GPS units - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Communications and Electronics

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Pirateover50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Padooooka, KY
Posts: 101
GPS units

Looking for a GPS unit that I can actually see! Yes nearing 60 years old. I have a Garmin 60 cs. Does anyone use a regular size? ( Nuvi, Megellan, etc...5 inch screen.. )Has anyone tried a GPS receiver connected to iPad or iPod? Just looking for something different and something that I don't have to stop and put on my reading glasses! Thanks.

__________________
There's always a 4.5 % margin of error. Plus or minus!
Pirateover50 is offline   Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
bbtj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Box Elder, SD
Posts: 2,086
I've got a Garmin Nuvi and really like it. Mine has voice recognition, bluetooth, lifetime maps, live traffic, eco route planning, calculates the gas mileage, shows me where I've been, so I can back track on a trail if needed, and some features I've never used.

bbtj is offline   Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Tiburon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Manchester, CT
Posts: 671
Send a message via MSN to Tiburon
X2 on a Garmin. I've owned 3 of them and they hold up good and are the easiest to operate. You can get a decent one for about 100 bucks now (my first was over $500) If seeing the screen is necessary I'd rec that you get one that speaks street names so you dont have to look at it as often. Stay away from TomTom the screen is difficult to understand at a glance. Magellan will fall apart on you.
__________________
2006 SE 6 Speed, Solar Yellow. Zone 2" Hydro BB, Sway Links, and Steering Stabilizer. 31x10.5-15 Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo. Alpine CDA9813, Polk MM6, Polk C400.4
Tiburon is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Thread Starter
  #4
Jeeper
 
Pirateover50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Padooooka, KY
Posts: 101
So you're saying they do work well enough off road?
__________________
There's always a 4.5 % margin of error. Plus or minus!
Pirateover50 is offline   Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 129
X3 on the Garmin. I have two and neither has ever let me down. I was not aware you could add a GPS receiver to an Ipad/Ipod. All I know is I have used the app on my Ipad and lost reception.
AJ_IOOF is offline   Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Thread Starter
  #6
Jeeper
 
Pirateover50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Padooooka, KY
Posts: 101
AJ IOOF. Here is the one of the best, or at least on my research what I have found.

DUAL Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver For All Smartphone Apps.

And can be used with iPad that only has wifi.
__________________
There's always a 4.5 % margin of error. Plus or minus!
Pirateover50 is offline   Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Gjersey84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 183
x4 for the Garmin Nuvi. i've got the 2595LMT which is similar if not maybe the same as the one bbtj has... bluetooth, voice recognition, life time maps, live traffic and the ecoroute etc. It works great and it gives pretty damn good detailed directions with 3d map and pictures of exits that you will be getting off on and everything. With a holder that can bring it closer towards your seat it would be perfect. Probably the best GPS i've had/used.
Gjersey84 is offline   Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,920
another Garmin Nuvi convert here it also moves very easily from Jeep to Jeep depending if it is off road or road trip...did have to pay extra to download maps/ lifetime maps but very reasonable.
jp2611 is offline   Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 129
"
AJ IOOF. Here is the one of the best, or at least on my research what I have found.

DUAL Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver For All Smartphone Apps.

And can be used with iPad that only has wifi."




Well if you decide to go that route let us know how it works out. I'm over 50 myself and every year my arms seem to get a little shorter LOL.
AJ_IOOF is offline   Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
bbtj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Box Elder, SD
Posts: 2,086
Mine Does

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateover50 View Post
So you're saying they do work well enough off road?
Mine does, not sure of the model number, but I can check, if you want. Mine shows some trails, but not all. It does have a freature that shows me where I have been, so even if I'm off-road, I can back track, if needed.
bbtj is offline   Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Thread Starter
  #11
Jeeper
 
Pirateover50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Padooooka, KY
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtj View Post
Mine does, not sure of the model number, but I can check, if you want. Mine shows some trails, but not all. It does have a freature that shows me where I have been, so even if I'm off-road, I can back track, if needed.
That's what I was wondering. Most " trails " I'm on probably not on anyone's map. Just as long as I can mark and make my on trail tracks.
__________________
There's always a 4.5 % margin of error. Plus or minus!
Pirateover50 is offline   Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Moabite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Moab
Posts: 1,641
I've been teaching GPS/Compass and Land Navigation for many years. I've used pretty much all of the Garmin trail series GPS units (12XL, eTrex, 60 and 62 series, etc). I recently switched to the Montana 600...wow! It has the capability to download satellite imagery and real USGS topo maps. Garmin's maps suck, in my opinion. The Montana 600 is my dream GPS. Once you start using satellite imagery in a GPS, you need a larger screen like the Montana. The 62 series used satellite imagery, but the screen is way too small. I have mine configured so that when I zoom in to a certain magnification, it automatically switches to the satellite image. If I zoom out, it switches to the USGS topo maps. I regularly create routes on the computer and download them into the GPS so that the route is overlaid on either the satellite image or USGS map. The satellite images are invaluable...especially on remote trails at night (trails that you seldom find on Garmin's maps). I have RAM mounts for the gps in each of my vehicles.

By the way...I'm 65 years old with eyes to match.
__________________
Current:2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Gone again: 1982 Scrambler -Same one I sold in 1996 - Rebought in 2016, just sold it again for a buncha $$$
2013 JKUR softtop - Gladly traded for a '16 GMC Canyon
Gone and fondly remembered: '03 Rubicon purchased when they were first introduced
'82 Scrambler purchased new in 1982 - sold in '96
Moabite is offline   Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #13
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabite View Post
I've been teaching GPS/Compass and Land Navigation for many years. I've used pretty much all of the Garmin trail series GPS units (12XL, eTrex, 60 and 62 series, etc). I recently switched to the Montana 600...wow! It has the capability to download satellite imagery and real USGS topo maps. Garmin's maps suck, in my opinion. The Montana 600 is my dream GPS. Once you start using satellite imagery in a GPS, you need a larger screen like the Montana. The 62 series used satellite imagery, but the screen is way too small. I have mine configured so that when I zoom in to a certain magnification, it automatically switches to the satellite image. If I zoom out, it switches to the USGS topo maps. I regularly create routes on the computer and download them into the GPS so that the route is overlaid on either the satellite image or USGS map. The satellite images are invaluable...especially on remote trails at night (trails that you seldom find on Garmin's maps). I have RAM mounts for the gps in each of my vehicles.

By the way...I'm 65 years old with eyes to match.


Just curious...to get a set up like that what type of coin are we talking?

I can appreciate your experience I learned to navigate with a compass and the 6 digit grid cords back in '80 in basic training...insome ways I think that was better....now if you loose power or what not a lot of people are in REAL TROUBLE!!
jp2611 is offline   Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Moabite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Moab
Posts: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2611 View Post
Just curious...to get a set up like that what type of coin are we talking?

I can appreciate your experience I learned to navigate with a compass and the 6 digit grid cords back in '80 in basic training...insome ways I think that was better....now if you loose power or what not a lot of people are in REAL TROUBLE!!
We stress compass and map skills ahead of gps. Batteries have a nasty habit of going dead at inopportune times.

You can do an online search for the Montana 600...prices vary...not cheap but entirely worth it, in my opinion. I've seen the GPS for as low as $480. To activate the unit for downloading satellite imagery and USGS maps is about $30/year for each service. But if you download everything you need in the first year, you do not need to renew the subscription and you do not lose access to what you have already downloaded.

There are other new Garmin units that have similar software and capabilities with smaller screens for less money. But as I already mentioned, I prefer a larger screen, especially when viewing satellite images.

__________________
Current:2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Gone again: 1982 Scrambler -Same one I sold in 1996 - Rebought in 2016, just sold it again for a buncha $$$
2013 JKUR softtop - Gladly traded for a '16 GMC Canyon
Gone and fondly remembered: '03 Rubicon purchased when they were first introduced
'82 Scrambler purchased new in 1982 - sold in '96
Moabite is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC