After reviewing all you guys have said plus talking to my radio guy and the better part of the day to correct it is complete.
First the ground, all of you are correct it is not good enough. And according to my radio guy grounding to the frame is not optimal. The body has more surface area so it makes a better ground plane than the frame. His words not mine but it makes sense, here is what I did.
I removed the mounting plate for my carrier to gain access to the inside of the tail gate. I then remove the paint and connect one end of the ground strap to the gate.
I then reattached the cover plate threading the ground strap through a slot in the plate. I removed a power coating from behind one of the bump stops and attached the other end of the ground strap under the stop.
I did put shrink tubing around the strap to keep it from scratching the paint up. Also if you do something like this don't forget to paint over any exposed sheet metal after you have attached the strap.
As we all know the tail gate is not a good ground so I didn't stop there. I added a second ground strap running from the tail gate to the body. I did this through the existing wire run covering the strap with shrink tubing again to prevent it from chaffing the existing wiring.
After everything was buttoned up the SWR had come down to under 3 across the board, 40 still higher than 1.
The antenna I am using is a Wilson Flex 4. According to my radio guy this are very long electrically. The top has a brass fitting about 2 inches long with a slide pin that will make it another 2 inches long. I removed the pin and it got a little better. After that I started grinding down the brass fitting, getting better every time I did. I basically too the brass fitting down to the shrink tube, removed over an inch. The end result is an SWR of 1.1 or less across all channels.
Now just to find some on the radio. Thanks for every ones help.