Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (https://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   Fuel tank plastic sump. (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/fuel-tank-plastic-sump-1785753.html)

Pufferking 07-11-2016 03:53 PM

Fuel tank plastic sump.

Pulled my gas tank on my 1992 Jeep Wrangler yesterday because it was leaking gas while running. Took the fuel pump off to also fix my gas gauge problem.
can anyone show/tell me how to mod the warped plastic sump piece so it won't interfere with the fuel sending unit float.

coulnt find where the gas was leaking from but the gasket on the sending unit was brittle and falling apart

Luckymac 07-11-2016 04:27 PM

Wait until DREDnot comes on, maybe later today. He has a good pic of a cheap & simple repair. Some Jeepers remove the slosh baffle, but then the gas gauge fluctuates wildly when the fuel level is low.

I suggest that you leave it in and do the DREDnot repair.

Good Luck, L.M.

MudMagnetYJ 07-11-2016 05:16 PM

For the gas leak, check the hoses. For about 6 or 8' of 3/16" BRAKE line, 2' of 1/4" carburetor hose, and 6' of 5/16" of fuel injection hose, you can replace the two main brake hoses coming off the lines, and the vent line. Mine was rusted out and I had EXACTLY enough brake line left over from replacing all of the lines to replace the vent line to the vacuum canister.

There is a rubber "block" that runs between the frame that protects the fuel hoses. Previous owner thought it was a good idea to run the hose through the frame without that (looks like he drilled holes, I'm not sure if they were already there) and they sliced open.

Check the hard lines too. Mine looked fine so I didn't replace them.

Pufferking 07-11-2016 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckymac (Post 26535313)
Wait until DREDnot comes on, maybe later today. He has a good pic of a cheap & simple repair. Some Jeepers remove the slosh baffle, but then the gas gauge fluctuates wildly when the fuel level is low.

I suggest that you leave it in and do the DREDnot repair.

Good Luck, L.M.

Yea I read about people taking it out and when they make turns they have problem at 1/4 tank of gas so I kinda want to leave it in unless it interfiors with the gas gauge.
Hopefully DREDnot and can post a pic of the fix.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudMagnetYJ (Post 26535969)
For the gas leak, check the hoses. For about 6 or 8' of 3/16" BRAKE line, 2' of 1/4" carburetor hose, and 6' of 5/16" of fuel injection hose, you can replace the two main brake hoses coming off the lines, and the vent line. Mine was rusted out and I had EXACTLY enough brake line left over from replacing all of the lines to replace the vent line to the vacuum canister.

There is a rubber "block" that runs between the frame that protects the fuel hoses. Previous owner thought it was a good idea to run the hose through the frame without that (looks like he drilled holes, I'm not sure if they were already there) and they sliced open.

Check the hard lines too. Mine looked fine so I didn't replace them.

Thanks for the info I am going to check all the lines and replace them with new ones and use some fuel injected hose clamps. My fill hose and fill vent hose where cracked so I am also replacing those

MudMagnetYJ 07-11-2016 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pufferking (Post 26536185)
Thanks for the info I am going to check all the lines and replace them with new ones and use some fuel injected hose clamps. My fill hose and fill vent hose where cracked so I am also replacing those

Mistake, the carburetor hose is 3/16" (fits over the brake line). You need 1/4" FUEL INJECTION hose, 4' of that. It'll replace those vent lines off of the tee going to the rollover valves.

Pufferking 07-11-2016 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudMagnetYJ (Post 26536553)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pufferking (Post 26536185)

Mistake, the carburetor hose is 3/16" (fits over the brake line). You need 1/4" FUEL INJECTION hose, 4' of that. It'll replace those vent lines off of the tee going to the rollover valves.

Mine wrangler is a fuel injected 4.0L engine.

Also I need to buy a new fuel sending gasket mine was cracked and brittle how do I tell if I have a 15 or 20 gallon gas tank or fuel pump.

MudMagnetYJ 07-11-2016 07:15 PM

Is the tank plastic?

Pufferking 07-11-2016 07:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MudMagnetYJ (Post 26537273)
Is the tank plastic?

Yes it is here's a pic of the fuel pump if it helps.

MudMagnetYJ 07-11-2016 11:47 PM

If you have the plastic tank, it is a *20 gallon tank.

This may be confusing, but the ACTUAL capacity is 20 gallons, but Jeep set it up to hold 15 gallons. To change it from 15 to 20 gallons, you remove the vent tube and shorten it. It vapor locks when the fuel rises to it and prevents further filling. Look up the 15 to 20 gallon tank mod on YouTube, there are a few videos. I like Power Addict's.

Pufferking 07-12-2016 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudMagnetYJ (Post 26540857)
If you have the plastic tank, it is a *20 gallon tank.

This may be confusing, but the ACTUAL capacity is 20 gallons, but Jeep set it up to hold 15 gallons. To change it from 15 to 20 gallons, you remove the vent tube and shorten it. It vapor locks when the fuel rises to it and prevents further filling. Look up the 15 to 20 gallon tank mod on YouTube, there are a few videos. I like Power Addict's.

Ok thanks ordered me a new gasket for the sending unit today hopefully I get it soon.
Think the las owner did the mod because while I was looking in the tank I didn't see a plastic tube in there coming from the fill vent

Pufferking 07-14-2016 08:43 AM

Can someone tell me is there a trick to mounting the fuel sending unit back in the tank. It won't sit flush the sending unit sits about 3/4" and I will have to force it down but am Worried I might break something.
Not sure if the top of the gas tank sunk down after I dumped the fuel from the tank.