New 2018 Wrangler pics, back up cam and less camo - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JL Jeep Wrangler Forum > JL Wrangler Pics And Vids Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-24-2017, 03:36 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
VGut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Hotlanta
Posts: 42
New 2018 Wrangler pics, back up cam and less camo

The other site just posted new pics of the JL with less cammo. New running boards and back up camera. All looks like it's shaping up to be a lot like the JK with some "fixes"

All the pics are here



VGut is offline   Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:07 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
turnbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,331
I wouldn't make a final judgement based on this particular mule. It doesn't look completely like the new body style. While the longer hood is present, in addition to the fender flares, it appears to me that the windshield rake is the same as the JK's.

The fact that it has a backup camera is a given; all 2018+ models are required to have backup cameras.

turnbull is offline   Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:43 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
CorpCow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 79
This is clearly no longer in the mule stage so we're looking at the final new body style. Backup camera no big deal and expected but the biggest surprise in the pics is the full length drip rails showing the roof's been changed. Looks like it won't be removable.
CorpCow is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-27-2017, 12:25 PM
Thread Starter
  #4
Jeeper
 
VGut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Hotlanta
Posts: 42
They also leaked a pic that shows the roof line without camo, and large grab handles on the inside. I'm seeing a solid roof here but hopefully I'm wrong.
VGut is offline   Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:03 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
turnbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,331
There have been updates to the page (more pictures, for example). There is actually hope for a folding windshield!

"Our sources have indicated that the JL will not only retain a foldable windshield, but Jeep has actually redesigned Wrangler to make it easier to fold up and down."

A while back, I remember seeing a patent that showed a folding windshield design for the Wrangler (though I can't see to find it now). Instead of folding forward the traditionally way where the inside of the windshield would be facing up, the patent showed the windshield sliding and folding backwards so the inside of the windshield would be facing down towards the hood.

The forum notes that the rearview mirror is mounted to the roof instead of the windshield which makes it easier to fold down. However, I think there is another reason for the relocation. The rearview mirror CAN'T be mounted to the roof if the windshield is foldable because if you remove the roof panels, you will lose the mirror. However, if the windshield is designed like the patent I described above, it is possible that there is a fixed A-pillar that surrounds the windshield, and this is in fact what the mirror is attached to. The windshield would then "pop out" of the pillar, fold backward, and slide down, and you could still remove the roof panels without losing the mirror.
turnbull is offline   Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:09 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
turnbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,331
On a side note, autoblog also posted some spy photos. Most of them we have already see except the last 2:

New spy photos of the next Jeep Wrangler reveal a backup camera - Autoblog

In the last 2 photos, you can clearly see the new fog lights. They appear to be rectangular LEDs. What is interesting is their placement; they are much closer to the outer edges of the bumper than the JK. Another prominent feature is the bulge in the center of the bumper where the fog lights would normally be. Could this be a factory winch option? That would explain the relocation of the fog lights. Also, you can clearly see that the JL bumper is "smiling," giving us a clue as to what it will look like.
turnbull is offline   Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:50 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
turnbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbull View Post
A while back, I remember seeing a patent that showed a folding windshield design for the Wrangler (though I can't see to find it now). Instead of folding forward the traditionally way where the inside of the windshield would be facing up, the patent showed the windshield sliding and folding backwards so the inside of the windshield would be facing down towards the hood.
I read the thread some more and found some more info on the windshield:

(I can't seem to get the link to work correctly. Just use the link at the top of this thread and go to page 4).

In the picture at the top, there appears to be a hinge underneath the wiper blades. If you scroll down a little bit, you can see a sketch of what this might look like. This sketch is similar to the patent I mentioned, and I believe the inspiration for the sketch came from the patent. As you can see in the sketch, the window still folds forward, but there is still a fixed A-pillar that surrounds it.
turnbull is offline   Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:32 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
CorpCow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 79
Nice to see folding windshield staying. Look at the rake on the windshield, it's much more than I thought it'd be!
CorpCow is offline   Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:13 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Moabite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Moab
Posts: 1,632
A folding windshield is still pure speculation...as is almost everything else you read about the JL. The JK windshield is so difficult and time-consuming to fold down that I never even considered it to be foldable. I modified my '03 so that I could drop the windshield in less than a minute...almost as fast as I can drop it on my Scrambler. If a folding windshield in the JL still leaves the A pillars or a frame in place, Chrysler just doesn't get it.
__________________
Current:2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Gone again: 1982 Scrambler -Same one I sold in 1996 - Rebought in 2016, just sold it again for a buncha $$$
2013 JKUR softtop - Gladly traded for a '16 GMC Canyon
Gone and fondly remembered: '03 Rubicon purchased when they were first introduced
'82 Scrambler purchased new in 1982 - sold in '96
Moabite is offline   Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:56 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
turnbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabite View Post
A folding windshield is still pure speculation
Yea I didn't mean to come off as "it's confirmed." I am just relaying information I saw, and even the source wasn't 100% sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabite View Post
The JK windshield is so difficult and time-consuming to fold down that I never even considered it to be foldable. I modified my '03 so that I could drop the windshield in less than a minute...almost as fast as I can drop it on my Scrambler. If a folding windshield in the JL still leaves the A pillars or a frame in place, Chrysler just doesn't get it.
I disagree. Like you said, the JK windshield is difficult and time-consuming (I don't know personally). So if the JL's windshield is much more user friendly, that is a good thing, and more people will probably take advantage of that.

If the JL windshield does fold down, and there is a fixed A-pillar, I really don't see what the complaint is. The windshield is still folded down. What is the point in folding down the frame as well if that just makes the process 10x more complicated and time consuming so that nobody uses it?

Don't get me wrong; I understand you want a "traditional" folding windshield. However, early reports suggested the folding windshield is gone completely, and whether you want to admit, this method (if true) has some advantages. Considering that, I'd say it is a great compromise.
turnbull is offline   Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:01 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
CorpCow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabite View Post
A folding windshield is still pure speculation...as is almost everything else you read about the JL.
It was speculative until pics of the actual windshield hinges were recently posted (see link in first post).

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbull View Post
Yea I didn't mean to come off as "it's confirmed." I am just relaying information I saw, and even the source wasn't 100% sure.
They've said it's confirmed now and posted visual proof.
CorpCow is offline   Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:40 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
turnbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpCow View Post
They've said it's confirmed now and posted visual proof.
Jeep hasn't said it is confirmed, and the "visual proof" could easily be misleading. Sure it looks like a hinge, but that doesn't mean it is a hinge.

I think the most convincing evidence is the fact that the rearview mirror is mounted to the top and not the windshield. Still, I wouldn't call it confirmed yet.
turnbull is offline   Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:23 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 750
Why in the heck would I want a folding windshield? Then I'd have to buy googles.
__________________
2013 Anvil 10A. PS Brawler Lite front bumper with skid plate. PS Rock Brawler rear bumper. PS differential covers. Rock Krawler front/rear track bars. Steer Smart Yeti steering linkage. Trektop Pro Hybrid soft top. Toyo 33 inch Open Country R/Ts. AEV 2.5 inch lift. Fishbone tube doors. Fishbone step sliders. Adams driveshafts.
zenman is offline   Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:57 PM   #14
I drive Papa Smurf

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Pressurized's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 13,646
One thing that I have said all along is that it looks like they have gotten much closer to what the wheel back spacing is supposed to be from the factory. The tires are nearly flush with the fenders.

I hope this is not because they need to be there to clear the new suspension. If so, bigger tires are going to be a much bigger challenge in some states...
__________________
2012 JKU Sahara - Pro Comp LED Headlights - PRS Audio mod- SWS - GraBars - Bestop Cargo Cover

Papa Smurf - Mopar 2" Frankenlift - Teraflex Falcon Shocks - RE TB/Brackets - JKS mount/Bilstein stabilizer - Rugged Ridge XHD bumper- Yukon Gears - G2 Diff Covers - Pro Comp 8186 - Milestar Patagonia 35's - Smittybilt Rear Tire Mount - Hi-Lift

- TORQ Locker - 1310 Driveshaft - Air Bags - Full Core 4x4 Control Arms and Track Bars
Pressurized is online now   Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:27 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
CorpCow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenman View Post
Why in the heck would I want a folding windshield? Then I'd have to buy googles.
If it's not an improved mechanism to fold down the windshield then the function exists just as a relic since the current one is so difficult as to be a deterrent to actually using the feature. But fact that they moved the hinges tells me that it's likely improved.
CorpCow is offline   Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:24 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
actualsize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Santa Ana, Ca.
Posts: 76
What's with the extra cammo on the door hinges? Anyone have any theories on that?
__________________

BUY IT NOW: 2012 Wrangler Sport, 33" BFG Mud Terrain KM2 tires, AEV wheels, Rubicon Dana 44 4.10 e-locker axles, Mopar/Teraflex/Fox 3" lift, Expedition One Trail Series front bumper, Superwinch Talon 9.5iSR
REPLACEMENT: 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
box stock except for a few cosmetic mods (for now)
actualsize is offline   Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:29 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 20
I read somewhere that a diesel version will be available. Not holding my breath..
Mazetrick is offline   Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:20 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
TheGreatGrapeApe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by actualsize View Post
What's with the extra cammo on the door hinges? Anyone have any theories on that?
No need for theories anymore...

https://tinyurl.com/k4xcv4o

__________________
_--- @¶¶¶¶¶¶¶© ---_
You need a license to buy a gun, but they'll sell Anyone a stamp (or internet account). - Adapted from Red Green
2010 JK-X 6spd RescueGreen -> 2015 JK Sport-S 6spd BAJAYELLOW
2012 JKU-R 5spd DozerYellow -> 2015 JKU Aspen-X 5spd BAJAYELLOW
TheGreatGrapeApe is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC