Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (https://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   power, but no crank. (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/power-but-no-crank-2354577.html)

Corlauv 02-08-2019 08:53 PM

power, but no crank.

Hey guys, I just got electrical power in my jeep, I know there is power to the starter because I replaced it and the multimeter says it is getting power. I also just replaced the ECM. I do have the gas tank out so I'm not sure if it wont crank with that out because of a safety thing or not. Yes, the grounds were all cleaned. I'm at a loss for what could be causing it not to crank???

pc1p 02-08-2019 10:35 PM

Just to clarify, you're saying that the starter has 12V+ but will not crank the engine when you turn the key to "start"?

If so, there are really only a handful of options...

Before checking anything mechanical, ensure all your fuses under the hood and in the cab are good.

1) Do you have a manual trans or automatic? If you have an automatic, you may have a loose or broken park/neutral safety switch. The switch itself may also be bad. To check if the circuit is good, with your auto-trans in Park, remove the Starter relay and check for continuity between ground and terminal #85 (check your FSM or Haynes for more info).

2) If you have a manual transmission or if the PNP (Park/Neutral switch) checks out okay, you may want to check the ignition switch (not the key switch) below the steering column. There is a rod that connects the ignition switch to the key switch (the one you use to start). As these rigs age, the plastic becomes brittle and something the switch itself is damaged internally or the notch where the rod attaches to becomes worn out or damaged.

3) If the above 2 check out fine, you may want to check out your ignition (key) lock. These are known to wear out and have worn tumblers.

4) If no luck, you could have a failed starter SPST relay in the relay box. To check, you can simply swap the starter relay with any of the other relays in the box.

Good luck!

Corlauv 03-18-2019 02:28 PM

No crank, no start

Hey guys, so my my 1992 jeep wrangler yj, which is a 4.0, will not crank or start. Everything in the jeep like the radio, heater, taillights, and dash lights work. But the headlights wont turn on and the engine will not crank. I know my battery is bad, but when I hook it up to a jump starter, everything else works perfectly. So I'm just wondering if my battery is such junk that it wont even try to crank or if there might be something else wrong too. If theres something else wrong, I dont wanna buy a battery and just have it sit around. And no, it's not the ECM, I just replaced it because it was bad.

Corlauv 03-18-2019 02:39 PM

Oh, and I had the starter tested, it's good

MannyN 03-18-2019 03:01 PM

Well, if you hook up a jump battery and everything works just fine and you take off the jump battery and nothing works? Battery caput.......

Corlauv 03-18-2019 07:35 PM

Well I know the battery is bad, but even when I hook up the jump starter,the engine will not crank

Luckymac 03-18-2019 10:05 PM

The first thing to do is install a new battery. That may or may not cure your problem, but there's no sense in attempting to diagnose a problem for a second fault when you have a known greater fault and curing the greater fault might cure the lesser fault.

Post again once you have a new battery installed. Make sure to clean the cables as part of the new battery installation. You can buy a battery terminal cleaning tool when you buy your new battery.
Make sure you have a way to secure the battery in the battery box. (No bungees allowed).

Good Luck, L.M.

Got it at last 03-18-2019 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckymac (Post 34242711)
The first thing to do is install a new battery. That may or may not cure your problem, but there's no sense in attempting to diagnose a problem for a second fault when you have a known greater fault and curing the greater fault might cure the lesser fault.

Post again once you have a new battery installed. Make sure to clean the cables as part of the new battery installation. You can buy a battery terminal cleaning tool when you buy your new battery.
Make sure you have a way to secure the battery in the battery box. (No bungees allowed).

Good Luck, L.M.

LOL, Previously guilty as charged.

Corlauv 03-22-2019 03:14 PM

Hey guys, I got a new battery and my jeep still does not crank from the key. Everytime I try to crank it I just hear a click from inside the dash to the upper left of the steering column and the starter will still turn a little bit from with a screw driver. I suspect a new ignition switch is in order but I'm checking with you guys first.

Corlauv 03-22-2019 08:12 PM

?

Got it at last 03-22-2019 09:31 PM

By turn a little bit with a screwdriver, do you mean it turns over or just a click like it wants to engage? Sounds like your stuck somewhere between the relay and the starter relay.

Luckymac 03-23-2019 09:12 AM

Corlauv, you need to tell us more so that we can help.
When you state that "will still turn a little bit from with a screw driver" do you mean your'e jumping the starter solenoid with a screwdriver and it'll turn over a little or do you mean something else?

Good Luck, L.M.

Corlauv 03-24-2019 06:59 AM

I mean that it cranks with a screw driver. I also just used a test light and when I have a friend crank the jeep while I have a test light down by the starter where the power is sent to it when you crank it, the test light does not light when he cranks the jeep.

Corlauv 03-24-2019 07:00 AM

When I say it cranks, it will crank it and start it now

Got it at last 03-24-2019 08:36 AM

Pull down the '94 FSM from my signature, scroll down to around pg. 1150 or so. there's some information and diagrams that may help you understand what's going on better. I wish I could help, but my carb setup doesn't have all the extra bells and whistles your EFI does.

Corlauv 03-24-2019 09:21 AM

Okay, thanks for your help👍

Corlauv 05-19-2019 08:56 PM

Very stumped

So, my 1992 jeep wrangler YJ 4.0 automatic still wont crank. When I put the key to the run position the fuel pump does not kick on but the radio and all the lights work. The starter will not do anything when I turn the key to the crank position... I have replaced the ignition switch. I have also replaced the fuel pump and sending unit. All of the gauges work and the fuel guage is operating so power is getting to the pump, it's just not turning on for some reason when I turn the key to the run position and it wont crank when I turn the key to the crank position. I'm not sure what else it could be? I had the starter off and tested too and it is perfectly fine. I just dont know why my jeep wont crank??

Corlauv 05-19-2019 08:57 PM

If you guys need more info like a video of what's going on, go to my jeep insta page and I can send you a video. Its called cheap_jeep_yj

Gottagofast 05-19-2019 10:29 PM

Fuses or fusible links

UPStrades 05-19-2019 11:50 PM

86 Attachment(s)
Have you tried hitting the starter with a screwdriver? You'd be amazed how often that gets a starter to fire up once more. I doubt that's what it is since the pump doesn't prime. Trace the fuel pump wires and look for any breaks or corrosion.

Batjac 05-20-2019 04:25 AM

If it was me, I would get me a schematic and start tracing it out, I would think since the switch is new that a fuse or relay has got to be the issue but like all others that is just a guess. Need a meter and print to find it.

Corlauv 05-20-2019 05:51 AM

This has really got me stumped. I have no clue what the problem is, I'm probably gonna take it the whole wiring harness and check everything, another question though, if the battery was low, could that cause the fuel pump not to kick on but still late the radio and lights work? I swapped out my old battery for a used "working" battery but maybe it's bad now or something happened

4Jeepn 05-20-2019 06:11 AM

Does the fuel pump use the same wires for the gauge and to make the pump work? If not check those connections. You can by pass the ignition to get the starter to spin with a momentary switch arrangement. had to do that on my XJ at one point. super simple to wire up. Just use a good size fuse in the process.

Gottagofast 05-20-2019 06:43 AM

Guys, this is his 3rd thread on this problem.... in order to understand you need to read all 3 of them...

OP, by starting multiple new threads you are shooting yourself in the foot.... maybe a mod can merge them for you.

Corlauv 05-20-2019 06:50 AM

I'm not sure how to get ahold of a moderator, but If a mod see's this, please merge the threads "power, but no crank..." and "no crank, no start" with this thread👍

JonStevens 05-20-2019 07:50 AM

I am not going to find your other threads.

Have you put a multimeter on your neutral safety switch to verify that it is connected and good?

Blue Baby Sound 05-20-2019 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corlauv (Post 34340791)
I'm not sure how to get ahold of a moderator, but If a mod see's this, please merge the threads "power, but no crank..." and "no crank, no start" with this thread👍

Threads merged.

If it happens again just click on the https://k.nickpic.host/Bxdw7A.jpg icon and let us know :thumb:

Corlauv 05-20-2019 09:00 AM

So now all the information is here👍, can somebody please help me out here, the newest updates are that I have a new fuel sending unit and a good starter and all the electronics work except for when I turn the key to the run position, the fuel pump doesnt prime. The jeep also doesnt crank when I turn the key to the crank position, I have full 12v going to the starter from the battery.

Corlauv 05-20-2019 09:01 AM

If you need a history of previous problems I thought I sorted that could be related to this still, they are in this thread👍.

Corlauv 05-21-2019 06:31 PM

So guys, I've got the engine cranking with a remote starter switch and I've got no spark and no fuel being sent... what's wrong?