Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (https://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   AW4 swap (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/aw4-swap-1805657.html)

dante2 08-02-2016 09:40 PM

AW4 swap

1 Attachment(s)
I finished up the AW4 swap a few weeks ago and all in all not very difficult. I used a 94 cherokee as the donor and stripped it of every part I thought I would need. I read through the Renix AW4 swap on Stu's site numerous times before I started. I used that for the parts list that I would need but I pulled the majority of the wiring harness for less problems later. I found an auto brake pedal to complete the swap.

The swap is easy as everything bolts right up to the 4.0. Clocking the transfer case was not hard but having a drill press would have made it easier. I still had vibrations at 35-40 mph so I had to put the TC drop back in which led to having to shorten the DS 1.25". The most difficult part for me was the cooler lines. I didn't like where the cherokee hard lines ran so I made my own lines. Getting the correct fittings on the web was the fun part having ordered some that didn't work together without leaking initially.

As far as the wiring of the TCU to the YJ harness I used the wiring diagram attached without any issues ( I can't find it again online to give credit where it is due). The CPS from the donor was bad but mine was a match and it fired right up. I have no issues shifting automatically when put in drive. I am running about 1500rpm @ 45 and 2400rpm @ 65 with 4.10's and 31's.

I bought a new AW4 trans mount and drilled holes in the skidplate to mount it. For anyone wanting to do this swap I would suggest pulling the YJ transfer case bracket as the cherokee is upside down and will not work. Also don't forget the reinforcing ring that goes between the flexplate and the torque converter ( I am very fast at pulling the tranny out now due to this).

If you have been thinking about swapping to an auto this is not a very hard swap takes about 4-5 days total for someone that is fairly mechanically inclined.

Nubby55 08-03-2016 03:37 AM

Thanks for the wright up, I have an auto and on a off road car I wouldn't trade it for 5 sick shifts.

bad impulse 08-03-2016 11:57 AM

Feels pretty weird not having to shift gears, huh? I did this swap to my 93 about 6 months ago and I love it! I loved the 5 speed as well but I spend way too much time in stop and (little) go traffic so my left leg loves the aw4 :)
Were you successful wiring the neutral safety and backup light switch? I ran a wire from the black plug pin #2 to the switch and even though I'm confident I have it wired correctly at the switch, it runs rough and crappy when I connect the wire. I think I need to have a wire spliced in from the computer. I'll have to look at my notes to see which pin I'm thinking but I'm hoping you may be able to tell me what I've missed.

bad impulse 08-03-2016 01:50 PM

Time flies! I pulled out my notes and even though it seems like I just did this swap, it's actually been quite a while. Anyway, after looking at my notes, I'm pretty sure I see what I need to do to connect the neutral safety switch. I'm on vac. next week so I'll see if I can get it hooked up.
Congratulations on your successful swap! I didn't find it to be a very difficult job either but it's a big job and very rewarding to complete :)

dante2 08-03-2016 08:27 PM

bad impulse check the black pin B in the diagram it should connect to pin 30 on the PCM.
I had no issues with the NSS or the backup lights actually got lucky and the first of 2 wires (purple and white) for the back up lights was the right one. If you have any questions you can pm me if you need to.