Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (https://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   Transmission question (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/transmission-question-2355089.html)

Jake650 03-22-2019 04:16 PM

Transmission question

Afternoon all,
New to the forum and Wranglers and looking forward to participating. I do have a quick question. I have a 1991,YJ with the 2.5L four cylinder and a 5 speed transmission. And yes it is falling into the clutch internal slave cylinder problem.... I've been looking at the net and from what I've read changing to an external slave cylinder seems the way to go. I'm retired, have plenty of time and know my way around a tool box. Having a pretty good idea of what needs to be gathered up and what needs to be I am uncertain about exactly which transmission I have. I am guessing it is the AX5 but just not certain enough to get things going. Anyone know for sure or what to look for to ensure I have the AX5? Thanks in advance

Jake

Old Dogger 03-22-2019 04:58 PM

:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

agalloch07 03-22-2019 06:19 PM

4 cyls were all AX5's

Jake650 03-22-2019 07:29 PM

Good to know and thanks for confirming.
Jake

Luckymac 03-23-2019 09:01 AM

Welcome to the Forum Jake650,

If you plan on hard off-roading, you might consider replacing the AX5 with the somewhat sturdier AX15. For a daily driver and light off-roading you're probably just fine with the AX5. The AX5 has a rusty (cast iron?) center plate and the AX15 has an aluminum center plate.

Good Luck, L.M.

Jake650 03-24-2019 04:45 AM

Thanks for the info Luckymac, The main reasons I bought the YJ was to: have one 4 wheel drive for winter and a fun run around vehicle. Not that SW Missouri winters really warrant the need for one, but I grew up I Michigan where it was, in my opinion, essential to have one. Some things ya just have a hard time growing out of. Maybe when the grand kids get older we'll make a more serious off roader out of the YJ.

Jake650 05-12-2019 12:35 PM

Well thought I might give an update on the internal to external clutch slave cylinder swap and ask another question. All things considered it went good. Things came apart without too much trouble and more importantly went back together with less trouble. But, as one would expect I did find other things that needed fixing. First was the right motor mount. The riser that is between the frame mount and motor mount had broken and then welded to the frame mount. Those welds had given way and a replacement riser could not be found, so I made a new one.

The biggest problem encountered was the crankshaft positioning sensor hook up. The female end had at one time been in contact with the exhaust manifold. Needless to say it was in bad shape and the previous owner had cobbled the wiring back to the ECM. While going back together the three wires came disconnected from the connector and without any insulation on the wires on the connector, I have no idea how to rewire it. Options are to hit the salvage yards for a replacement (given they will let me cut one from a harness) or rewire it. I was wondering if anyone knows which wire goes where on the female connector. The wires from the loom are: One white/black and what looks like two red/black ones. Looking at the open end of the female connector there are three female pin connectors in a triangle positioned under a flat used to position the male connector.

-------------
1 3

Does anyone know which wire goes to which pin?

Luckymac 05-12-2019 05:33 PM

Welcome to the Forum Jake650,

Look for a post by Got it at last. In his signature there's a link to a few Factory Service Manuals. Open the FSM that most closely matches your Jeep. There are schematics and plug pin outs in the electrical troubleshooting section. (At least that's where they are in my FSM.)

Good Luck, L.M.

Got it at last 05-12-2019 06:06 PM

Welcome Jake, Manuals below in dropbox link

Jake650 05-12-2019 09:30 PM

Luckmac and Got it at last. Thanks for the link. Found the wiring info on page 516 and sensor testing on 84. Got a bit of sorting out because it shows two wires, WT* and RD* going to the connector. I'll break out the Fluke meter tomorrow and get into it.