109  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7045.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	4114111  
RichL35 and 2qik2see like this.
__________________
2008 JKUR LS
TimsJK is offline   Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:14 PM   #32
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 38
Sounds kinda like you're not that impressed with Motech?? Would you recommend their kit?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mstrofpuppets is offline   Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 02:54 PM
Thread Starter
  #33
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrofpuppets View Post
Sounds kinda like you're not that impressed with Motech?? Would you recommend their kit?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Overall I think Motech is great. There is not a person in this industry I feel knows more about LS JK swaps then Robbie. He is a walking encyclopedia of knowledge and he is very competent. I love the fact that he approaches these swaps from the point of keeping these as stock as possible and behaving like the original GM vehicle the systems came from. Its the business side of Motech that really struggles. They desperately need a business manager and someone to oversee the shipping and collection of parts for customers. I would routinely be shipped a box of parts that was missing one piece that inevitably was the one part that I really needed. They would say "oh, so sorry, we will ship one out right now". Well that would then set you back a few more days. Its that kind of thing that was difficult to deal with. I will say that most of that was on the "beta" kit for the Gen V. My Gen IV stuff was complete for the most part. Makes sense because they have been shipping them for years vs. the new kits are just that, new.

I am very happy with my LS swap. The LT swap is not so great. Its a work in progress and still has some hiccups.

I would recommend Motech and feel good about anyone using them as long as they are patient and understand that process from the beginning. I don't want anyone to think that Motech is not a good route to take, but I do want to be honest about things too.

Hope that helps.
mstrofpuppets likes this.
__________________
2008 JKUR LS
TimsJK is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-16-2018, 09:57 PM   #34
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimsJK View Post
Overall I think Motech is great. There is not a person in this industry I feel knows more about LS JK swaps then Robbie. He is a walking encyclopedia of knowledge and he is very competent. I love the fact that he approaches these swaps from the point of keeping these as stock as possible and behaving like the original GM vehicle the systems came from. Its the business side of Motech that really struggles. They desperately need a business manager and someone to oversee the shipping and collection of parts for customers. I would routinely be shipped a box of parts that was missing one piece that inevitably was the one part that I really needed. They would say "oh, so sorry, we will ship one out right now". Well that would then set you back a few more days. Its that kind of thing that was difficult to deal with. I will say that most of that was on the "beta" kit for the Gen V. My Gen IV stuff was complete for the most part. Makes sense because they have been shipping them for years vs. the new kits are just that, new.

I am very happy with my LS swap. The LT swap is not so great. Its a work in progress and still has some hiccups.

I would recommend Motech and feel good about anyone using them as long as they are patient and understand that process from the beginning. I don't want anyone to think that Motech is not a good route to take, but I do want to be honest about things too.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for explaining that. Makes sense about their beta kit being...well a beta kit. So you can expect some of that. It's the kit I plan on using when I do a Gen V swap in my JK. You nailed it on the head about Robbie, he is very knowledgeable about the LS/LT swaps.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
mstrofpuppets is offline   Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:20 PM
Thread Starter
  #35
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 64
So my neighbor down the street has these two sitting out in front of his house. I stopped by and told him that I took the motor and transmission from his Camaro and put it in my jeep that is just like his. He thought that was hilarious!! What are the chances?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5760.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	4114867  
__________________
2008 JKUR LS
TimsJK is offline   Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:46 AM
Thread Starter
  #36
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 64
Added some tributes to the fallen. Wanted to do something that gave the jeep a connection to the Camaro that the heart transplant came from but wanted it to be subtle and classy. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7055.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	4115391   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7036.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	4115393  

__________________
2008 JKUR LS
TimsJK is offline   Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:49 AM   #37
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Buildit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimsJK View Post
Added some tributes to the fallen. Wanted to do something that gave the jeep a connection to the Camaro that the heart transplant came from but wanted it to be subtle and classy. What do you think?
You nailed it!


-Steven
RichL35 likes this.
__________________
~2016 Hard Rock~Auto~4:88~JWSpeaker~Recon~Banks Ram-Air~~Mopar Performance BBK~MetalCloak 3.5" GC/Falcon 3.3~Method Race/OMF~37" MXT~TeraFlex HD Carrier~VPR 126-S-S~Warn M8000-S ~KMS Lo-Pro Mod~

~To See What I'm Up To, Follow Me Here~ https://www.expeditionbuilds.com
Buildit is offline   Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:33 AM
Thread Starter
  #38
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 64
One more from a distance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7056.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	4115399  
Buildit and 2qik2see like this.
__________________
2008 JKUR LS
TimsJK is offline   Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:45 AM   #39
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Buildit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimsJK View Post
One more from a distance.
Wait what??? They sure are great conversation starters!


-Steven
__________________
~2016 Hard Rock~Auto~4:88~JWSpeaker~Recon~Banks Ram-Air~~Mopar Performance BBK~MetalCloak 3.5" GC/Falcon 3.3~Method Race/OMF~37" MXT~TeraFlex HD Carrier~VPR 126-S-S~Warn M8000-S ~KMS Lo-Pro Mod~

~To See What I'm Up To, Follow Me Here~ https://www.expeditionbuilds.com
Buildit is offline   Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:48 AM
Thread Starter
  #40
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildit View Post
Wait what??? They sure are great conversation starters!
-Steven
Haha. Thats very true. I love when I get out of the store and I am walking back to the parking lot and there is a group of guys standing around the jeep looking down at the emblem trying to figure out what that means. Classic.

Plus most people don't know what the L99 is so its very confusing to most. Everyone has heard of an LS3 but very few know what the L99 is and where it came from.

Love the sleeper life!
__________________
2008 JKUR LS
TimsJK is offline   Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:11 PM
Thread Starter
  #41
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 64
As I mentioned above, we loaded up the jeep and camper on my trailer and my buddy (LT 5.3 swap guy) and I headed out to California for the King of The Hammers 2018.

There was so much excitement and we both worked really hard to be able to go on this trip. Having done both LS swaps in the previous 5 months and not having any confidence in the swaps yet, we decided it was best to trailer one jeep out to have for a run around at the Hammers but not have to worry about any issues while driving 20+ hours. I don't think I had put even a 100 miles on the jeep before we loaded it up. I know for fact that I had not driven it up a mountain pass or steep grade to figure out if the temps would be ok. I was feeling pretty good about the decision to trailer out to California.

Then this happens.......

2012 F350 6.7 powerstroke motor seized up just outside Denver on Floyd Hill. This section of I70 is famous for truckers having problems due to the 7 percent grade and high altitude. The truck was pulling like a freight train and all of a sudden the lights on the dash go out and the truck stops running. It felt as if the transmission was needing to down shift but couldn't. It all happened so fast I couldn't even coast off to the side of the road.

There we were stuck in the right lane of I70 at 4am on a cold and windy morning with no way to get the truck started and no lights to let on coming cars and trucks know we were there. Its pitch dark and we are stuck.

At this time we didn't understand why we couldn't even turn on the hazards to alert cars of our position. So to keep from being run into we decided to turn on the jeep and use its lights to keep us safe while we figured out what to do.

Jeep was dead and unable to start. More on that later. So frustrated!!

We were screwed. It was probably 20 degrees out and with the crazy wind I would bet the wind chill was below zero. We were starting to get cold and grumpy. Every thing we tried wasn't working.

I remembered we had two brand new batteries on the camper that we could use to jump the jeep. So I unhooked the camper battery and took it back to the jeep and got the jeep started. So we were at least able to us the tail lights from the jeep to alert traffic. Of coarse by now the sun was starting to rise and it was not as dangerous as it was few hours earlier.

We still had a major problem, the F350 was dead as a door nail and stuck out in the lane of traffic with no shoulder to get over too and pointed up a crazy steep pass.

We had to do something aggressive and do it fast! We had numerous close calls with trucks just missing our trailer. One came so close to hitting us that I still don't know how he missed us. The scary part is that I was between the truck and trailer when he missed us. Had he hit the trailer I could have very easily been killed.

New plan.... take the jeep off the trailer and use the jeep to pull the truck and trailer up the hill 800-1000 feet to a pull over where were could get off the road and in a safe position. This was definitely going to be a challenge for the jeep to pull that heavy load up that grade.

I put the jeep in 4Low and it pulled us up and out of trouble like a champ! No problem.

More to come.........
Shadowmaker, tkk2500 and Jab1719 like this.
__________________
2008 JKUR LS
TimsJK is offline   Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:48 PM   #42
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Buildit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimsJK View Post
As I mentioned above, we loaded up the jeep and camper on my trailer and my buddy (LT 5.3 swap guy) and I headed out to California for the King of The Hammers 2018.

There was so much excitement and we both worked really hard to be able to go on this trip. Having done both LS swaps in the previous 5 months and not having any confidence in the swaps yet, we decided it was best to trailer one jeep out to have for a run around at the Hammers but not have to worry about any issues while driving 20+ hours. I don't think I had put even a 100 miles on the jeep before we loaded it up. I know for fact that I had not driven it up a mountain pass or steep grade to figure out if the temps would be ok. I was feeling pretty good about the decision to trailer out to California.

Then this happens.......

2012 F350 6.7 powerstroke motor seized up just outside Denver on Floyd Hill. This section of I70 is famous for truckers having problems due to the 7 percent grade and high altitude. The truck was pulling like a freight train and all of a sudden the lights on the dash go out and the truck stops running. It felt as if the transmission was needing to down shift but couldn't. It all happened so fast I couldn't even coast off to the side of the road.

There we were stuck in the right lane of I70 at 4am on a cold and windy morning with no way to get the truck started and no lights to let on coming cars and trucks know we were there. Its pitch dark and we are stuck.

At this time we didn't understand why we couldn't even turn on the hazards to alert cars of our position. So to keep from being run into we decided to turn on the jeep and use its lights to keep us safe while we figured out what to do.

Jeep was dead and unable to start. More on that later. So frustrated!!

We were screwed. It was probably 20 degrees out and with the crazy wind I would bet the wind chill was below zero. We were starting to get cold and grumpy. Every thing we tried wasn't working.

I remembered we had two brand new batteries on the camper that we could use to jump the jeep. So I unhooked the camper battery and took it back to the jeep and got the jeep started. So we were at least able to us the tail lights from the jeep to alert traffic. Of coarse by now the sun was starting to rise and it was not as dangerous as it was few hours earlier.

We still had a major problem, the F350 was dead as a door nail and stuck out in the lane of traffic with no shoulder to get over too and pointed up a crazy steep pass.

We had to do something aggressive and do it fast! We had numerous close calls with trucks just missing our trailer. One came so close to hitting us that I still don't know how he missed us. The scary part is that I was between the truck and trailer when he missed us. Had he hit the trailer I could have very easily been killed.

New plan.... take the jeep off the trailer and use the jeep to pull the truck and trailer up the hill 800-1000 feet to a pull over where were could get off the road and in a safe position. This was definitely going to be a challenge for the jeep to pull that heavy load up that grade.

I put the jeep in 4Low and it pulled us up and out of trouble like a champ! No problem.

More to come.........
I've been in some close calls before, but yours....ok...WOW!!!! I've driven that road many times, and just reading this got my anxiety level going

4Lo could pull a freight train, with the V8, you walked it up. Having said that, you have the 4:1 T-case?







-Steven
__________________
~2016 Hard Rock~Auto~4:88~JWSpeaker~Recon~Banks Ram-Air~~Mopar Performance BBK~MetalCloak 3.5" GC/Falcon 3.3~Method Race/OMF~37" MXT~TeraFlex HD Carrier~VPR 126-S-S~Warn M8000-S ~KMS Lo-Pro Mod~

~To See What I'm Up To, Follow Me Here~ https://www.expeditionbuilds.com
Buildit is offline   Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:49 PM
Thread Starter
  #43
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildit View Post
4Lo could pull a freight train, with the V8, you walked it up. Having said that, you have the 4:1 T-case?
-Steven
No, when you do an LS swap you remove the 4:1 tcase and go with a stock 241J from a non rubicon model. The 6L80 auto uses a 4:1 first gear. You can use both, but its way too low for most trail use. Plus the adaptor that allows the rubicon case is much weaker then the 241J adaptor.

That said, it still pulled the load easy. Fact it was surprisingly easy for the jeep to get the load moving. Once it was rolling it was easy to get going too fast. Josh still had to steer the F350 with no power and that is no easy task.
RichL35 and Buildit like this.
__________________
2008 JKUR LS
TimsJK is offline   Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:17 PM
Thread Starter
  #44
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 64
So we get the truck and trailer up to the crest of the hill and pulled over into a very large area that is ideal for us to work on the truck.

After an hour of trying to diagnose the problem with the truck, we decided that it was way more then we could deal with and it would need to be towed home. I called a tow company and they said they would have a truck to us in 1.5 hours. Great, we could drive the jeep up the road to Evergreen and have some breakfast and warm up till it came.

After 2.5 hours and still no truck. When we called the truck driver to see where he was, he said he was on another call first and would be 5 more hours. That was ridiculous and we were not waiting that long. We called them back and canceled the order. I called my office at work and had one of my guys jump in a truck and head our way.

Josh and I still wanted to go to California so we figured we could just unload the camper from the trailer and tow it with the jeep and not miss a beat. We would wait for, Keith my driver to get there, hook the gooseneck to his truck, load the F350 on the gooseneck and he could take it back to my shop. Perfect plan. Only issue we had was the plates on the camper were missing. Never thought about the plates on the camper because it was always going to be on the big trailer. I was borrowing a buddy's camper trailer so I called him up and he met up with Keith on the way and gave him the plates. Wow, some things just work out.

Things were looking up and both Josh and I were exhausted but catching our second wind with the new plan and idea that the trip was still on. We had left my house 12 hours ago and we were only 77 miles away. Crazy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7057.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	4115481   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7059.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	4115483  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7062.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	4115485  
Shadowmaker and 2qik2see like this.
__________________
2008 JKUR LS
TimsJK is offline   Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:07 PM
Thread Starter
  #45
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 64
Some days things just don't go right! After I took the battery off the camper to jump start the jeep I forgot to but it back in the camper. Soooooo, after we hooked up the jeep to the camper and plugged in the wiring harness I needed to move the jeep out of the way of the gooseneck so Keith could get going. Just as I started to move, Josh started yelling FIRE, FIRE, FIRE!!!!!! Sure enough, the wires from the camper had grounded to the frame and huge flames were coming from the camper. NOT GOOD!

I jumped out of the jeep and ran back to inspect what the hell was going on and immediately knew what had happened and that it was all my fault. I was able to pull the wire off the frame and put the flames down with my shirt. I was so mad at myself. This was a self inflicted wound and I was not happy. Now the trailer had no lights and we were not going to have any of the camper functions while camping.

We were going to have to stop and get some parts. ugggg! Not what I wanted to have to deal with.

We were starting to feel the effects of the weather, hard work and stressful situation. A warm lunch was in order. We drove the jeep and camper back up the pass to Evergreen and pulled into Qdoba. With some time to reflect and plan we were feeling pretty shaky with our situation. After walking back out to the jeep we took a look at the trailer and realized we also needed to consider getting some new tires for the camper. They were not going to make the 1100 miles we had to go. Off to BigR we went. Got some new tires mounted on wheels from Walmart and a magnet light kit for the camper. After a little work in the parking lot we were ready to head off to California. At least we thought so........

Stay tuned, there is WAY more to this disaster of a trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7063.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	4115527  
Shadowmaker and 2qik2see like this.
__________________
2008 JKUR LS
TimsJK is offline   Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:34 PM   #46
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Monrovia, CA
Posts: 10
Good lord the struggle is real. I can't wait to hear what happened next. I am currently waiting for North Ridge to ship my new ProRock 44 after bending my stock D30 on a recent trip to Calico. This is quite the defeating trip so far.
MISTERSTEMEN is offline   Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 05:54 AM   #47
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RichL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Shore, Mass
Posts: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimsJK View Post
As I mentioned above, we loaded up the jeep and camper on my trailer and my buddy (LT 5.3 swap guy) and I headed out to California for the King of The Hammers 2018.

There was so much excitement and we both worked really hard to be able to go on this trip. Having done both LS swaps in the previous 5 months and not having any confidence in the swaps yet, we decided it was best to trailer one jeep out to have for a run around at the Hammers but not have to worry about any issues while driving 20+ hours. I don't think I had put even a 100 miles on the jeep before we loaded it up. I know for fact that I had not driven it up a mountain pass or steep grade to figure out if the temps would be ok. I was feeling pretty good about the decision to trailer out to California.

Then this happens.......

2012 F350 6.7 powerstroke motor seized up just outside Denver on Floyd Hill. This section of I70 is famous for truckers having problems due to the 7 percent grade and high altitude. The truck was pulling like a freight train and all of a sudden the lights on the dash go out and the truck stops running. It felt as if the transmission was needing to down shift but couldn't. It all happened so fast I couldn't even coast off to the side of the road.

There we were stuck in the right lane of I70 at 4am on a cold and windy morning with no way to get the truck started and no lights to let on coming cars and trucks know we were there. Its pitch dark and we are stuck.

At this time we didn't understand why we couldn't even turn on the hazards to alert cars of our position. So to keep from being run into we decided to turn on the jeep and use its lights to keep us safe while we figured out what to do.

Jeep was dead and unable to start. More on that later. So frustrated!!

We were screwed. It was probably 20 degrees out and with the crazy wind I would bet the wind chill was below zero. We were starting to get cold and grumpy. Every thing we tried wasn't working.

I remembered we had two brand new batteries on the camper that we could use to jump the jeep. So I unhooked the camper battery and took it back to the jeep and got the jeep started. So we were at least able to us the tail lights from the jeep to alert traffic. Of coarse by now the sun was starting to rise and it was not as dangerous as it was few hours earlier.

We still had a major problem, the F350 was dead as a door nail and stuck out in the lane of traffic with no shoulder to get over too and pointed up a crazy steep pass.

We had to do something aggressive and do it fast! We had numerous close calls with trucks just missing our trailer. One came so close to hitting us that I still don't know how he missed us. The scary part is that I was between the truck and trailer when he missed us. Had he hit the trailer I could have very easily been killed.

New plan.... take the jeep off the trailer and use the jeep to pull the truck and trailer up the hill 800-1000 feet to a pull over where were could get off the road and in a safe position. This was definitely going to be a challenge for the jeep to pull that heavy load up that grade.

I put the jeep in 4Low and it pulled us up and out of trouble like a champ! No problem.

More to come.........

Two words.... HOLY CRAP!
__________________
Nemesis is getting an LS this winter with a Motech install kit. Want to see how easy or hard the install is.... Follow here.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/ne...e-2149753.html

What am I up too..? Browse some photos here. (Imgbb link)
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f31/ric...s-2163905.html
RichL35 is offline   Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:05 AM   #48
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RichL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Shore, Mass
Posts: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimsJK View Post
Some days things just don't go right! After I took the battery off the camper to jump start the jeep I forgot to but it back in the camper. Soooooo, after we hooked up the jeep to the camper and plugged in the wiring harness I needed to move the jeep out of the way of the gooseneck so Keith could get going. Just as I started to move, Josh started yelling FIRE, FIRE, FIRE!!!!!! Sure enough, the wires from the camper had grounded to the frame and huge flames were coming from the camper. NOT GOOD!

I jumped out of the jeep and ran back to inspect what the hell was going on and immediately knew what had happened and that it was all my fault. I was able to pull the wire off the frame and put the flames down with my shirt. I was so mad at myself. This was a self inflicted wound and I was not happy. Now the trailer had no lights and we were not going to have any of the camper functions while camping.

We were going to have to stop and get some parts. ugggg! Not what I wanted to have to deal with.

We were starting to feel the effects of the weather, hard work and stressful situation. A warm lunch was in order. We drove the jeep and camper back up the pass to Evergreen and pulled into Qdoba. With some time to reflect and plan we were feeling pretty shaky with our situation. After walking back out to the jeep we took a look at the trailer and realized we also needed to consider getting some new tires for the camper. They were not going to make the 1100 miles we had to go. Off to BigR we went. Got some new tires mounted on wheels from Walmart and a magnet light kit for the camper. After a little work in the parking lot we were ready to head off to California. At least we thought so........

Stay tuned, there is WAY more to this disaster of a trip.

Listen. Don’t take this the wrong way but this makes me feel so much better about a camping trip I went on with my family to the island of Martha’s Vineyard. It was a disaster I still cannot get myself to write about! I also commend you on your resolve to go to KOH because all this happening within 77 miles of home would of turned me around. I would have taken this as a sign for sure.
TimsJK likes this.
__________________
Nemesis is getting an LS this winter with a Motech install kit. Want to see how easy or hard the install is.... Follow here.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/ne...e-2149753.html

What am I up too..? Browse some photos here. (Imgbb link)
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f31/ric...s-2163905.html
RichL35 is offline   Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:51 AM
Thread Starter
  #49
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 64
Ok, lets get back to this crazy story....

Now that we had two new wheels and tires under the trailer and the new wiring and lights were working, we headed out finally starting our trip.

We had to completely over pack the jeep full to get all the gear that we had in the truck into the jeep. I mean there was not one square inch of space in the cabin of the jeep. It was a load. Not sure how much it weighed, but I bet we gained 500-800 pounds easy. We even stuffed the little space the popup camper had inside. I was anxious to see how the jeep pulled the load.

We made it up and over the passes and into Grand Junction Colorado. At this time it was clear to both of us that we were worn out and just not up for another 12 hours of driving so we made a change to the trip and decided to go to Moab for a few days and just relax, hit a trail or two, mostly just hang out. It had been more then we bargained for already and our harts just went into the California trip anymore. So off to Moab we went.

It was late and very dark when we arrived in Moab. Finding a camping site was not easy, but we new the area and were able to slip into a good spot and set up for the night. Since there was not electric into the camper we had to use the generator to get the site set up and heat up the camper.

By all accounts, things went well and we were fast asleep!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7065.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	4116343   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7067.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	4116345  

Shadowmaker, Buildit and 2qik2see like this.
__________________
2008 JKUR LS
TimsJK is offline   Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:19 AM
Thread Starter
  #50
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 64
The next morning we fixed breakfast and figured out the plan for the day. Poison Spider Mesa was a perfect trail for the day. Off we went.

The trip seamed to have settled down a bit and we were feeling good.......That didn't last long......

Stay tuned.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7072.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	4116353   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7074.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	4116355  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7081.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	4116357   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7083.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	4116359  

__________________
2008 JKUR LS
TimsJK is offline   Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:23 AM
Thread Starter
  #51
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 64
This popped up on my Facebook page today. . Good memories and a sweet truck. Wish I had it still, would have loved to put a LS3 in it.


Red Rock Pickup: 1998 Chevy S-10 - 4-Wheel & Off-Road Magazine
RichL35 likes this.
__________________
2008 JKUR LS
TimsJK is offline   Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:45 AM   #52
Jeeper
 
ztman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: central pa mountains
Posts: 2,216
Pretty wild story.
__________________
I don't mind spending money, I mind wasting money.

Sold Jeeps -68 CJ, 73 CJ, 80 CJ, 88 YJ, 95 YJ, 11 JK

Current Jeep 16 JKUWW
ztman is offline   Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 02:12 PM   #53
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
Pretty wild story.
Just wait...
RichL35 likes this.
Dunedain313 is offline   Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:27 PM
Thread Starter
  #54
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 64
Fun little drone video that we took. The end is strong, beginning is weak.


Shadowmaker likes this.
__________________
2008 JKUR LS
TimsJK is offline   Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:01 PM   #55
THE MIGHTY GRIZZLY!

5-Year WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: AZ. In the Ponderosa Pine Country, where the Bears are hungry..
Posts: 24,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunedain313 View Post
Just wait...
Welcome to the Forum.
__________________
1974 CJ5, 2003 TJ, 2013 2 door Black Rubicon, auto, with 4.10 ratio.
Shaking at 40-70 MPH, Read this!!!

The Mighty Grizzly is not concerned,
with
the needs of the Hunter....


Click here and become a WF supporting Member
Old Dogger is offline   Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:22 PM   #56
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dogger View Post
Welcome to the Forum.
Thanks! My Jeep made it in this thread before I made it onto the forum!
Stitches1974 and TimsJK like this.
Dunedain313 is offline   Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:42 PM
Thread Starter
  #57
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 64
Time to get this going again.

After about an hour or two on the trail, we were climbing a little ledge and the worst sound ever came from the Tcase. Bang!! Super loud. However, it just seamed like it had popped out of gear. Nope, it would not shift into high or low range. It was stuck in neutral. So we spent the next hour trying to get it into gear.

Having just done the LS swap and installing a used JKU case that I had no history with, I was not sure what had happened. I also thought it could be the linkage since the swap has some really hokey brackets for the linkage I was not really sure where the problem was. After doing everything one can do on the trail, we were pretty much screwed. We were far enough into the trail that were knew we were in for either a really long walk or waiting around and hoping another vehicle came along.

I wasn't really into either of those options so I jumped in the jeep and started to get aggressive with the shifter. Low and behold, the dumb thing went into low! Hallelujah! We were in business.

So we turned around and headed back off the trail. As we made our way down the trail it became clear that something major was wrong inside the case. A God awful grinding noise was getting louder and louder. At this time we were still at least an hour from the trail head and then like 6-8 miles to get back into town. We proceeded as carefully as possible absolutely babying the heck out the jeep on every little bump in the trail.

By the time we were at the trail head the noice had become so loud at any speed over about 3 or 4 MPH that it felt like it was going to explode. Not having a trailer or truck to haul the jeep into town we decided to drive it as slow as possible and see how far we could get.

3 hours after hitting the asphalt, we made it to Moab 4x4. How that tcase held together is beyond me. I am not sure it would have made it another 500 feet past the parking lot of the shop.

They put it on the lift and out came the case. Not good as was to be expected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7099.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	4116717   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7095.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	4116719  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7098.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	4116721   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7097.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	4116723  

__________________
2008 JKUR LS
TimsJK is offline   Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:13 PM
Thread Starter
  #58
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 64
Josh, who was with me on this trip, (Dunedain313) has just pointed out a few holes in my story..... because I can't edit my post, Ill add it now.

I failed to mention that it was closer to 3 hours trying to get the jeep into gear. We did everything one would think of. We winched it forward and let it roll back to try to engage it. We tried while winching forward. we raved it up and tried to bump it in at different RPM's. We tried with the motor off. We took the drive shaft off to try to release the binding on the drive train. We rocked and rolled it back and forth. We took the linkage cable off and tried to pound the lever on the case with a hammer. We got so exhausted we took lunch to bitch and complain.
Im pretty sure we were preparing for a very long hike out and slow walk back to town.

The other crazy thing was that we did not see one, not one other vehicle on the trail the entire time we were there. Thats a first for me. All the years I have been going to Moab, I have always seen at least one truck on the trail. Not that day, not one. Crazy!!

I can say with certainty, that is the only time I have ever attempted a trail in Moab with out another vehicle with me. That will be the last time too.

Lesson learned, always have a wing man with a vehicle, not just in the passenger seat.
Shadowmaker likes this.
__________________
2008 JKUR LS
TimsJK is offline   Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:56 AM   #59
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RichL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Shore, Mass
Posts: 2,638
Wow... Looks like you had some really poor engagement in the t case? Thank god you managed to get it back into low!

Waiting for the rest of the story now that @Dunedain313 is here to keep it straight. Haha..

__________________
Nemesis is getting an LS this winter with a Motech install kit. Want to see how easy or hard the install is.... Follow here.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/ne...e-2149753.html

What am I up too..? Browse some photos here. (Imgbb link)
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f31/ric...s-2163905.html
RichL35 is offline   Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 04:00 PM
Thread Starter
  #60
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 64
Upon inspection of the adaptor, it was dinged up but usable. A little work with a file and it was good enough to trust. The problem was the old Tcase was so jacked up the nothing in it was usable and the case its self was messed up too. The end conclusion was that when I installed the adaptor in the tcase, the large snap ring did not get seated 100% and worked its way loose. When that happened, everything inside came loose too. This makes me wonder how the heck we ever made it back into town. It literally just dumped out of the case like a bag of legos. You can see it the pictures how much carnage was inside the case yet it still functioned, sort of.

Now we had to figure out how to locate a stock unlimited case in a town that was almost a ghost town that time of year. The problem in Moab is that most of the rental jeeps and most of the local jeeps are Rubicon models. That was not going to work. I need a stock 241J.

Somehow, the owner of Moab 4x4 had a customers jeep in the shop waiting for an Atlas case to be made and the owner had left the jeep in Moab for the winter and would not be coming back till EAS and by then, the Atlas would be there and installed. So he called the owner up, who lived in NY, and asked if he wanted to sell his stock case. Luckily he said yes and we were off to the races. Rory, the owner of Moab Offroad wanted to to take the stock case out of his customers jeep the next morning and install the adaptor and case into my jeep the next day. So Josh and I had to kill some time and figure out how to get to our camp site.

The camper was a very very long walk from the 4x4 shop and it was dark out. We had nothing with us and no idea what to do.

It was at this time that I decided to call a buddy of mine that owned a jeep rental shop in Moab and discuss renting a jeep for the evening and the next day just to be able to get around. I called Jeremy at Outlaw Jeep Tours to see what he had. This guy is awesome! He hooked up up with a brand new, and I mean brand new 2018 Rubicon! Josh and I were in business. We meet up with Jeremy and took the keys to our freedom for the next 24 hours. Amazing luck.

More on Jeremy and Outlaw Jeep Tours coming up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7108.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	4117921   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7106.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	4117923  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7104.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	4117925  

__________________
2008 JKUR LS
TimsJK is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC