Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (https://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   Purpose built front bumper (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/purpose-built-front-bumper-2251458.html)

283 YJ 03-14-2018 08:16 PM

Purpose built front bumper

2 Attachment(s)
The intent here was to lower the winch below the radiator to solve air flow issues for the V8. Wanted to put it in between the frame rails but the steering box prohibits that. Only option I could see was to go forward and down. This is what I came up with.
I built the winch plates first, then played with several ideas for the rest of the bumper arms. I know it won't suit everyone's tastes, but I really like the two square tubes and how the top sets back of the one below it.
And I think I'm going to powder coat the wheels black - until I can buy bigger and better.

agalloch07 03-14-2018 10:22 PM

If you go bigger on tires they are going to hit that bumper. Not trying to bash but heavy bumpers on a jeep is a mistake! Mounting the winch low is a good idea but this takes it to the extreme because you don't want it under water on deep water crossing either, also kills your approach angle.

I like my bumpers simple light weight and tucked up out of the way. I built this bumper for the front of mine and fit's all the needs for a trail jeep and weighs less than 40 pounds.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/39...r-2245658.html

283 YJ 03-15-2018 12:44 AM

I agree with all you say, but my priority was to get the winch out of the way of the radiator. Only other way to do that was to take it off. Not entirely handy when you're stuck. I'm not a rock crawler and never found myself crossing any deep rivers, so was willing to make the compromise. Does seem like "compromise" is the key to just about everything.
And as for tires, should I go bigger, and someday I will, the bumpers get cut off at 90 degrees instead of 45 to make room.

agalloch07 03-15-2018 01:55 AM

My XD9000 don't block much of the radiator but i plan on putting hood louvers on it to try and get under hood temps down for trail riding. It is sitting right in front of my power steering cooler but i think it will still get some air flow over it from the fan pulling air. If i were running a M8274 i'd be a little worried about it blocking the radiator though.

https://s9.postimg.cc/mkv2zzfbj/winch_1.jpg

Luckymac 03-15-2018 11:02 AM

I think everyone's overthinking this.
I'm guessing that the air will swirl around a winch and enter the grill opening with very little restriction.
It's not like a piece of cardboard blocking the grill opening.

I didn't notice any difference in cooling when I installed my winch. There has to be thousands and thousands of winches mounted in the standard position and if there was cooling issues, we'd have hear about it.

I think 283 YJs bumper has an Art Deco look to it. It might not be practical for some off road situations, but he built it for his specific purpose. It looks to match his rear bumper.

Good Luck, L.M.

283 YJ 03-15-2018 01:49 PM

Agalloch, I really like your winch. I suspect that if I had that, and not the oversized antiquated winch I have, I wouldn't have made some of the decisions I did.
So to that, let me explain as briefly as possible, how I arrived at the decisions I made. And keep in mind that growing up in the 60's may well have influenced my decision making process.
When I got my Jeep, it had the V8 installed, with the BeCool radiator, no shroud and the original mid 60's radiator fan mounted about 7" from the radiator. That is just not going to work. I built a shroud and installed a SS flex blade fan, and that cured all the low speed heating issues I had. Did not help heat at highway speeds, which would be a function of air flow and/or too small a radiator. I installed the electric fan, which kept my temps steady, but I could hear it running a highway speeds, so something was still wrong.
I pulled the winch and drove for about 5 months with significantly improved results. So now my dilemma, buy a bigger radiator ($$$$), buy a new low profile winch ($$$), or drop the winch (less $$).
I'm a tightass when it comes to $ and I like to build things. I don't cross rivers or rock crawl, so for me the decision was easy.
Like I said, my design would certainly not appeal to everyone, but I like it, and all my issues are solved.
:iamhappy:

283 YJ 03-15-2018 05:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last pic and then I'll leave you guys alone on this. Winch is mounted (with the front plate) and you can see that the radiator is completely free of blockage.

agalloch07 03-15-2018 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 283 YJ (Post 32945810)
Agalloch, I really like your winch. I suspect that if I had that, and not the oversized antiquated winch I have, I wouldn't have made some of the decisions I did.
So to that, let me explain as briefly as possible, how I arrived at the decisions I made. And keep in mind that growing up in the 60's may well have influenced my decision making process.
When I got my Jeep, it had the V8 installed, with the BeCool radiator, no shroud and the original mid 60's radiator fan mounted about 7" from the radiator. That is just not going to work. I built a shroud and installed a SS flex blade fan, and that cured all the low speed heating issues I had. Did not help heat at highway speeds, which would be a function of air flow and/or too small a radiator. I installed the electric fan, which kept my temps steady, but I could hear it running a highway speeds, so something was still wrong.
I pulled the winch and drove for about 5 months with significantly improved results. So now my dilemma, buy a bigger radiator ($$$$), buy a new low profile winch ($$$), or drop the winch (less $$).
I'm a tightass when it comes to $ and I like to build things. I don't cross rivers or rock crawl, so for me the decision was easy.
Like I said, my design would certainly not appeal to everyone, but I like it, and all my issues are solved.
:iamhappy:

Your winch is pretty much the same exact winch as mine the XD9000 and XD9000i use the same motor and gearing the XD9000i just has an integrated solenoid above the spool. The XD9000i has always been the best looking winch but it costs about $200 than the XD9000 so i saved some money and went non integrated. Your XD9000i has a weird looking motor on it though i almost thought it was a 9.5XP motor but it's not. I know i have seen that motor before but i don't remember which winch it came on or if it has been discontinued.

I haven't got to use my winch for recovery yet. But i did have it hooked up to a polaris rzr frame to try to straighten it. We had the RZR hooked to a tree and a Toyota Tundra and i had to stand on the brakes so hard my leg started to hurt lol. And then it started sliding the RZR and the Tundra which surprised me i figured it would pull my jeep first.

But yeah nothing wrong with the XD9000i i love that winch it's a classic.