Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (https://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   RAM mount ball to factory dash screw? (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/ram-mount-ball-to-factory-dash-screw-1416210.html)

Chrixxer 09-10-2015 03:36 AM

RAM mount ball to factory dash screw?

I've fallen in love with RAM mounts - won't fly without a yoke mount holding my iPad (ForeFlight) just so...

Want something similar in the YJ, for using an iPhone for GPS. Thinking about approximating something like Dan's setup, only instead of using the grab bar mount (no exposed bolts for that on the YJ, and I don't want to drill or irreparably modify the interior), what I'd like to do is use the same RAM ball, but instead of using the 8mm bolts, reuse one of the Wrangler's dash screws (blue arrows) (or go to Home Depot and find a longer screw with a smaller diameter head that matches the size / pitch of the threads), and use the RAM ball + screw in place of the existing screw. Then add a small RAM double-ended arm and one of their universal phone mounts with the 1" ball.

Any reason why that wouldn't work? (From a previous encounter with ham-fisted radio thieves, I happen to have three "spice" colored center dash plastic pieces, so even if I screw up one, I should be left with an intact dash...)

Thanks!

Chrixxer 09-10-2015 03:38 AM

(Probably the screw above the 4WD indicator... In any case not one of the three in the middle part of the trim piece, between the radio/climate controls and the gauges - those are set in holes and I don't think they'd clear the ball. FYI.)

dman2721 09-10-2015 08:30 AM

totally off topic -- sorry -- what's the lever attached to the shifter, HAND CLUTCH?

Also -- nicely done accessory switches!!

cad 09-10-2015 09:25 AM

if you just weld a piece of metal to the ball mount the use a die to cut threads to the size of the dash screws.. then it will just screw right in and no damage..

Chrixxer 09-10-2015 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cad (Post 21323602)
if you just weld a piece of metal to the ball mount the use a die to cut threads to the size of the dash screws.. then it will just screw right in and no damage..

That right there sounds like an awesome idea ... And totally above my mechanical abilities! :) I'm more of a "assemble the right pieces through online ordering and repeated late night trips to Home Depot, and get it close enough for gov't work" kinda guy. :)

Chrixxer 09-10-2015 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dman2721 (Post 21322642)
totally off topic -- sorry -- what's the lever attached to the shifter, HAND CLUTCH?

Also -- nicely done accessory switches!!

Not my Jeep, sadly, just an image I found online that had the screws I was talking about highlighted.

toddster8 09-10-2015 07:29 PM

I think those screws are a little small to support the torque of devices when going over bumps. I've been using the suction cup mount on the windshield for a year and it has only fallen off once or twice. Doesn't block driving views (line of sight to the hood).

I think probably the RAM surface mount is what you need - distribute the load over six screws instead of one. Use machine screws with lock nuts, not just sheet metal screws. I'm going to have to do something like this in the Beemer - can't find ANYPLACE that gives heads-up views but doesn't block something crucial. (iPhone 4 was fine, but the 6+ is just too darned big.)

Chrixxer 09-10-2015 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toddster8 (Post 21334594)
I think those screws are a little small to support the torque of devices when going over bumps. I've been using the suction cup mount on the windshield for a year and it has only fallen off once or twice. Doesn't block driving views (line of sight to the hood).

Thought about that, but here in the People's Democratic Republic of California, it's illegal to use a windshield mount anywhere outside of a few square inches at the lower left, or lower right, corner of the windshield. With the windows (let alone doors) removed, I'd be too deathly afraid of My Life (a/k/a my smartphone) falling out of the Jeep.

What could happen if that screw (which, by the way, I intend to replace with a longer one, that will mate with the existing threaded hole) can't support the torque? Screw breaks? Or takes the hole with it? Or ...?

Quote:

I think probably the RAM surface mount is what you need - distribute the load over six screws instead of one. Use machine screws with lock nuts, not just sheet metal screws. I'm going to have to do something like this in the Beemer - can't find ANYPLACE that gives heads-up views but doesn't block something crucial. (iPhone 4 was fine, but the 6+ is just too darned big.)
I don't like drilling holes when I can help it... Probably comes from having a rare Porsche, and getting dragged to Concours d'Elegance events as a kid. So a surface mount is a non-starter. I've seen the 1" ball mounted using pretty anemic screws in motorcycle applications, so there's gotta be something I can slip a ball mount into / onto ... Maybe remove the ashtray? (Never use it.)

cad 09-13-2015 03:33 AM

a piece of allthread from home depot.. that will screw into the dash put a nut on the all thread to hold the ball mount job done and good enough for govt work..

Chrixxer 09-13-2015 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cad (Post 21373354)
a piece of allthread from home depot.. that will screw into the dash put a nut on the all thread to hold the ball mount job done and good enough for govt work..

Why go through all that when I can (did) just run a 1 3/4" #8 sheet metal screw through the ball mount, attaching the ball mount directly to the dash? https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...Wgzc05mYm91Qjg

IRQ 09-17-2015 09:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This how I set mine up

Ram to Garmin 17mm ball adapter from gpsbikemount.com (only option for nuvi 3597) as it uses a magnetic mount

Ram iPhone 6 Plus mount

Ram-b-238
Ram-b-231zu
Ram-b-201u-c

Can also be rotated up with the mirror, if you want it out of sight

Chrixxer 09-23-2015 06:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks good, but I've been told that arrangement would be illegal in the People's Democratic Republic of California - if it's above the level of the dashboard itself, it has to be mounted in a constrained area on the lower left, or lower right, corner of the windshield. But otherwise looks slick! :)

Here's my arrangement (I should have gone with the 'tray' but I wanted something more universal, since I seem to change phones every year or so).