Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (https://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Radiator drain plug (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/radiator-drain-plug-1500617.html)

Zarni 11-15-2015 09:43 PM

Radiator drain plug
 
I just replaced my cracked radiator with a Champion 2 row aluminum. After filling it with distilled water and running it to normal operating temp to check for leaks (and thankfully finding none) I drained the radiator.

The problem is that the drain opens to the rear and not straight down. Removing the drain cock causes the fluid to shoot out all over the CA, axle and track bar. It's not a huge deal with just water but draining coolant all over the place seems horrible.

Here is the plug that came with the radiator ..

http://sankyo-rad.com/wp/wp-content/...10/61106_3.jpg

I'm finding very little info around about a replacement. Has anyone replaced theirs with something like this ...
90 drain cock

TJ4Jim 11-15-2015 10:03 PM

If your drain valve is 1/4" NPT you could easily just use a 1/4" brass street 90 to accomplish what you want.

tangofox007 11-15-2015 10:08 PM

Any chance that you could attach a flexible hose to the drain fitting?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarni (Post 22516233)
I'm finding very little info around about a replacement. Has anyone replaced theirs with something like this ...
90 drain cock

You will still have the same problem.

AZrat 11-15-2015 11:18 PM

Lots of radiators used to be this way. Not a big deal to just leave it pointing straight back. When you first open it, just crack it so that coolant doesn't gush out full force. Takes a little longer to drain, but it will minimize the mess.

AZrat 11-15-2015 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarni (Post 22516233)
I just replaced my cracked radiator with a Champion 2 row aluminum. After filling it with distilled water and running it to normal operating temp to check for leaks (and thankfully finding none) I drained the radiator.

The problem is that the drain opens to the rear and not straight down. Removing the drain cock causes the fluid to shoot out all over the CA, axle and track bar. It's not a huge deal with just water but draining coolant all over the place seems horrible.

Here is the plug that came with the radiator ..

http://sankyo-rad.com/wp/wp-content/...10/61106_3.jpg

Hey, it just occurred to me, you do know that you don't remove the drain cock to drain the radiator, right? You grab those two ears sticking out and turn the inner section CLOCKWISE. which causes it to work like a faucet.

Zarni 11-16-2015 12:07 AM

I thought that's how it should work but turning it clockwise just tightens the piece in the radiator. And I don't quite understand how it lets fluid through since the base is closed on the end inserted into the radiator.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

VARIABLE9 11-16-2015 12:09 AM

As mentioned above, just get some flexible hose and slip it on whenever you change fluids.

AZrat 11-16-2015 12:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Perhaps I'm missing something obvious as well. The picture clearly shows the center section having left handed threads, so that turning it clockwise will unscrew the center section while tightening the base plug. Every one I've ever used works that way.

Admittedly, my experience here is limited to Chevys and Fords. I don't think that I've ever looked on my Jeep to see if it's the same, but the picture sure looks like what I'm familiar with. Please let us know if you get to the bottom of this, my curiosity is stirred up.

Edit-
Hey, wait a second! I just look looked at a couple of pictures and refreshed my memory. What I was remembering was partially wrong. On the ones I'm familiar with, the center section does have left handed threads, but you screw it IN to drain. This picture I've attached shows how if you screw it in, it unseats the opening in the hollow center section. It still works like a faucet and you can control how fast it flows by how much you turn it.

Sorry for the bad information- I'll just blame it on almost 50 years worth of mechanical info getting jumbled up in my brain.

AZ01TJ 11-16-2015 09:10 AM

Are you planning on changing the coolant as often as the oil, I don't see what the problem is ? I have the same radiator & I don't plan on draining the coolant but every few years & when I do I'll just pull the lower hose from the radiator, that's the quickest way anyways.

Zarni 11-16-2015 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZrat (Post 22518545)
... but you screw it IN to drain.

I'll pull it out and see if it's just a little stuck. It's harder when it's on and full but I do need one more drain of the water that's in there now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ01TJ (Post 22521313)
Are you planning on changing the coolant as often as the oil, I don't see what the problem is ? I have the same radiator & I don't plan on draining the coolant but every few years & when I do I'll just pull the lower hose from the radiator, that's the quickest way anyways.

Agreed .. but there's a drain plug and I feel the need to use it!

Zarni 11-17-2015 09:45 PM

Just as a follow up to this, the wings on the drain plug are now spinning freely even though the left-handed threads never budged. So, you know, big thumbs up to that stellar design.

The new radiator is in, so along with the new water pump and thermostat I'm not planning on dealing with coolant again any time soon.

wildrnesxperienc 11-17-2015 10:19 PM

I just replaced my 1.5 year old griffin radiator and the draincock faced the same way. The dang thing spewed all over the control arm, steering, my arm, etc just like you say. Big mess. I was replacing it with a mopar radiator so I don't have to worry about that happening again. I would put a 90 degree elbow on it like someone suggests above.

thetalkingmule 01-09-2019 05:35 PM

I'm losing my mind with a leaking petcock in my TJ radiator. Can I simply remove it and thread a brass bolt all the way in to seal it up? Happy to drain it via the lower hose if I need to in the future, I just want to get this damn things to stop dripping.


Believe I have a stock 2001 radiator. Tried to order the appropriate Doorman replacement and Amazon sent something that didn't fit at all.

Jerry Bransford 01-09-2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetalkingmule (Post 34126631)
I'm losing my mind with a leaking petcock in my TJ radiator. Can I simply remove it and thread a brass bolt all the way in to seal it up? Happy to drain it via the lower hose if I need to in the future, I just want to get this damn things to stop dripping.


Believe I have a stock 2001 radiator. Tried to order the appropriate Doorman replacement and Amazon sent something that didn't fit at all.

Did you try wrapping the petcock's threads with plumber's teflon tape to stop the leak?

And replacing that OE Mopar radiator with a Doorman store brand would be a downgrade in terms of its ability to cool.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.