flat tow with J20851 front bumper - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > Vendors > ExtremeTerrain.com

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dfwgreg
  • 1 Post By XTJake
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-31-2015, 12:16 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
indiobill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: indio calif
Posts: 105
flat tow with J20851 front bumper

i was looking at the Barricade J20851 Trail Force HD Front Bumper and was wondering if you sell it with tow hooks for flat towing ? i dont want to use the D rings for tow hooks. is the plate heavy enought to drill out and install tow hooks?

indiobill is offline   Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #2
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
 
XTJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 6,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiobill View Post
i was looking at the Barricade J20851 Trail Force HD Front Bumper and was wondering if you sell it with tow hooks for flat towing ? i dont want to use the D rings for tow hooks. is the plate heavy enought to drill out and install tow hooks?
I've seen people use the D ring mounts for flat towing. We don't sell additional tow hooks for that bumper. If you were to add something to the bumper you want to make sure it bolts into the frame like the D-ring mounts do. That is the only way to get the strength you'd need for towing. Let me know if you have any other questions!

-Ryan

__________________
Jake R. | ExtremeTerrain.com Off-Road Outfitters
Toll Free: 800-988-4605 | Mon-Fri 10AM-6PM EST
Free Shipping on Orders Over $75!
PM me for our WranglerForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts)[COLOR=Red] or Price-Matching!
👉Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel👈
XTJake is offline   Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:52 AM   #3
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
Flat Towing with Barricade Bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTJake View Post
I've seen people use the D ring mounts for flat towing. We don't sell additional tow hooks for that bumper. If you were to add something to the bumper you want to make sure it bolts into the frame like the D-ring mounts do. That is the only way to get the strength you'd need for towing. Let me know if you have any other questions!

-Ryan
According to Extreme Terrain Q&A for my Barricade Trail Force HD, Item J20850, it can't be flat towed from the bumper???

Why can't this bumper be used for flat towing if it can support 12,000 lb winch pulling force and the d-ring mounts are attached to the frame and support 9500lb d-rings?

I already have this bumper. How else can I flat tow?

Why wouldn't these work? 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Base Plates - Roadmaster
Dfwgreg is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-14-2017, 10:34 AM   #4
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
 
XTJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 6,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfwgreg View Post
According to Extreme Terrain Q&A for my Barricade Trail Force HD, Item J20850, it can't be flat towed from the bumper???

Why can't this bumper be used for flat towing if it can support 12,000 lb winch pulling force and the d-ring mounts are attached to the frame and support 9500lb d-rings?

I already have this bumper. How else can I flat tow?

Why wouldn't these work? 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Base Plates - Roadmaster
Whoever answered your Q&A question must have misinterpreted your question Dfwgreg.

The Barricade Trail Force is more than sturdy enough to be used for flat towing. Like you said, if it can withstand a 12,000lb winch pulling force than it can easily be flat towed! Those D-Ring mounts in the link that you shared seem like they would work just fine also.

Overall I think you will be A-ok to flat tow your rig using the Barricade Trail Force! Just to be safe I'd check everything after the first 100 miles just to be safe though.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

-Jake
__________________
Jake R. | ExtremeTerrain.com Off-Road Outfitters
Toll Free: 800-988-4605 | Mon-Fri 10AM-6PM EST
Free Shipping on Orders Over $75!
PM me for our WranglerForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts)[COLOR=Red] or Price-Matching!
👉Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel👈
XTJake is offline   Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:58 AM   #5
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
It actually wasn't my original question. It was a question about the Blue Ox adapters (similar to roadmaster's I linked) for towing from the bumper and an Extreme Terrain Staff member xtnuno replied saying the Barricade IS NOT DESIGNED TO BE TOWED FROM.

".....Will this bumper fit with an BlueOx adapter used to tow the Jeep as a dinghy? DSB

Hello, on the Barricade Trail Force HD Front Bumper (07-17 Wrangler JK) the bumper is not designed to be towed from, so we wouldn't advise using this bumper if you wish to tow behind a motor home, etc... Unfortunately none of our bumpers are designed for that. XTNunoHelpful (0)"

See here under Q&A Barricade Heavy Duty Rock Crawler Wrangler Front Bumper J20850 (07-17 Wrangler JK) - Free Shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTJake View Post
Whoever answered your Q&A question must have misinterpreted your question Dfwgreg.

The Barricade Trail Force is more than sturdy enough to be used for flat towing. Like you said, if it can withstand a 12,000lb winch pulling force than it can easily be flat towed! Those D-Ring mounts in the link that you shared seem like they would work just fine also.

Overall I think you will be A-ok to flat tow your rig using the Barricade Trail Force! Just to be safe I'd check everything after the first 100 miles just to be safe though.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

-Jake
Dfwgreg is offline   Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:01 AM   #6
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
Towing from bumper

P.s. He (XT Staff) answered a similar question AGAIN saying you can't tow from it??

"...Will I be able to mount tow eyes to this bumper for towing behind my RV?
Bob

Hello, Unfortunately the this bumper is not tow rated. We highly recommend against using this bumper in this or any similar manner.

XTNunoP Helpful (0)"
Dfwgreg is offline   Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:30 PM   #7
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
I can't seem to get a consistent answer.
crpietschmann likes this.
Dfwgreg is offline   Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:50 PM   #8
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
 
XTJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 6,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfwgreg View Post
It actually wasn't my original question. It was a question about the Blue Ox adapters (similar to roadmaster's I linked) for towing from the bumper and an Extreme Terrain Staff member xtnuno replied saying the Barricade IS NOT DESIGNED TO BE TOWED FROM.

".....Will this bumper fit with an BlueOx adapter used to tow the Jeep as a dinghy? DSB

Hello, on the Barricade Trail Force HD Front Bumper (07-17 Wrangler JK) the bumper is not designed to be towed from, so we wouldn't advise using this bumper if you wish to tow behind a motor home, etc... Unfortunately none of our bumpers are designed for that. XTNunoHelpful (0)"

See here under Q&A Barricade Heavy Duty Rock Crawler Wrangler Front Bumper J20850 (07-17 Wrangler JK) - Free Shipping
Well I'll give you the straight answer here and say that you can in fact flat tow your Jeep using the Barricade Front Bumper with the BlueOx Adapter.

The bumper is rated to withstand a pulling force of 12,000 lbs, the D-Ring hoop is fully welded, and the bumper attaches directly to the frame horns using (8) 1/2" bolts. The bumper is well beyond solid enough to be used as a towing point.

If you have any other questions just let me know! Also in the future feel free to send me over a PM if you have questions like this.

-Jake
__________________
Jake R. | ExtremeTerrain.com Off-Road Outfitters
Toll Free: 800-988-4605 | Mon-Fri 10AM-6PM EST
Free Shipping on Orders Over $75!
PM me for our WranglerForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts)[COLOR=Red] or Price-Matching!
👉Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel👈
XTJake is offline   Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:40 AM   #9
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8
Below is my exchange with first Kody then Jennifer when I emailed Barricade. Both are from Extreme Terrain. So I have conflicting info from XT?? Newest is at the top.


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Jennifer K. (Extreme Terrain)
Jan 16, 5:48 PM EST

Hi Greg,

The D-rings, not the mount itself, are rated at 9500lbs. The 9500lbs references a breaking strength, not a constant pull capability. I am not suggesting that the mounts could not handle this type of weight for a short period of time such as for recovery, which is what they are designed for. With flat towing, you have a lot of variables that effect the weight and force on the vehicle such as wind speed, road speed, elevation, incline, etc.. They might be located close to the frame mount but they are not tied in. I am not saying that the bumper is not capable but we have not tested it for that purpose so we are unable to recommend using it for flat towing. If you choose to use the bumper for flat towing, it would be at your own risk. Have a good evening.
Jennifer K.
Customer Service Specialist

If you have additional questions and would like to talk to a Wrangler enthusiast give us a call at
1-844-887-6502
Mon-Thu 8:30a-11p, Fri-Sun 8:30a-9p EST

Greg
Jan 16, 4:46 PM EST

I don't guess I follow. The D-rings are rated at 9500lbs each and are welded on both sides and the frame attachment is RIGHT BY the d-rings. I don't know how it could be any closer. Jeeps weigh about 4200lbs. I guess I'm just missing how it could EVER be any stronger, particularly since the combined rating of the d-rings is over 4 times the weight of the Jeep.

Greg

Jennifer K
Jennifer K. (Extreme Terrain)
Jan 16, 4:31 PM EST

Hello Greg,

Thank you for contacting us. The Barricade bumpers are not rated to be towed behind a motorhome so we cannot support the bumper being used in that manor. The reason for this is that the d-ring shackle mounts are welded through the front and back of the bumper which makes them stronger than just being welded on the outside, but they do not provide a frame tie in. During the manufacturing process, they are inserted through a hole in the bumper and then welded to the bumper on the outside and on the inside. They are not however, tied into the frame mount of the Jeep like the bumper is. The reason the bumper can hold a 12,000lb winch is the winch mount is integrated into the steel of the bumper which is welded to the mount and attached to the frame. It is a much larger section that is welded to the mounting plate that provides a frame tie in. I do apologize for the confusion with previous answers and I hope the explanation behind my answer helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Have a good day

Jennifer K.
Customer Service Specialist

If you have additional questions and would like to talk to a Wrangler enthusiast give us a call at
1-844-887-6502
Mon-Thu 8:30a-11p, Fri-Sun 8:30a-9p EST



Unusual? They are 2 of the most common tow bars for towing Jeeps behind motorhomes. All I need to know is if the d-ring bumper mounts can be used as an attachment point for towing. Please forward to someone that may know. Extreme Terrain rep said it was no problem.

Greg



Kody W (Extreme Terrain)
Jan 15, 4:09 PM EST

Hey Greg,

Those Blue Ox and Falcon 2 towing devices are a very unique a uncommon design. Although they may be compatible with the front ends of the wranglers, none of our bumpers listed on the website are tested and assured to work and function properly like the other devices from Blue Ox or Roadmaster. Unfortunately, if the manufactures of the bumpers do not guarantee the fitment for this type of application, I can not ensure this will work the way you are intending for it to work.

I apologize for any inconvenience and would be more than happy to help with any further questions or concerns!
Kody W.
Customer Service Specialist

If you have additional questions and would like to talk to a Wrangler enthusiast give us a call at
1-844-887-6502
Mon-Thu 8:30a-11p, Fri-Sun 8:30a-9p EST

Greg

I think you are misunderstanding completely. I am referring to flat towing the jeep with all for wheels down with something like a Blue Ox or Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar attached to a frame mounted receiver hitch on the motorhome.

What does this mean in your email?

"We will always recommend that if you are going to be pulling the Jeep behind another vehicle that you should use a rear hitch receiver and pull the vehicle from that position with the vehicle in Neutral." Of course I would be using a rear hitch receiver and tow in Neutral. What other option would there be? What does a rear hitch receiver have to do with the front of the Jeep? The frame rails that the bumper is attached to is THE ONLY safe attachment point for flat towing so I don't know what you mean.

The only issue is HOW to attach to the Jeep. Option one is a base plate that mounts to the Jeep frame in the same place the bumper mounts. Option 2 is to put a d-ring adapter like this (Tow Bar D-Ring Adapters | Warrior Products) and attach directly to the bumper that is mounted to the frame on aftermarket bumpers. Some lightweight aluminum bumpers aren't strong enough.

Greg

Kody W (Extreme Terrain)
Jan 15, 12:26 PM EST

Hey Greg,

None of the bumpers we have available on our website will not be rated for flat towing. Reason being is that pulling directly on the front bumper will put stress of the frame rails that the front bumper is attached too and can even cause bending. Over periods of time, if the frame rail gets bent from the stress, it can even damage the motor mounts which will be quite an expensive replacement.

We will always recommend that if you are going to be pulling the Jeep behind another vehicle that you should use a rear hitch receiver and pull the vehicle from that position with the vehicle in Neutral.

I apologize for any inconvenience but we want to make sure everyone is safely transporting their rigs where ever they go!
Kody W.
Customer Service Specialist

If you have additional questions and would like to talk to a Wrangler enthusiast give us a call at
1-844-887-6502
Mon-Thu 8:30a-11p, Fri-Sun 8:30a-9p EST

Greg
Jan 14, 11:21 AM EST

I have the Barricade Trail Force HD Front Bumper on my 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport and would like to flat tow behind my motorhome. I heard mixed responses on if I can tow from the bumper shackle attachments. Extreme Terrain's Q&A says you can't tow from it?? Why can't this bumper be used for flat towing if it can support 12,000 lb winch pulling force and the d-ring mounts are attached to the frame and support 9500lb d-rings? What other options are there for flat towing with this bumper if that doesn't work? Greg


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


Quote:
Originally Posted by XTJake View Post
Well I'll give you the straight answer here and say that you can in fact flat tow your Jeep using the Barricade Front Bumper with the BlueOx Adapter.

The bumper is rated to withstand a pulling force of 12,000 lbs, the D-Ring hoop is fully welded, and the bumper attaches directly to the frame horns using (8) 1/2" bolts. The bumper is well beyond solid enough to be used as a towing point.

If you have any other questions just let me know! Also in the future feel free to send me over a PM if you have questions like this.

-Jake
Dfwgreg is offline   Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:57 PM   #10
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
 
XTJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 6,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfwgreg View Post
Below is my exchange with first Kody then Jennifer when I emailed Barricade. Both are from Extreme Terrain. So I have conflicting info from XT?? Newest is at the top.
This makes my head go

There are some right and some wrong points in your conversation you had with the two reps. The Barricade Trail Force HD is in fact not tested to withstand being flat towed behind a motor home, and the D-Ring mounts don't tie directly into the frame horns. That being said, if something were to happen while you were flat towing your Jeep, Barricade wouldn't be liable for the damage.

On the other hand, the D-Ring mounts are heavy duty, they're mounted right in line with where the bumper mounts to the frame, and the bumper is made from 5/32" plated steel. The numbers and the specs all point to being able to flat tow your Jeep. Although the bumper isn't specifically rated for flat towing, I would have no worry about flat-towing your Jeep using the Blue Ox or Roadmaster tow bars.

Just as a reference here's a quick video from YouTube of another Jeep owner towing his Wrangler behind his motor-home using the D-Ring mounts on his Aluminum bumper.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwfSnH4-SGo

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Jake
dtech99 likes this.
__________________
Jake R. | ExtremeTerrain.com Off-Road Outfitters
Toll Free: 800-988-4605 | Mon-Fri 10AM-6PM EST
Free Shipping on Orders Over $75!
PM me for our WranglerForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts)[COLOR=Red] or Price-Matching!
👉Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel👈
XTJake is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:02 AM   #11
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTJake View Post
Well I'll give you the straight answer here and say that you can in fact flat tow your Jeep using the Barricade Front Bumper with the BlueOx Adapter.

The bumper is rated to withstand a pulling force of 12,000 lbs, the D-Ring hoop is fully welded, and the bumper attaches directly to the frame horns using (8) 1/2" bolts. The bumper is well beyond solid enough to be used as a towing point.

If you have any other questions just let me know! Also in the future feel free to send me over a PM if you have questions like this.

-Jake
Does this same explanation apply to other Barricade bumpers that are built the same, and have the same 9,500 lbs d-ring, and 12,000 lbs winch ratings listed? Is the Barricade Extreme HD bumper (https://www.extremeterrain.com/barri...r-2018-jl.html) able to be used to flat tow / dingy tow by connecting the tow bar to the d-rings on the bumper using an appropriate adapter?

If this is the case, then the ExtremeTerrain.com website should mention this in the product details for each of these bumpers. Also, why do you guys give mixed answers between this forum and your product FAQ answers?

Please give us a straight answer. Can we use these bumpers to flat tow by connecting to the d-rings?
crpietschmann is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:07 AM   #12
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTJake View Post
This makes my head go

There are some right and some wrong points in your conversation you had with the two reps. The Barricade Trail Force HD is in fact not tested to withstand being flat towed behind a motor home, and the D-Ring mounts don't tie directly into the frame horns. That being said, if something were to happen while you were flat towing your Jeep, Barricade wouldn't be liable for the damage.

On the other hand, the D-Ring mounts are heavy duty, they're mounted right in line with where the bumper mounts to the frame, and the bumper is made from 5/32" plated steel. The numbers and the specs all point to being able to flat tow your Jeep. Although the bumper isn't specifically rated for flat towing, I would have no worry about flat-towing your Jeep using the Blue Ox or Roadmaster tow bars.

Just as a reference here's a quick video from YouTube of another Jeep owner towing his Wrangler behind his motor-home using the D-Ring mounts on his Aluminum bumper.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwfSnH4-SGo

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Jake
So the video you link to shows a bumper where the d-rings have bolts in them going all the way through the bumper to the frame. This is a very different mount that the welded mount behind the bumper on the Barricade font bumpers where the d-rings are only welded to the bumper. This is a very different construction.

ugh...
crpietschmann is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:41 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 212
Buy a trailer...that's how I will "tow" my Jeep. Gives you more space for ladders, generators, extra fuel jugs and other things. I washed through all the 4 down options and don't trust towing such a short wheelbase vehicle four down. My MH is built on the Ford 550 chassis so power is there for the additional weight of the trailer and the tow capacity is 10K. I had a really hard time...just as you...trying to get someone to endorse/agree four down would work. Too many "Dewey, Cheatham and Howe" law firms today for anyone to lean towards liability.
__________________
Atlanta, Georgia
1989 YJ, 4.2, 5 Speed
Mud Soup With Cornbread is offline   Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:45 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
tootalltom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Elk River, MN
Posts: 57
I am looking at this same issue. I have learned of 2 bumpers where they say they support towing from the bumper.

I have a Demco tabless base plate. I really would like to continue to use that base plate but find a bumper that will work with the baseplate. So far that is proving to be difficult. I think I have found a couple that will work but based on installation information adding a winch will not work as that interferres with the base plate mounting.

So far I am strongly looking at the Barricade Trail Force HD and LOD Armor Lite.

My goal is find an after-market bumper that will fit about the same as factory at least from the mounting bolt down and mounts the winch on top of the bumper rather then inside it as that that seems to interfere with the base plate.

I have asked XT to measure the distance from the bottom bolt to the bottom of the bumper to see if it is the same as the factory one.

Tom

__________________
2010 JKUS - stock (hopefully soon to change)
tootalltom is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC