Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (https://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   Bought a YJ at Auction today (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/bought-a-yj-at-auction-today-2309114.html)

Finnman84 06-09-2018 08:58 PM

Bought a YJ at Auction today

3 Attachment(s)
So I bought a YJ at an auction today. It was abandoned on base so I don't get a key, but on Monday I get the title. I don't intend on trying to start it and drive it home, I'm just going to get a flatbed and pick it up.

This leads me to my question for the forum of how do I get the Jeep into neutral if I don't have the key? Is there an interlock that would prevent me from shifting it into neutral from the transfer case?

Thanks!

ZombiePopper 06-09-2018 09:31 PM

4.0. Good little engine. But missing the throttle body edit- nevermind lol I looked at the pic to quick, looks like the TB is present.
Looks like it already has corner guards, tube fenders, rock sliders, lift- noice!
How's the rear frame rails? And did you turn the motor over by hand?
If its a manual you shouldn't need a key to neutral it (trans or tcase).
If its an auto (which judging by the cooler in the grill: it is.) this is where it gets fun.
Climb under it & pull the shift linkage off the trans. Then manually shift the trans into neutral. (BLOCK THE WHEELS).
However,
The steering will be locked without a key so you can't turn the wheels.
My suggestion- get a locksmith to make you a key.
Yeah it's a little money up front but a lot less hassle.

agalloch07 06-09-2018 10:31 PM

Looks like a 94/95 since it has a dual diaphragm booster, thats a good year YJ they were at their peak.

Finnman84 06-09-2018 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZombiePopper (Post 33670538)
How's the rear frame rails? And did you turn the motor over by hand?

Frame rails had some surface rust but it seemed tightly adhered when I poked at it. I did not think to test if the engine spins, but now that you mention it that would have been a good idea.

I'll call around tomorrow and find a locksmith that replaces ignition cylinders. Hopefully I can get it replaced quickly. I've got 5 days to move it out of the storage lot.

Gottagofast 06-10-2018 09:19 AM

The transfer case can be shifted to neutral without a key...

Dusty Duster 06-14-2018 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finnman84 (Post 33671194)
Frame rails had some surface rust but it seemed tightly adhered when I poked at it. I did not think to test if the engine spins, but now that you mention it that would have been a good idea.

I'll call around tomorrow and find a locksmith that replaces ignition cylinders. Hopefully I can get it replaced quickly. I've got 5 days to move it out of the storage lot.

No replacement - they can make a new key for the ignition already in there.

Bangler 06-15-2018 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finnman84 (Post 33671194)

if the locksmith can't make a key for it, take the vin# to a local dealership and haven them cut one. Or drill out the lock cylinder for now and start it with a flat head. When you get it home, buy a $30 steering wheel puller kit and replace the key lock cylinder. Fairly easy straight forward process, the key should be the least of your worries!

Finnman84 06-26-2018 03:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So update. I was contacted by a man who I outbid at the auction. He wanted to buy the Jeep off me claiming he wants an automatic. I told him I was intending on daily driving the Jeep so he offered to trade me his running 94' YJ 2.5L 5 speed with full doors, hard top, and bikini top.

I accepted the trade on the condition that I get to keep the tube doors that were inside my auction Jeep and that he deliver his Jeep to me on his way to remove the auction Jeep from it's lot.

It needs some work but so did the other Jeep.

Thank you all for your advice!

UPStrades 06-26-2018 04:07 PM

It's all about what makes you happy but personally I would've kept the 4.0

Sorry if this is a duplicate post.

ZombiePopper 06-26-2018 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPStrades (Post 33779193)
It's all about what makes you happy but personally I would've kept the 4.0

Sorry if this is a duplicate post.

Agreed. If that's the best deal for ya, that's all that matters :).
But the 6cyl would've had more value-IF it ran.
Just looking at corner guards (mine cost $700), tube fenders (mine cost $500), rock sliders (mine cost $300) plus the lift that range from $400-$800 or more (dependant on brand of course).
It's good that you at least got to keep the tube doors though.

Gottagofast 06-26-2018 06:53 PM

You got hosed

UPStrades 06-26-2018 07:00 PM

Didn't wanna put it that way which is why I said if it makes him happy then right on. But 4.0 all the way.

Finnman84 06-26-2018 08:29 PM

I get that the 4.0 is desirable, but it's not something I highly valued. I was looking for a running Jeep I can drive 2 miles to work. Also I rather enjoy a manual transmission.

Dral97 06-28-2018 12:53 PM

Preface: As long as you're happy, and I don't want to beat a dying horse.

But, if that auto ran, a 6 cyl auto is a fairly rare bird compared to the relatively abundant dime a dozen 2.5 5 speed.

At the very least, it's likely worth a decent bit more than the one you ended up with (again, if it ran ok).

Good karma coming your way for letting the other guy have his auto.

Luckymac 06-28-2018 01:16 PM

If the OP is happy with the trade, I say he did well.:deadhorse:

It's not always a dollars and cents reason to trade. The guy that got the 6cyl is taking a chance that the Jeep he got might have serious issues. Why was it abandoned? We don't know.
Perhaps he'll join this forum and tell us what he had to do to get it running.

Good Luck, L.M.

Dusty Duster 06-29-2018 10:11 AM

Blue Jeeps are better than red Jeeps. We all know that.

ZombiePopper 06-29-2018 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Duster (Post 33783703)
Blue Jeeps are better than red Jeeps. We all know that.

Then where do silver Jeeps fall in that equation :)

Bangler 06-29-2018 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZombiePopper (Post 33784015)
Then where do silver Jeeps fall in that equation :)

They fall right below white ones! :p