Originally Posted by Wharfrat
What were the suggestions and can you tell me what worked? Just installed the exact same carrier/mount/antenna/coax but had not gotten to the cb itself yet. Curious to see what fixes yours.
I got it down to a bit above 2.0 using a 3 ft antenna. It's not great, but at least it is out of the red.
Here is what I did:
1 - Grind around the BOTTOM of antenna mounting hole to remove the powder coat and expose bare metal. I also added a washer at the bottom to improve contact between the connector and the mount.
2 - Grind around the top Teraflex mounting hole to remove the powder coat and expose the bare metal. I added a washer here for more contact.
3 - Grind around the top mounting hole inside the tub to expose bare metal. I added a washer here for more contact.
4 - I don't remember what coax brand I had used, but I replaced it with a Firestik branded coax.
5 - Once you have connected the coax at the antenna and run it up front, use a continuity tester with a resistance readout and check the continuity between the coax's outer connecter and vehicle ground. You should have continuity. My resistance was less than 1 ohm.
6 - Even with this setup I still had problems with the 2 foot Firestick. I got the results above with the 3 foot antenna. I'm tempted to try a 4 foot one to see if I can get it lower, but the current results are acceptable for fairly short range communication.
BTW, when you tune the Firestik, put the cap back on each time. The cap, even though it is plastic, changes the effective length of the antenna.
When I spoke with Firestik, they basically told me to do everything you can to insure a good ground between the antenna connector on the antenna side, the mount and the vehicle body.