Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (https://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Builders Corner (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/)
-   -   LTT-MCC Marine Corps Chassis Overland Trailer Build (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/ltt-mcc-marine-corps-chassis-overland-trailer-build-1805625.html)

Hsestes 08-02-2016 07:30 PM

LTT-MCC Marine Corps Chassis Overland Trailer Build

4 Attachment(s)
I am about to embark on a overland trailer build, so thought it time to start a build thread.

I have been itching to get an off road trailer for some time, but could not see pulling the trigger on a manufactured one due to cost and for the features I desired. I looked for a M416 but most I found where in terrible shape or the owner wanted too much. I started looking for a base to start with and came across the M1101 trailers. The M1101 is a great place to start but with its wide tall stance felt it was too big for what I wanted and would dwarf my 2015 Jeep Wrangler. Then I stumbled onto the LTT Chassis which is a stripped version of the M1101 used by the Marine Corps for specialized purposes. Being a former Marine made it all the more fitting to use. I won the trailer from PlanetGov for $825 and spent a day driving to Alabama to pick it up. My LTT is a 1997 built by Raytheon. From what I can tell and have read the frame is the same or similar to Schutt Industries Xventure series.

Hsestes 08-02-2016 07:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
After getting it home, it was time for a good pressure washing.

jadmt 08-02-2016 07:51 PM

ok you officially suck lol. I want you scored big time. nice find and man does that open up some cool possibilities. what is the weight?

Hsestes 08-02-2016 08:23 PM

Weight is at 1145lbs. without load - 4,200 lb. GVWR :-) I will be stripping it down and swapping the axles/wheels for something lighter and that match the jeep, so I should lose about 500lbs there. I plan to keep it at around 2000lb if possible.

Hsestes 08-03-2016 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
During this build I plan to ditch the pintle, brakes, axle and HMMWV wheels/tires - basically start with the frame, and then build up with new lighter weight axle, matching Jeep Wheels, new/longer tongue, storage, and camper design.

Got the center section of support rails stripped off now. Planning to keep the fenders and sides and will build an aluminum base for the flooring.

Hsestes 08-03-2016 09:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Also have my set of matching Jeep wheels/tires ready for the trailer.

Hsestes 08-06-2016 05:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Today's mission was to tackle the axle and get the trailer down to a manageable height and weight. I have heard reports of the M1101 axle and wheels weighing 500+ lbs. After dragging them around today I agree.

First step was to remove the wheels and cut out the brake lines. Then we dropped the axle and removed it.

Hsestes 08-06-2016 05:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have heard that the axle and wheels weigh 500+ lbs. Anybody need a good set of HMMWV wheels/tires, along with a heavyweight trailer axle :-) They are up for grabs!

Hsestes 08-06-2016 05:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Next up was to figure out spacing and measurements to get the trailer lowered so it would ride level with the Jeep and mock up the Timbren Axle-less Suspension. I chose the Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspension System - Straight Spindle Only - 3,500 lbs from eTrailer and will start off running it with a idler hub. At a later date I may go back and add Electric brakes. Mounting these will require some modifications and creation of some steel brackets that can be bolted to the aluminum frame to get the new axles at the correct height. Also, since I am running wide tires, I will be required to run a 2" spacer so the wheel will clear the axle assembly and fender well.

Hsestes 08-07-2016 09:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the tongue stripped down.

KG6SLC 08-12-2016 05:48 PM

Axle question

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hsestes (Post 26865985)
........... Also, since I am running wide tires, I will be required to run a 2" spacer so the wheel will clear the axle assembly and fender well.

I like your project and have been considering one similar to yours but I have a question. On the Timbren website they have the following axle available. Do you still need spacers using this axle or is this not the axle you are using?

3500HD Axle-Less Trailer Suspension

#ASR35HDS01

The 3500HD series Axle-less trailer suspensions are ideal for off-road use. Hangers made from heavy-gage metal support the increased demands of a trailer used on off-road terrain. A softer rubber spring allows for more suspension travel without compromising strength of capacity.
This premium HD Axle-less trailer suspension – designed for off-road use – comes with a long, straight spindle to accommodate wider, off-road tires…for trailers that won’t see much of the pavement. And for added braking power, a brake flange is included, giving you the option to install brakes.

KG6SLC aka Eugene

Hsestes 08-14-2016 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KG6SLC (Post 26946673)
I like your project and have been considering one similar to yours but I have a question. On the Timbren website they have the following axle available. Do you still need spacers using this axle or is this not the axle you are using?

3500HD Axle-Less Trailer Suspension

#ASR35HDS01

The 3500HD series Axle-less trailer suspensions are ideal for off-road use. Hangers made from heavy-gage metal support the increased demands of a trailer used on off-road terrain. A softer rubber spring allows for more suspension travel without compromising strength of capacity.
This premium HD Axle-less trailer suspension – designed for off-road use – comes with a long, straight spindle to accommodate wider, off-road tires…for trailers that won’t see much of the pavement. And for added braking power, a brake flange is included, giving you the option to install brakes.

KG6SLC aka Eugene

This is what I am running - ASR3500S05, but you could use that one, but I couldn't find a hub for that axle/spindle set that had a 5x5 bolt pattern similar to the Jeep. I even emailed/called etrailer.com about it. I had read another build on expeditionportal.com that the 4" lift was too much for the ride height on this trailer. The trailer already sits very high, and you would have to rework the hangers - which we had to do anyway so you might be able to make it work. We just mounted the tires and I will post some pics.

**EDIT*** After posting those pics and looking at the hangers, I probably could have got those axles with a 4" drop and made the hangers shorter.... Oh well - all bolted/welding on now....

Hsestes 08-14-2016 03:55 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Progess - we got the Timbren Axles mounted. A steel structure was made to drop the the axles to the correct height and are bolted to the aluminum frame. The Timbren axles are bolted and welded to the steel as well. What these pictures don't show is the 2" steel bar that runs between each axle. I will post more pics to show that, and get some measurements once the wheels are attached to give everyone an idea of the ground clearance.

Hsestes 08-14-2016 03:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Today we got the toe set on the axles spindles, installed the wheel spacers on and got the wheels bolted up! Very happy with the stance on the trailer.

Hsestes 08-14-2016 03:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
With the wheels on, got the Jeep down to get some measurements on tongue length and height.

Hsestes 08-14-2016 04:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
You may have also noticed we got the flooring down. Nice shiny sheet of aluminum...

Hsestes 08-15-2016 10:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Today my buddy started welding the aluminum side walls. One down! Two more to go... These will get covered with aluminum skin as well.

Hsestes 08-29-2016 09:59 PM

5 Attachment(s)
And today we got the top on!!!! (at least a mock up - not bolted down yet...) I did not want a RTT because of the hassle involved in setup/teardown, etc, etc.... So I scored this Gemtop Workmaster camper top to go on the trailer for $400!!

So you may ask why not open the doors to the back.... Well, I have a aluminum tool/storage box planned for the rear area, and in the front will have a fold down deck/porch that when lowered down will sit on top of a portion of the tongue with the tongue providing the support for it.

We still have to finish the tongue, bolt everything together, install the leveling jacks, tint the windows, add a few more bolt on pieces and then off to get her painted....

Hsestes 10-04-2016 11:30 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Aluminum primed...

Hsestes 10-04-2016 11:32 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Trailer Primed.... a little red wagon :-)

Lou E 10-09-2016 08:44 AM

That looks really good, very nice work, and I like the idea of the doors facing the front leaving the back free for all sorts of stuff.

Hsestes 10-14-2016 09:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
All Painted....

Hsestes 10-14-2016 09:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Paint finished, and masking removed!!!:bop:
Save

Hsestes 04-24-2017 09:49 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here is an update to the trailer. This is 98% completed.

Hsestes 04-24-2017 09:51 AM

5 Attachment(s)
More pics

Hsestes 04-24-2017 08:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
With the "front porch" installed :-)

Airslot 04-24-2017 09:40 PM

Very nice. Any idea what your weight is or will be when finished?

Hsestes 04-28-2017 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airslot (Post 29886362)
Very nice. Any idea what your weight is or will be when finished?

not really, I need to run it down to the truckstop one day and get it weighed... Once I do, I will report back.

Airslot 04-28-2017 11:01 PM

Just curious.

Hafaday 04-29-2017 08:28 AM

:thumb: