Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (https://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Tires & Wheels (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/)
-   -   Please help a new wrangler owner! (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/please-help-a-new-wrangler-owner-1466329.html)

scgebo 10-18-2015 03:51 PM

Please help a new wrangler owner!

Hi guys, brand new to the forum here, just picked up my first wrangler, a 2014 JKU sport. Got a great deal on it with only 8k miles, but I can't stand the tiny 29" tires on the ugly steel wheels.

I've been doing a bunch of research and I think I'm leaning towards going to 32" tires on wheels with 4" backspace and no lift for now. This should be good without rubbing, correct?

Also, I'm pretty new to buying tires and wheels and all of the numbers have me incredibly confused. Can somebody verify that this setup will work for me please?

These wheels:
Pro Comp Alloy Wheels - Series 7069, 16x8 with 5 on 5 Bolt Pattern - Flat Black - Fits 2007 to 2016 JK Wrangler, Rubicon and Unlimited - 4WD.com

With these tires:
BF Goodrich Tires - LT285/75R16, All-Terrain T/A KO2 | 4WD.com

Also, are the pro comp wheels any good for the money? They won't be seeing any heavy off road use, just dirt/fire roads and the New England winters.

Thanks in advance!

briand29 10-18-2015 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scgebo (Post 22014257)
Hi guys, brand new to the forum here, just picked up my first wrangler, a 2014 JKU sport. Got a great deal on it with only 8k miles, but I can't stand the tiny 29" tires on the ugly steel wheels.

I've been doing a bunch of research and I think I'm leaning towards going to 32" tires on wheels with 4" backspace and no lift for now. This should be good without rubbing, correct?

Also, I'm pretty new to buying tires and wheels and all of the numbers have me incredibly confused. Can somebody verify that this setup will work for me please?

These wheels:
Pro Comp Alloy Wheels - Series 7069, 16x8 with 5 on 5 Bolt Pattern - Flat Black - Fits 2007 to 2016 JK Wrangler, Rubicon and Unlimited - 4WD.com

With these tires:
BF Goodrich Tires - LT285/75R16, All-Terrain T/A KO2 | 4WD.com

Also, are the pro comp wheels any good for the money? They won't be seeing any heavy off road use, just dirt/fire roads and the New England winters.

Thanks in advance!

Hi scgebo,

You should be set with the wheel/tire combo. You might get some slight rubbing on the plastic air dam, I really wouldn't consider that rubbing.

I have a set of black Pro Comps on my work truck and the finish has held up great. The wheels are about three years old and they still look great. I really like that Pro Comp uses a plastic center cap. The cheap metal cap on on my MT Classic II's rusted out in about a year. No issues with the plastic cap.

I have the exact same BFG tires on my 2016 Rubicon and absolutely love them. The factory Rubicon MTs have a more aggressive look, but the AT's are a much better tire for a daily driver.

I almost went with the 7069's but decided to go with the Level 8 Bully Pros because I really liked the outer ring to protect the finish. 7069's are a great "classic Jeep" look.

Roadkinglsu 10-22-2015 12:38 AM

I just installed(today actually) Cooper ST Maxx LT295/70R17's on Mamba(cheap wheels, I know but I liked the look) on my 2015 Sahara Unlimited with no lift(yet! OME 2.5" coming this week) and honestly if I hadn't already ordered the lift, I probably would not lift it. Drove it 250 miles today with no rubbing or any issues. The only thing I did was drop the air pressure from 60 that the shop put in it down to 40. I may still play with it at 35 later but it rides great with the pressure at 40.

WXman 10-22-2015 10:28 AM

33s will fit stock JKs fine, but to me it still looks "squatty" and terrible. It will be much better looking from a proportional standpoint if you lift it some. At least a couple inches.

jumplikeawillys 10-22-2015 11:09 PM

I just got those same pro comp wheels with km2's a couple weeks ago. I like the pro comps a lot. There wasn't a ton out there for 16's that I liked. I'm sure the ko's will be fine for new England winters. I'll find out how the km's are soon enough. Hopefully this winter is not as bad as last winter. I don't want to the see the south Boston snow pile last into July again

Hckarawan 10-23-2015 12:22 PM

Wrangler Wheels

Not sure if you are interested but figured Id throw this out there.
I have a set of 5 Monster II 18 inch wheels with 33 inch Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ tires. Only 2000 miles. Was my sons jeep but I just sold and put back original wheels. I bought these in May at Fortec and they only have 2000 miles on them, rated for 40-50,000. I just listed on Craigs List broward. Might be worth looking at, willing to make a deal on them.
thanks