Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

So many add ons! What to buy?

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  SINISTERDEXTER 
#1 ·
Hey guys and gals, I am new to the Jeep world. I bought a 1988 Wrangler-hard top metal doors last week as a toy and love it so much I will be selling my daily driver! I am looking at all the accesories available for it and am a bit overwhelmed. What are must have items to get and what is not worth my money?

Best soft top/covers to keep the rain off the instrument panel? Best waterproof seatcovers? Best soft doors? Best coating to protect the tub after I take the carpet out?

And what is the best/easiest way to take the heavy as heck top off with out busting the glass?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I made a home made garage hoist to safely get the top off without damaging it. Even seen people use old swing-sets A-frame as a hoist. I used climbing rope, I have seen lots of people use ratchet straps.

Personally I would keep your dd if you can that way when your jeep is "in service" you won't be wrenching till the wee hours of the morning getting it ready to take you to work.

I have full steel doors and bought a used set of half doors. The full soft doors look too floppy for me. From what I gather you can use Tj uppers with the halfies if you have some fab skills. (it will work with your hard top then)

Do you have the sport roll bar or the family bar? Mine dash barely gets wet in the rain with a safari top (pavement ends brand) as long as the rain isn't horizontal. I have the family bar and my kids love the coverage of the safari to keep the sun out of their eyes. (worst thing about it is its made in China, I was trying to keep made in China off my jeep) :)

#4 ·
You should check every fluid, mount, zerk, and make sure all your maintenance is good. Check your vin# for recalls. Buy a Chilton's or Hayne's service book. Those are what you want to put money towards if you are looking to make it a DD. The accessories are no good to you if your gearbox is dry or you have a milkshake in your axles.

I've driven my YJ daily for almost 10 years and i have the mindset that if I haven't personally performed the service, then it probably hasn't been done or it's been too long. And my YJ hasn't skipped a beat (except when the water pump puked on me). It's fun getting to know your YJ through maintenance. Bolt by bolt it becomes yours. Have fun, and wave back!

#10 ·
I am waiting on my haynes manual to get here, I am planning on doing the fine tooth comb inspect and replace myself too, starting with all the vitals you mentioned.

I went ahead and got replacement lenses and headlamps to improve visibility but have yet to get them installed. (Why is is work always picks up when you have a new toy? Lol)

ShayneO, I would love that document too, I will pm you with my email addy.

Thanks all!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.