Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (https://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JL Wrangler General Discussion (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f714/)
-   -   ordering a 2018 JLU Rubicon... (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f714/ordering-a-2018-jlu-rubicon-2136537.html)

coffeerequired 09-11-2017 12:15 PM

ordering a 2018 JLU Rubicon...

1st real post , so go easy on me...

So I have started the quest to order a 2018 JLU Rubicon. Not sure when that is technically possible yet at the dealership but went thru the list (& maybe I'll come back to reality once I see the price but you have to start somewhere right?)

Engine
* ERC 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upgrade with ESS
or
* EXJ 3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel Engine with ESS G3

Q: will ordering the diesel delay the order? how long (any best guesses/estimates)?

Transmission
* DEM - 6-Speed RWD Manual Transmission
or
* DFT - 8-Speed Auto 850RE Transmission (Make)
or
* DFV - 8 Speed Auto 8HP75 Transmission (Buy-Germany)

Q: what is Buy-Germany? Maybe required for the diesel?

Color:
* PW7 - Bright White Clear Coat
* maybe Blue (mentioned)

Seats:
* Cloth I think... but which one? (might have the top off ALOT + seatcovers... so why in the world would you put leather on this?)

Packages:
* AAN - Technology Group
* AD6 - LED Lighting Group
* ADC - Convenience Group
* ADH - Heavy Duty Electrical Group
* AEK - Electronic Infotainment Systems Group
* AST - Steel Bumper Group ?
* AJ1 - Safety Group

Q: need to come up with details on these packages... as some of these single options may fall off if I take the package.

Interior Options
* HAA - Air Conditioning
* RC4 - Alpine Premium Audio System
* RFP - Apple CarPlay
* XWX - Jeep Trail Rated Kit

Q: AC is not standard? or is upgraded one? + What is a Jeep Trail Rated Kit?

Exterior Options:
* MC6 - Steel Font Bumper
* MRK - Tubular Side Steps
* GCD - Deep Tint Sunscreen Windows

Q: factory tint? I will want it tinted but what is legal in California? Is it worth it to have the dealer do it / throw it in? (aka covered under factory warranty?)

Roof/Top Options:
* HT3 - Body Color 3-Piece Hard Top

Wheels/Tires:
* TDB or
* TRR - 244/70R18 All-Terrain Tires
* WPT - 18" x 7.5" Tech Gray Polished Face Wheels

Q: Go big or go home right? But do these come standard on the Rubicon?

Other Options:
* GXD - Remote Proximity Keyless Entry

::::
Future mods for a 2018 JLU Rubicon
::::
My primary use: Just living the dream & getting around in style in a convertible SUV. Mainly around the beach cities in San Diego/OC/LA while carrying my stuff. (laptop, surfboards, bicycles, people, etc. etc.) Would I drive this into Mexico? Maybe... (would need to think about that + talk to my insurance agent)

So I am creating a running list personalized to me in order that is suggested & vetted by these forums... Yes I'm new but I do know how to read the other threads, which I will do. ;)

The list:

1) lock box (big enough to hold a briefcase/laptop)
2) lock boxes under the front seats
3) Tuffy hood lock *
4) 6' stainless steel chain locked to right seat runner *
5) tow package? (no factory option or is it standard / which aftermarket options?)
6) you suggest anything I should consider adding to the list and/or a model of an aftermarket part to strong consider. (it's the purpose of this post/list)

* = suggested by another (under consideration)
remember this is for a 2018 JLU Rubicon, will it fit?

cheers

TheGreatGrapeApe 09-11-2017 01:07 PM

Diesel doesn't come 'til next April.

'Buy Germany' is an internal note to FCA and means the 8HP75 will be made by ZF in Germany and needs to be acquired individually, while the 8HP50 is made by FCA under license at their plant in North America as the 850RE, therefore "Make".
Yes 8HP75 is likely only for diesel, but it would be nice if you can option it with another engine for future upgrades/swaps.

Rubicon gets 17" rims not 18".

turnbull 09-11-2017 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeerequired (Post 31335353)
Q: AC is not standard? or is upgraded one? + What is a Jeep Trail Rated Kit?

A/C is not standard on some trims of the JK, so I imagine the same will hold true for the JL.

As for the Jeep Trail Rated Kit, I found this in the "JL Order Bank details hit the Web, some interesting tidbits..." thread:

"XWX came as part of my 2017 Recon. It is a vehicle recovery bag that says Jeep on it. It has a strap, gloves and some shackles."

Quote:

Q: Go big or go home right? But do these come standard on the Rubicon?

Go big or go home doesn't apply to wheels. There is no advantage to having bigger wheels on a Wrangler. More rotational mass means less power to the wheels (not significant but still), and more importantly, less tire profile means you are more likely to damage the wheels offroad. I've never understood why they offer big wheels on SUVs.

Quote:

5) tow package? (no factory option or is it standard / which aftermarket options?)

The list you posted isn't all inclusive, which is probably why there is no tow package option. Spy shots have shown JLs both with and without tow packages. It will most likely be an option. It doesn't make since for it to be a standard offering.

That being said, I have heard it is much cheaper to purchase an aftermarket tow kit than to purchase it from the factory.

bcarr 09-15-2017 03:08 PM

Get it the way you wont it, dont regret it later, I agree on the leather, i would pass.