"Rudy" My CJ build - Page 6 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > CJ Jeep Forum > CJ Build Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree56Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-30-2019, 01:57 PM
Thread Starter
  #151
Jeeper
 
tylermats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Location Location
Posts: 458
Doing this today

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190330_145705505_1553972248185.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	4139231  
tylermats is offline   Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:31 AM   #152
Jeeper
 
daddyjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Smethport, PA
Posts: 3,784
Looks good. Make me a set. I have to do the same to cover my shock towers.
tylermats likes this.

__________________
87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT
DaddyJeep build Thread:https://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/dad...ld-122601.html
daddyjeep is offline   Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:59 PM
Thread Starter
  #153
Jeeper
 
tylermats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Location Location
Posts: 458
CAUTION! LONG vent session:

I got the transmission tunnel in. I haven't really touched this thing in weeks. I had to move it back up to my fathers house. A car got stolen out of the shop as well as some other things. But the stolen car was the last straw. The Jeep had to go.

I am running into a hellish nightmare right now. When I was building the frame and suspension I didn't account for the space needed to mount the alternator. I also decided to run a short water pump on my engine which severely limits my bracket options.

I've been scouring the internet for hours today at my parents house and running back and forth from the house to the garage seeing if I can some up with SOMETHING that will work with my set up.

I might be cutting and welding some more if I can't find something that will work. I may end up have to modify existing brackets, but the big problem is the shock towers and support cross member that I welded in right above the water pump pulley

I thought I was so cool when I started this project a few years ago. however im getting ready to move again in less than a year for my next duty station and i need this thing capable of moving. But im at my whits f-ing end.

I've been riding my new motorcycle everywhere. I dropped it twice in less than a week and I lost it. Stood outside my MIL house screaming at the top of my lungs for 5 minutes. Both accidents could have been avoided. I've just been trying to avoid this Jeep because it stresses me out. So much left to do, more $$$ to spend, more time to spend and I can come home to this everyday.

Working until 2100 at the shop everynight is starting to take its tole. I'm tired, very tired. I moved into a 350 sq/ft studio three months ago and I have no space. My bed is 4ft away from my stove. My wife moved 2 hours away like last August and naturally I have to drive up every weekend to see her.

I took this semester off because I can't f-ing balance everything right meow. I broke down late last year and told someone I trust I wanted to come home and put a *** in my mouth. Telling him ended up being the best thing I could have done.

I got another dose of reality this week when I learned of the Sri Lanka easter attacks. I stayed at the Cinnamon hotel back in 2016 that they bombed. I remembered all those people i've seen in 3rd world countries that were so much less fortunate than me. But here I am bitching about how I have so much money I have to spend. When there cant even make enough money to feed themselves.

I remembered those refugees we stopped in the ocean between Somalia and Yemen fleeing because people were getting hacked up with machetes. Little did they know we had just bombed and leveled the city they were heading to. No cell phone bill, no rent, nothing. All they cared about was surviving.

I just need to get this Jeep painted and good enough to drive. In all honesty I feel better having it back at my folks place. It's nice to kick it with my family all day and get out of my small apt. Plus i don't have to be stressed about having it at the shop and now its back indoors. So thanks to my mom for letting me bring it back, because she runs the house.

Anyway im done venting. Hopefully I'll have more tech soon lol
tylermats is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-29-2019, 07:52 AM   #154
Jeeper
 
daddyjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Smethport, PA
Posts: 3,784
Hang in there buddy. I am pretty sure we have all been there.... when life just keeps piling it on. You just have to push through the rough stuff until it gets better. It has to get better right? I sure hope so.

You are building something custom..... something cool. Of course there are going to be challenges. You will sort it out. Having something other than all the cookie cutter Jeeps out there is worth all the aggravation.
__________________
87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT
DaddyJeep build Thread:https://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/dad...ld-122601.html
daddyjeep is offline   Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:12 PM   #155
Jeeper
 
willd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Southern AZ
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylermats View Post
CAUTION! LONG vent session:

I got the transmission tunnel in. I haven't really touched this thing in weeks. I had to move it back up to my fathers house. A car got stolen out of the shop as well as some other things. But the stolen car was the last straw. The Jeep had to go.

I am running into a hellish nightmare right now. When I was building the frame and suspension I didn't account for the space needed to mount the alternator. I also decided to run a short water pump on my engine which severely limits my bracket options.

I've been scouring the internet for hours today at my parents house and running back and forth from the house to the garage seeing if I can some up with SOMETHING that will work with my set up.

I might be cutting and welding some more if I can't find something that will work. I may end up have to modify existing brackets, but the big problem is the shock towers and support cross member that I welded in right above the water pump pulley

I thought I was so cool when I started this project a few years ago. however im getting ready to move again in less than a year for my next duty station and i need this thing capable of moving. But im at my whits f-ing end.

I've been riding my new motorcycle everywhere. I dropped it twice in less than a week and I lost it. Stood outside my MIL house screaming at the top of my lungs for 5 minutes. Both accidents could have been avoided. I've just been trying to avoid this Jeep because it stresses me out. So much left to do, more $$$ to spend, more time to spend and I can come home to this everyday.

Working until 2100 at the shop everynight is starting to take its tole. I'm tired, very tired. I moved into a 350 sq/ft studio three months ago and I have no space. My bed is 4ft away from my stove. My wife moved 2 hours away like last August and naturally I have to drive up every weekend to see her.

I took this semester off because I can't f-ing balance everything right meow. I broke down late last year and told someone I trust I wanted to come home and put a *** in my mouth. Telling him ended up being the best thing I could have done.

I got another dose of reality this week when I learned of the Sri Lanka easter attacks. I stayed at the Cinnamon hotel back in 2016 that they bombed. I remembered all those people i've seen in 3rd world countries that were so much less fortunate than me. But here I am bitching about how I have so much money I have to spend. When there cant even make enough money to feed themselves.

I remembered those refugees we stopped in the ocean between Somalia and Yemen fleeing because people were getting hacked up with machetes. Little did they know we had just bombed and leveled the city they were heading to. No cell phone bill, no rent, nothing. All they cared about was surviving.

I just need to get this Jeep painted and good enough to drive. In all honesty I feel better having it back at my folks place. It's nice to kick it with my family all day and get out of my small apt. Plus i don't have to be stressed about having it at the shop and now its back indoors. So thanks to my mom for letting me bring it back, because she runs the house.

Anyway im done venting. Hopefully I'll have more tech soon lol
I haven't been back on this forum since I sold my Jeep last December, but seeing your post above got me back on here.

I totally understand how stressed you are and how easy it is to feel overwhelmed - it happens to everybody in all walks of life. I hate to sound cliche and what not but most everything in life happens for a reason and honestly you will be surprised by how tough you are when you get through this build and all of the other challenges you're facing - because you need to remember that you will get through them. I've been in really shitty situations myself (mainly brought on by myself) and sometimes it takes some serious self reflection to get through them - but given all the challenges I've faced in my life I can honestly say that I'm damn proud of how I got through them and who I've become because of them.

I know what you said that it happened late last year, and I want to say that I really appreciate the honesty with us on the forum and the courage to talk to us about it but just remember that taking that easy way out is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

You'll get through this man, just hang in there.
__________________
1991 Jeep YJ - 4.0/AX15, Ford 8.8 w/ LSD, Aussie in front, 4.11 Gears, 5.5" RE Lift kit, SYE, XRC bumpers front & rear, 33x12.50 KO2's
willd is offline   Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:37 PM
Thread Starter
  #156
Jeeper
 
tylermats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Location Location
Posts: 458
Update: Making progress on the Jeep again. I took a day off from work at the shop this week to relax and it did me a lot of good. The Navy ran out of funding for TA for this fiscal year so I now have a good excuse to stop taking classes. I've been doing great in school but time off is always good.

I sat down this week and figured out what I would need to make the power steering and alternator situation work. I ended up buying a PSC type 2 GM pump and a cylinder head mounting bracket. Everything lined up perfectly I was so excited. I just stood there looking at the pulleys. PERFECT. No shims or spacers needed. It felt good.

Alternator bracket went right on and i'm still waiting for my 140 Amp alternator to come in. I had to purchase a new mechanical fuel pump for my fuel system so that's on its way. I'm using all -6AN fittings with stainless braided on my fuel system under the hood so it looks pretty trick.

I am also using -6AN fittings on my power steering system with stainless braided so it all complements each other very nicely.

I also started getting the wiring harness back in the Jeep, but I stopped what I was doing because I am trying to focus on one thing at a time.

I have to fabricate a new battery tray for the Jeep. I realized that my original plan to mount my surge tank was way to complicated. So instead i'm going to just bolt it to the underside of the battery tray. It will work perfectly.

Making all the braided line is killing my thumbs but I think it will pay off in the end. If I can find time to cut out the steel for this battery box at the shop this week, I can bring it up to my folks place and bend everything up in the hydraulic press i have here at the house.

By that time my new mechanical fuel pump will be in and I will be able to plumb "ALL" the fuel lines under the hood. I have most of the lines already made and i'll make some more after this post before game of thrones comes on.
tylermats is offline   Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:57 PM   #157
Jeeper
 
daddyjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Smethport, PA
Posts: 3,784
Sounds like you are back on track
__________________
87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT
DaddyJeep build Thread:https://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/dad...ld-122601.html
daddyjeep is offline   Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:50 AM
Thread Starter
  #158
Jeeper
 
tylermats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Location Location
Posts: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep View Post
Sounds like you are back on track
Yup thank goodness. I woke up this morning and my thumbs are killing me from making stainless steel braided line.

Here are some pictures.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
daddyjeep likes this.
tylermats is offline   Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:59 PM
Thread Starter
  #159
Jeeper
 
tylermats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Location Location
Posts: 458
New battery tray has been made. I still new to fab a tie down mechanism for it.

Surge tank mounted. Alternator has been mounted. Pulley belts are on the power steering pump and alternator.

And I have begun wiring the car.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
tylermats is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:19 AM   #160
Jeeper
 
daddyjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Smethport, PA
Posts: 3,784
My hold down is pretty simple and holds the battery rock solid. It has a piece of 1/2" angle that engages under a tab on the firewall side and locks in with one bolt at the bottom.

tylermats likes this.
__________________
87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT
DaddyJeep build Thread:https://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/dad...ld-122601.html
daddyjeep is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:37 AM
Thread Starter
  #161
Jeeper
 
tylermats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Location Location
Posts: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep View Post
My hold down is pretty simple and holds the battery rock solid. It has a piece of 1/2" angle that engages under a tab on the firewall side and locks in with one bolt at the bottom.

Ooooo I like that, gonna steal the idea.
daddyjeep likes this.
tylermats is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:39 AM   #162
Jeeper
 
daddyjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Smethport, PA
Posts: 3,784
You don't have to steal it... that's why I gave it to you.
__________________
87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT
DaddyJeep build Thread:https://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/dad...ld-122601.html
daddyjeep is offline   Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:01 PM
Thread Starter
  #163
Jeeper
 
tylermats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Location Location
Posts: 458
I'm stuck at work all day today with nothing to do. So I have been thinking about trying to install an engine oil cooler on my Jeep.

Its basically a radiator with an electric fan just like one would use for engine coolant. Except they aren't as big. I just got done pricing out everything I'd need to run a cooler.

It would only cost me $700.

I need:

1. 6: -10AN Hose end fittings @ $9.95 = $99.50

2: 8: -10AN to -10AN couplers @ $7.98 = $63.84

3. 1: Fram oil filter @ $14.99

4. 1: Oil Filter Bypass Adapter @ $79.95

5. 1: Remote Oil filter mount @60.19

6. 1: Performance Engine oil Thermostat @ $117.95

7. 1: Derale Hyper-cool remote fluid coller @ $205.99

8. 1: Derale Electric Fan Relay @$16.99

9. 1: Plastic on/off switch @ $5.00


Total price: $664.40 w/o Tax and stainless steel braided hose and 10% off military discount.




I don't think i'll run the oil cooler. I have to get other stuff done. But i'm going to keep this in the back of my mind in case I want to revisit it.
tylermats is offline   Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:32 PM   #164
Jeeper
 
daddyjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Smethport, PA
Posts: 3,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylermats View Post
I'm stuck at work all day today with nothing to do. So I have been thinking about trying to install an engine oil cooler on my Jeep.

Its basically a radiator with an electric fan just like one would use for engine coolant. Except they aren't as big. I just got done pricing out everything I'd need to run a cooler.

It would only cost me $700.

I need:

1. 6: -10AN Hose end fittings @ $9.95 = $99.50

2: 8: -10AN to -10AN couplers @ $7.98 = $63.84

3. 1: Fram oil filter @ $14.99

4. 1: Oil Filter Bypass Adapter @ $79.95

5. 1: Remote Oil filter mount @60.19

6. 1: Performance Engine oil Thermostat @ $117.95

7. 1: Derale Hyper-cool remote fluid coller @ $205.99

8. 1: Derale Electric Fan Relay @$16.99

9. 1: Plastic on/off switch @ $5.00


Total price: $664.40 w/o Tax and stainless steel braided hose and 10% off military discount.




I don't think i'll run the oil cooler. I have to get other stuff done. But i'm going to keep this in the back of my mind in case I want to revisit it.


Edit: It would be cool if I could get sponsored for this Jeep. But offroading is so mainstream today, everyone has a custom Jeep, and nothing im doing to this bad larry is anything new. Not to mention I really dont want to put someone elses name all over this thing after ive put so much work into it.

But getting some free shit for this thing would be cool
My '95 Chevy engine had a factory oil cooler. I currently don't have it hooked up and am not sure if I ever will. What I am trying to say here is that you do not necessarily need to build an expensive custom set up when a factory designed system is already out there.
__________________
87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT
DaddyJeep build Thread:https://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/dad...ld-122601.html
daddyjeep is offline   Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:42 AM
Thread Starter
  #165
Jeeper
 
tylermats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Location Location
Posts: 458
Got the engine cranking again this weekend. I only have to hook up a few more wires and the engine will run again. Next step will be to hook up the clutch and brakes.

The entire fuel system under the hood is finished. The power steering lines are all finished. I almost just want to drive up to my parents house today after work to keep working on it but I can't.

I have a 4 day weekend for memorial day so im going to get a lot done. I am also taking another 2 weeks off from work at the beginning of June. So I should have it driving by then assuming I can make the drive shaft, brake lines, and hook up the clutch.
tylermats is offline   Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM
Thread Starter
  #166
Jeeper
 
tylermats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Location Location
Posts: 458
Jeep is running again

Onto the next thing

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
daddyjeep likes this.

tylermats is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC