Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (https://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Suspension: buy package or individually? (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/suspension-buy-package-or-individually-2363857.html)

drodes 05-30-2019 12:11 AM

Suspension: buy package or individually?

Hey guys, I’m new to the forum, so if this question has been answered elsewhere please let me know (I’ve yet to find it myself).... I was just wondering, in your experiences, is it more beneficial to purchase entire suspension pieces packaged together, or buy them part by part and slowly build? For example, and I’m just using this as an example, some kits include or may not include a track bar. Would it be beneficial for me to purchase them separately (potentially installing at different times) or just find a package that absolutely has the pieces I’m looking for in it? In an ideal and perfect world I’d find exactly what I want, have the money for it and be able to buy and install all at once, but life happens especially with a kid. Thanks in advance, just looking for the right direction.

rcr1340 05-30-2019 07:43 AM

I thought I could do alot better not buying a kit and spent more money getting it corrected. I should have just bought the whole kit. Save time, money and headaches. The suspension has to all work together to function properly.

KrawlOff-Road.com 05-30-2019 07:59 AM

Doing it once and being done is usually the way people like to go. We can help you put together a package deal that comes with everything you need or we can look at a complete kit. We can help guide you and get it setup for YOUR needs.

Feel free to PM, email, or call us at anytime! Also, welcome to the forum!

-Jason

Blue Baby Sound 05-30-2019 08:01 AM

Thread moved from JK Build to JK General. Hopefully you'll get more answers here. :thumb:

Welcome to the forum! :wavey: :welcome:

For the novice a package is a good start. Nothing wrong with piecing one together, just takes a little more knowledge and experience IMO

Also IMO don't cheap out on your suspension, many people make their Jeep worse by adding cheap parts. Save a little longer if you have to and do it right the first time. Will also save you money in the long run :thumb:

Good luck!

USStrongman 05-30-2019 09:44 AM

Buying from a reputable manufacturer that actually tests what they build or sell is where you will get your greatest value. There are companies who are retailers only and have little experience with lesser known brands. There are companies who do amazing marketing and sell their products cheaply. I avoid both of those at all costs.

Companies like Rancho, AEV, Metalcloak, Teraflex and a few others do their homework and package things together that A work cohesively together and B have spec'd their products for their ideal outcomes.

Buying fundamental kits that include springs, shocks, bump stops are the foundation. Adding on things like quick disconnects, a steering stabilizer, sway bars, tie rods, gearing, etc are ways to enhance those fundamentals. I bought a kit (popular mid priced brand) and hated the outcome for my situation. I sold it and bought an AEV 2.5". I also bought their geo brackets. Later I bought a rear sway bar. Foundation and then enhancements.

bobchase 05-30-2019 11:51 AM

Frankly you can go either way. I went Ala Cart because I didn't see the OME springs that I wanted in any kit. OME, unlike many vendors, lists both spring rate and spring length. However, OME kits seem to come in just two springs rates - Normal and HD. Normal is a lift with pretty much stock spring rates while the HD rate is for overlanding with a spring rate so stiff that would leave the jeep bouncing down the road when it was unloaded like it was riding on the axles. So I ordered springs with the medium rate and installed them. After installation (and confirming that I could live with the ride) I measured the front and back for shocks. Again, I bought shocks that were not in the OME kits that I looked at on-line. So I have a nice OME 2" lift on my JK with both a great street ride and is very capable off-road.

Prages 05-30-2019 03:37 PM

What I did was to start with a fairly complete kit (JKS JKSPEC 2.5"). I added adjustable front lower control arms, a front adjustable track bar (kit came with the rear), and rear adjustable sway bar links (kit directions said to drill new holes in the mounts.) That got me a pretty darned nice lift right off the bat for about $1500.

I've since added big brakes up front, heavy duty drag link and tie rod, heavy duty ball joints, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting about.

drodes 05-31-2019 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road.com (Post 34356213)
Doing it once and being done is usually the way people like to go. We can help you put together a package deal that comes with everything you need or we can look at a complete kit. We can help guide you and get it setup for YOUR needs.

Feel free to PM, email, or call us at anytime! Also, welcome to the forum!

-Jason

Absolutely appreciated 💪💪💪

drodes 05-31-2019 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcr1340 (Post 34356203)
I thought I could do alot better not buying a kit and spent more money getting it corrected. I should have just bought the whole kit. Save time, money and headaches. The suspension has to all work together to function properly.

Much appreciated! This is kind of where I am, which is EXACTLY why I wanted to ask. I know I’m succeptable to thinking I know more than I actually do lol

drodes 05-31-2019 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USStrongman (Post 34356377)
Buying from a reputable manufacturer that actually tests what they build or sell is where you will get your greatest value. There are companies who are retailers only and have little experience with lesser known brands. There are companies who do amazing marketing and sell their products cheaply. I avoid both of those at all costs.

Companies like Rancho, AEV, Metalcloak, Teraflex and a few others do their homework and package things together that A work cohesively together and B have spec'd their products for their ideal outcomes.

Buying fundamental kits that include springs, shocks, bump stops are the foundation. Adding on things like quick disconnects, a steering stabilizer, sway bars, tie rods, gearing, etc are ways to enhance those fundamentals. I bought a kit (popular mid priced brand) and hated the outcome for my situation. I sold it and bought an AEV 2.5". I also bought their geo brackets. Later I bought a rear sway bar. Foundation and then enhancements.

That’s a fantastic way to explain it. I’m probably overthinking it as well.. I’m seeing some kits that do or don’t have certain things and it’s making me second guess. “Just meat and potatoes for now and I’ll worry about the seasoning in due time” kind of thing?

drodes 05-31-2019 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Baby Sound (Post 34356215)
Thread moved from JK Build to JK General. Hopefully you'll get more answers here. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.wranglerforum.com/../images/smilies/thumb.gif[/IMG]

Welcome to the forum! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.wranglerforum.com/../images/smilies/wavey.gif[/IMG] [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.wranglerforum.com/images/smilies/welcome.gif[/IMG]

For the novice a package is a good start. Nothing wrong with piecing one together, just takes a little more knowledge and experience IMO

Also IMO don't cheap out on your suspension, many people make their Jeep worse by adding cheap parts. Save a little longer if you have to and do it right the first time. Will also save you money in the long run [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.wranglerforum.com/../images/smilies/thumb.gif[/IMG]

Good luck!

No doubt! $1-2k is an investment for me so I definitely want to make sure I do it right and if I have save/spend a little more so be it. I appreciate the help and hope to learn as much as I can from other people’s mistakes instead of making and learning from my own 😂

DallasRecon 05-31-2019 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drodes (Post 34356031)
Hey guys, Iím new to the forum, so if this question has been answered elsewhere please let me know (Iíve yet to find it myself).... I was just wondering, in your experiences, is it more beneficial to purchase entire suspension pieces packaged together, or buy them part by part and slowly build? For example, and Iím just using this as an example, some kits include or may not include a track bar. Would it be beneficial for me to purchase them separately (potentially installing at different times) or just find a package that absolutely has the pieces Iím looking for in it? In an ideal and perfect world Iíd find exactly what I want, have the money for it and be able to buy and install all at once, but life happens especially with a kid. Thanks in advance, just looking for the right direction.

I guess it depends on what company. Not all packages are complete.

invariant 05-31-2019 11:06 AM

I did not buy a kit. I did it the way I wanted: Currie control arms and track bar, springs and shocks from Metalcloak, front shock outboarding brackets and rear spring correction wedges also from MC, and Teraflex bumpstops. I bought Clayton rear track bar axle bracket because I liked its design and availability and location of 2 holes for the track bar (3.5" and 5").

DallasRecon 05-31-2019 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by invariant (Post 34358065)
I did not buy a kit. I did it the way I wanted: Currie control arms and track bar, springs and shocks from Metalcloak, front shock outboarding brackets and rear spring correction wedges also from MC, and Teraflex bumpstops. I bought Clayton rear track bar axle bracket because I liked its design and availability and location of 2 holes for the track bar (3.5" and 5").

How does it ride??

jku007fl 05-31-2019 11:52 AM

If I were going to start building my Jeep today (with the little knowledge I've acquired) I would start buying 8 adjustable control arms and go from there.

kodgil58 05-31-2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drodes (Post 34356031)
Hey guys, Iím new to the forum, so if this question has been answered elsewhere please let me know (Iíve yet to find it myself).... I was just wondering, in your experiences, is it more beneficial to purchase entire suspension pieces packaged together, or buy them part by part and slowly build? For example, and Iím just using this as an example, some kits include or may not include a track bar. Would it be beneficial for me to purchase them separately (potentially installing at different times) or just find a package that absolutely has the pieces Iím looking for in it? In an ideal and perfect world Iíd find exactly what I want, have the money for it and be able to buy and install all at once, but life happens especially with a kid. Thanks in advance, just looking for the right direction.

In my exp, i Frankensteined my lift. I have teraflex, skyjacker, rough country, steinjager, Rancho and JKS parts to form a 6" front and 4" rear lift. Im totally happy with how it rides and i did all the work on it so i saved lots of money. The full kits were too much money for what i could afford at the time so i would just buy what i needed when i could or when the saies would hit. In my situation it was best to spread things out over time. I have access to every tool and a garage so this worked out best for me.

B4ZINGA 05-31-2019 01:41 PM

This is my first Jeep, and my first 4x4 adventure vehicle of any kind. The plan was not to do anything major until the bumper to bumper warranty expired. Reality had it lifted and on bigger tires within 6 months... but anyway...

I wasn't interested in faffing about with pieced-together kits. I read the reviews on vendor listings and here for several of the bigger brands and landed on the AEV 2.5" suspension lift kit as having everything I would need. 45,000 miles later on this lift and all I've changed is I removed the front sway bar link brackets and factory links in favor of JKS quick disconnects, and I recently replaced my factory front rzeppa joint on my front driveshaft with one from Teraflex that features a high-angle flange. I only did that because the factory unit failed.

Now, all I did was 2.5", while the general consensus is 3.0" and above requires more considerations paid to the front driveshaft, control arms, and steering components than 2.5" or less. That's where things get murky for me, and since I don't need more lift for my type of wheeling, I don't care. Indeed, AEV supplies their high angle steering kit with their 3.5" and 4.5" kits and some other companies add in control arms as well if you aren't getting geometry correction brackets.

I'm using the geo brackets, and my kit came with a different Mopar rear trackbar and bracket to relocate it. Still have my original front trackbar. If I'm ever in need of control arms and trackbars, I'll avoid the adjustible ones like the plague. My experience is jam nuts on aftermarket parts seize within hours, so it's just better get something intended for the lift that I have and not worry about dialing it in.

invariant 05-31-2019 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasRecon (Post 34358075)
How does it ride??

It rides great, I feel no difference from stock. I was on the fence between Currie and MC arms and asked a few people if I would feel any harshness if I went with Currie. I was assured I wouldn't, and it turned out true: no harshness at all. So far I'm happy with my choice.