Hi everyone! I've followed these forums for some time now and have always come here if I've had an issue with my build, and I figured I should probably sign up and be able to communicate things! Anyway, I figured what better to way to introduce myself than to post my build.
-1995 Wrangler YJ
How I bought it ^
Bought this thing toward the beginning of Summer 2011 for $3,000 from an old friend of my dad's. The thing had been sittin in his dad's towing garage for 3 years with nothing done to it. I knew it was gonna need a lotta work, but if you don't wanna put the work into a jeep, you shouldn't own one.
DISCLAIMER: Before owning this vehicle I had minimal-to-none-at-all knowledge of motor vehicles and how they worked. If it weren't for my dad, I would've been royally screwed for all of this. Even still, this is a learning experience for me that I absolutely freakin love.
First thing we did to it gut the entire interior and bring up the carpets. We scrubbed the carpets to get some oil stains out, and scratched up the floor to spray it with a couple layers of bed liner. We also did some minor touch ups like repaint the hardware for the seats.
Gutted everything and scratched it up^ (No, I'm not an alcoholic, the red cups were just to put parts in their corresponding areas without losing them haha)
There was some pretty bad rust spots on the front floor panels because a lot of water sits there when you bring it in with your shoes or whatever^
The interior after the coatings dried^
After scratching up as much rust as I could, the bed liner covered and sealed up whatever was left^
After we put the thing back together, what we did was put a 2" body lift on it with new Dick Cepek alloy rims and 31" Goodyear tires. (Parents would let me do anymore than 2 inches, and my dad told me suspension lifts were significantly more difficult and expensive) Installing the lift kit ended up being a multiple day project. We faced two major problems:
-The middle of the 3 bolts on the passenger side frame kept spinning and wouldn't come out. We ended up following the advice of someone on the forum and cutting a small flap directly above the bolt in the floor pan and actually cut the bolt out, pushing the cut flap back down in place.
It was startin to come together^
Next thing on the list was a new top. The one on there when I bought it was (I'm pretty sure) stock and was REALLLLY stretched and was hardly even watertight anymore. We hit 60 on the highway and the thing started flying off, no joke. SO we ordered a black Bestop Replace-a-top and put it on ASAP! God was that thing a pain to stretch on, but it's great. At this point, since the thing was pretty much blacked out on the exterior, I decided to adopt the name "Black Betty".
Black Betty with the new top on^
For the sound system, I put in a Pioneer head unit, replaced the two factory front speakers (which were shot) with Sony Xplod speakers...had to unbolt the whole windshield...and mounted two 6x9 speaker boxes on the rear wheel wells. Also, I put a 600-watt Sony amp under the backseat to power it all
Oh yeah! My dad found an old CB in my g-parents basement that used to be my Pop-pops before he passed away and so he gave it to me. I mounted it under the head unit using industrial strength velcro. I just bought a magnetic antenna and ran the wire tucked up above one of the hinges for the door on the passenger side.
The head unit and CB^
Right rear 6x9 speaker, the left is mounted the same kinda way^
Amp I hid and mounted under the backseat^
Somewhere among all of this, I bought a cheap seat cover set (by cheap I mean good quality but no Wet Okele covers) to cover up a few smaller rips in the original seats and a console to put in between the two front seats.
Covers in the back are the same as these^
Along with a LOT of replacement parts, grab handles, and a new muffler/exhaust that I don't have a picture of, this is the sum of what I've done to the rig so far.
For my next big purchase (when job money and allowance add up) I plan on buying Smittybilt SRC front and rear bumpers and a cargo carrier that goes into the receiver hitch to haul some camping gear and what not.
SO lemme know what you guys think! Ideas, opinions, criticism, suggestions, whatever! Thanks!
P.S. I wanna keep this thing going as I add stuff on