New to the Forum, Just bought 93 YJ Wrangler - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > WF Local > WF Local Forums for Your Region and State > Indiana Jeep Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-06-2014, 03:27 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Crawfordsville
Posts: 6
New to the Forum, Just bought 93 YJ Wrangler

Hi everyone, Just bought my first jeep today...... 1993 Wrangler YJ. I'm like a little boy on Christmas morning........
Could use any technical advice. Especially on the transfer case, and the wiring from the fuel pump. Also pros and cons about this year of YJ.
It is four wheel drive with a four cylinder engine. The cross member is being held up with C-Clamps, do not know what kind of issues there are with the transfer-case. Also have issues with the wiring to and/or from the fuel pump. Engine will start if you pour gasoline into it. Also has some rust issues in the rear frame, near the mounts of the "leaf" (spelled correctly?) springs
I thought about doing some upgrades in the future. What would be some initial needed or recommended up-grade?? Thought of dropping a GM small block 350. Maybe a 4.0 straight six from a wrecked Cherokee from a friend. Got some info from a Dodge dealership today, from the VIN number. Suppose to have Dana 30/186mm Front axle, 175mm rear axle with 4:10 rear axle ratio (do not know much about yet, how do I verify this info?). Would appreciate any input....Thanks

yjwrangler350build is offline   Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
YJ Sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 235
Welcome to party or misery depending on what day it is! I myself have a 95 YJ so I can probably help you out with some of your questions. From what I see you have some good n some bad. Unfortunately 93 was the last year before Jeep started galvanizing frames and tubs. Good news is in 93 they started fuel injecting the 4 bangers/bad it is a 4 banger....trust me I have one. Great strong motor but she is a bear to get going on highway speeds. Throw 70mph out the window right now! The 4 banger will get you anywhere you need to go off road though which is why I like it and it's pretty much bulletproof with proper maintenance. I assume you have a manual with the 4.10 gears in a D30 up front and your rear is a Dana 35. That's a good gearing for the Jeep but with the engine you really shouldn't go bigger than 31's but could run 33's with the proper lift. The only issue is the D35 doesnt like turning such big tires and has been prone to failure. What you can do and especially if you are thinking of upgrading engine is put a 8.8 rear axle from a late model explorer in it. It is set up for 4.10 gears but axles and diff are much stronger than D35 and requires minimal modification plus 4 wheel disc brakes. Oh and the 8.8 is limited slip which helps. You have an NP231J transfer case which are also bulletproof. I can hopefully answer any detailed questions you may have. As far as crossmember are you referring to the transmission skid plate? If you need bolts for it I can get you the bolt sizes you need and you can purchase them at a Lowes or home depot in the Grade 8 bolt area. My best advice is to get a Jeep factory service manual. It is the bible of your Jeep. I have one for my 95 I can email you but im sure there will be some differences. This will be your greatest asset for electrical issues. Finally you will love your YJ. It's a give and take relationship. You give her hell on the trails and she gives it back with bone rattling vibrations. Don't let people make fun of your square headlights and remember the YJ was the last model actually built under the AMC/JEEP company! Last piece of advice as a quick mod to help ride is get rid of your front and rear trackbars!! They are useless and they ride will be better after they are gone! Hope this helps answer some questions!

__________________
95 YJ, 2.5, Auto, 2" Zone lift, 31" BFG A/T, Work in Progress
YJ Sean is offline   Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:26 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
YJ Sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 235
Also if you live around Indy I can give you a hand with any projects you might have, or you can come help wrench on mine. Im in the process of rebuilding my transmission as we speak! Good luck!
__________________
95 YJ, 2.5, Auto, 2" Zone lift, 31" BFG A/T, Work in Progress
YJ Sean is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-08-2014, 08:39 AM
Thread Starter
  #4
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Crawfordsville
Posts: 6
Thanks for the info

Appreciate all of the info. Yes, it is a manual 5 speed transmission. I'm so excited to work on it. I am from Crawfordsville, I work 4 on and 4 off (12 hour shifts). Would like to come see your ride sometime, maybe get some pointers as well. First Jeep I have ever owned, so I have a lot to learn. Would like to give it a suspension lift, just like the way it looks when you do so... Have a fantastic day!
yjwrangler350build is offline   Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Lee1207's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Elizabeth, Indiana
Posts: 130
Name:  20141019_152742.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  36.2 KB

I have a pic of that 95yj
Lee1207 is offline   Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
YJ Sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee1207 View Post

I have a pic of that 95yj
Haha thanks Lee!
__________________
95 YJ, 2.5, Auto, 2" Zone lift, 31" BFG A/T, Work in Progress
YJ Sean is offline   Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Lee1207's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Elizabeth, Indiana
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ Sean View Post

Haha thanks Lee!
Thought you might like that lol
Lee1207 is offline   Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:44 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Cormizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjwrangler350build View Post
Appreciate all of the info. Yes, it is a manual 5 speed transmission. I'm so excited to work on it. I am from Crawfordsville, I work 4 on and 4 off (12 hour shifts). Would like to come see your ride sometime, maybe get some pointers as well. First Jeep I have ever owned, so I have a lot to learn. Would like to give it a suspension lift, just like the way it looks when you do so... Have a fantastic day!
Coming from a jk owner N a person that just met lee and Sean not to long ago they Are both well knowledgeable but if you ever need a hand with something I might be able to help with let me know I live in Columbus ... Oh btw welcome to the broke ppl hobby !
Cormizer is offline   Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:59 PM
Thread Starter
  #9
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Crawfordsville
Posts: 6
Frame rusted badly

Hi everyone, Thanks for all of the help. I rented a trailer to go pick my 93 YJ (wrangler) up today, so I could deliver it to a local shop in Ladoga......Which they said they could help me with it prior today. Unfortunately, today after they saw the frame they declined on it, for now anyway, they didn't want to tie up a lift for that kind of project. They said the frame needs a lot of work. I am afraid it all needs replaced. I could use some HELP Please. Partial replacement is not a good option i'm afraid. The whole frame, especially the back half needs replaced. I do not have a garage to work on it.....yet. Suggestions on how to take the cab/body off to replace the frame. What is a good vendor for frame parts?
yjwrangler350build is offline   Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:20 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
macintux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Central IN
Posts: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjwrangler350build View Post
Hi everyone, Thanks for all of the help. I rented a trailer to go pick my 93 YJ (wrangler) up today, so I could deliver it to a local shop in Ladoga......Which they said they could help me with it prior today. Unfortunately, today after they saw the frame they declined on it, for now anyway, they didn't want to tie up a lift for that kind of project. They said the frame needs a lot of work. I am afraid it all needs replaced. I could use some HELP Please. Partial replacement is not a good option i'm afraid. The whole frame, especially the back half needs replaced. I do not have a garage to work on it.....yet. Suggestions on how to take the cab/body off to replace the frame. What is a good vendor for frame parts?
Afraid I can't offer any direct advice, but would definitely recommend posting your question on the YJ tech forum. Much wider audience.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/
macintux is offline   Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 11:16 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
thedawgshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Pittsboro, Indiana
Posts: 1,929
Hey there Hoosier and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you with your YJ. Sounds like the best thing you could do, if you want to continue down this trail, is a complete frame replacement and then a frame of restoration. Frames can be found here on this forum, ebay, craigslist, junk yards and more. There is even a place called Davy's Jeeps too.

Once you find a good frame, then it will be time to take that tub off, and start replacing stuff. I don't know what all you will need to replace, but by the sound of it, it will be a lot of it. I am not trying to scare you, but rust is a real motor scooter. It sounds like your YJ is ate up with cancer underneath. That means there might not be much that is salvageable underneath.

A noble effort to bring an old YJ back, but it is going to be a lot of work and take a lot of patience. You have come to the right place for help though. Lots of great folks with great advice and lots of knowledge.

I will be glad to help in any way possible, as I live in Pittsboro just down 74 from you. I have some tools, but not near enough for everything I want to do or to do a frame off restoration. Just give me a shout out though with any questions or what ever. I will be glad to help!!!
__________________
Jeff "DAWG" Stafford
------------------------
George Washington did not use his right of free speech to defeat the British. He shot them!!!!
thedawgshow is offline   Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:47 PM
Thread Starter
  #12
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Crawfordsville
Posts: 6
Thanks for the info.....what are you talking about when you said "tub" ???
Noticed you are from Pittsboro.....my wife is there everyday....she works at SDI. Awesome to find some friends so close to home. Would love to chat with ya some time. Think I might have bitten off more than I can chew....
Appreciate all the help. Steve ([email protected])














Quote:
Originally Posted by thedawgshow View Post
Hey there Hoosier and welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you with your YJ. Sounds like the best thing you could do, if you want to continue down this trail, is a complete frame replacement and then a frame of restoration. Frames can be found here on this forum, ebay, craigslist, junk yards and more. There is even a place called Davy's Jeeps too.

Once you find a good frame, then it will be time to take that tub off, and start replacing stuff. I don't know what all you will need to replace, but by the sound of it, it will be a lot of it. I am not trying to scare you, but rust is a real motor scooter. It sounds like your YJ is ate up with cancer underneath. That means there might not be much that is salvageable underneath.

A noble effort to bring an old YJ back, but it is going to be a lot of work and take a lot of patience. You have come to the right place for help though. Lots of great folks with great advice and lots of knowledge.

I will be glad to help in any way possible, as I live in Pittsboro just down 74 from you. I have some tools, but not near enough for everything I want to do or to do a frame off restoration. Just give me a shout out though with any questions or what ever. I will be glad to help!!!
yjwrangler350build is offline   Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:54 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
thedawgshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Pittsboro, Indiana
Posts: 1,929
The tub is the body it's self. The Wrangler is what you call a body on frame system. This is how all cars and trucks used to be made, but now most things are built as uni-body. You can literally take the body off of the frame and do what is called a frame up restorsation.

Shout out at me anytime. I am always on here, almost everyday.

Where is SDI?
__________________
Jeff "DAWG" Stafford
------------------------
George Washington did not use his right of free speech to defeat the British. He shot them!!!!
thedawgshow is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:52 PM
Thread Starter
  #14
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Crawfordsville
Posts: 6
SDI ( Steel Dynamics Inc.) My wife works there.
Out by interstate 74....
Still haven't got to do anything with my YJ yet....
Really wishing I had a garage to start taking it apart.
R&R CUSTOMS in Waynetown might be assisting me in my frame issues.
Ready to start the process....
yjwrangler350build is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:53 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
thedawgshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Pittsboro, Indiana
Posts: 1,929
Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!! I should have been able to figure that out, SDI. I've known a few folks that have worked there.

I can't wait to watch that old YJ come to life!!!
__________________
Jeff "DAWG" Stafford
------------------------
George Washington did not use his right of free speech to defeat the British. He shot them!!!!
thedawgshow is offline   Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:24 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
YJ Sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 235
Just wanted to check in to see how it was going with the YJ. Any luck with the frame?

__________________
95 YJ, 2.5, Auto, 2" Zone lift, 31" BFG A/T, Work in Progress
YJ Sean is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeepģ, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC