Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Need lift kit advice!!

1K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  SheBotIt4Me 
#1 ·
Hey everyone!
So I’m new to this forum. And I need some input on lifting my 2011 jku unlimited. I’m leaning towards a teraflex 2.5” with bilstein shocks. It’s pricy but I’m assuming it’s worth it. Or just a teraflex BB? I’ve read that the coil springs with teraflex are pretty stiff so they stiffen your ride. Also wondering if any of you have a teraflex lift, if it improved the ride at all. I also don’t do any hardcore wheeling, more weekend warrior type. Help a girl out! Lol

#2 ·
Hey Ban! Welcome to the forum. Teraflex makes a really good product. I don't use their springs, but have some other TF components. I think springs, regardless of brand, are going to give a better ride over a BB. Bilsteins will also help with a smooth ride. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum! We are here to help any way we can!

I would go with the coil springs. The spacers will keep you on the stock coils and they are by far the best. The TF coils are nice. They are a linear rate coil. The Bilstein 5100's are normally on the stiffer side. We recommend the Rancho 9000XL's. I like them because the are fully adjustable. So, you can dial in the ride to what YOU like. We have put together a package deal as well with some of the other items that are needed with this setup, all in one spot!
https://www.krawloff-road.com/product_p/kjeeper10.htm

If there is anything we can do or if you have any questions, feel free to PM, email, or call us at anytime!

-Jason

#6 ·
The ride is pretty stiff with the coils at first but gradually the ride quality will improve over time. The spacer will maintain that stiff ride and it decreases the ride quality. This suspension is perfect for people who are weekend warriors. I run a 33 inch tire with this set up, I was worried that there would be too much wheel well space but the outcome was more than pleasing as far as looks and ride quality.

#9 ·
I don't really know where you're coming from with either of your posts above.

New coils can be stiffer or softer than stock. Depends on the coil. Most aftermarket coils are probably going to be stiffer than stock.

The budget boost (spacer lift) just sticks a spacer on the OEM coils, so other than changing the steering geometry and pinion angles slightly, it should maintain the closest to stock ride quality.

With either lift (spacer or coil), you'll change the steering geometry and pinion angles. Whether those things change enough that they need to be corrected depends on how much lift you put on, and to some extent your individual Jeep. Lots of people run geometry correction brackets to get their castor numbers back into spec. Others run adjustable lower front control arms. Some people run nothing at all.

I think the general consensus is that you can get by with doing nothing up to around 2 or 2 1/2" of lift. After that, you may need geometry brackets or adjustable lower front control arms.

#7 ·
You won't get your final result until you pick the tires and wheels you want. A spacer lift is just that - spacers that move the springs lower. If you like the ride quality you have, it will be the same. You can even get shock extensions and keep your stock shocks.

Once you put a bigger tire on though, suddenly you have a lot of extra mass on each corner moving up and down. A spring that might have felt too stiff with a stick tire might be 'just right' with a larger/heavier tire. Most 2.5" kits are going to be targeted at someone running a 35" tire.

I don't like spacer kits myself... they are marginally cheaper, but the work to install them is about the same. But, they can get your started on a budget.

Terra is popular, the Mopar 2 kit is popular, the AEV kit is popular. I would say the AEV (I've had 2 of those 3 above) was the most notable change in ride because they use a multi-rate spring, while the Mopar has a nice feel to it and the Fox shocks that come with it are fairly beefy. If I do it again... I'll probably go back to AEV... for the springs anyway...

#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.