Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (https://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Tires & Wheels (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/)
-   -   Snow/Ice tires (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/snow-ice-tires-2237905.html)

LilBeast 02-22-2018 05:01 PM

Snow/Ice tires

Hello! Little late but we get a lot of snow and ice, I switched to Blizzaks DMV2 as soon as I bought my Jeep and they have been pretty good. Anyone else find a snow/ice tire they like better?

Shark_13 02-25-2018 03:33 AM

Anything with studs (assuming they are legal in your state)

BillyHW 02-25-2018 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilBeast (Post 32760753)
Hello! Little late but we get a lot of snow and ice, I switched to Blizzaks DMV2 as soon as I bought my Jeep and they have been pretty good. Anyone else find a snow/ice tire they like better?

Those Blizzaks are good. Can't really go wrong with 'em.

RadiumRecon 02-25-2018 10:26 AM

I have the DMV2's as well and agree they are really good. I got them as part of a winter wheel/tire package 'deal' at the dealership when I bought the jeep. On my previous FJ, I used Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 SUV's, which were studded. They were great tires as well.

huaraz 02-25-2018 10:09 PM

One decision would be whether to go with Light Truck tires like the Blizzak W965 instead. Deeper tread and stronger sidewall will have advantages if you go off pavement into mixed conditions snow/slush/mud/rock. However, they cost more, are heavier, not sure if they would be much louder, may not handle as nice on pavement. I would also like to know if the rubber compound on Light Trucks winter tires is difference, perhaps less soft than a standard winter rubber.

The other decision point is whether to go with studs. In about 2% of driving situations I wish I had studs Ė those are typically the very scary situations where I reflect and say: next time Iím getting studs, donít care if they are not needed for the other 98% of the time.

I have my mind set next winter on Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT 2 Studded.p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120%; }a:link { }

LilBeast 02-25-2018 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadiumRecon (Post 32782162)
I have the DMV2's as well and agree they are really good. I got them as part of a winter wheel/tire package 'deal' at the dealership when I bought the jeep. On my previous FJ, I used Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 SUV's, which were studded. They were great tires as well.

Do you have a preference? What do your Winterís look like? Where I am in NH this year I think has seen more ice than snow. Which has had me questioning my non studded choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RadiumRecon 02-26-2018 12:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LilBeast (Post 32787610)
Do you have a preference? What do your Winterís look like? Where I am in NH this year I think has seen more ice than snow. Which has had me questioning my non studded choice.

While they're both great tires, I'd say the Hakkapeliittas would slightly edge out the Blizzak's for icy/packed snow road conditions. The studs provide an extra measure of traction, but you do put up with some road noise on bare pavement; especially at lower speeds. As well, Nokians seem to top every winter tire test I've seen. My winters are the stock jeep steelies in black.

LilBeast 02-26-2018 01:04 AM

Thank you! I got lucky you have had both and could compare it for me. That will be my next snow tire...appreciated since I come leave work at midnight and the roads havenít been touched.

terpsmandan 03-01-2018 11:38 AM

Also running Hakkapeliittas on her 2015 JKUR. They have a 285-70-17 D rated snow tire, the LT2. I have not seen anyone offer a larger snow tire. They go up to a 34" (315-70-17). My second set of Nokians on Jeep. Love them.

HK_Runner 03-08-2018 09:37 AM

If icy and consistently snow-packed as well, studs are good. We cannot use studs here in Colorado since the roads are rarely snow-packed. I find the Blizzaks to be the best. I have used the Generals, Michelins, and the Nokians but over 5 years ago so they may have improved versions now. The Blizzaks do better than the others I have used. I have several vehicles so I now just use Blizzaks on the 4Runner and use it when the roads are really bad, leaving the Jeep/MTRs and the truck at home. I'll probably get one more season out o the Blizzaks, after which I may try the newest version of the Nokians or maybe the Michelins. Overall, I am happy with the Blizzaks but I will say that the DuraTrac is an amazing MT/At hybrid tire and it does really well in the snow. In fact, in deep snow, it outperforms all the other snow tires since its deep lugs dig through the top layers better, and the sipes and soft compound help it grip the road well.

huaraz 03-09-2018 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HK_Runner (Post 32877674)
If icy and consistently snow-packed as well, studs are good. We cannot use studs here in Colorado since the roads are rarely snow-packed. I find the Blizzaks to be the best.

Which Blizzaks do you use? Passenger or Light Truck? I wonder if the compund is softer on the passenger.