Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (https://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Anyone not running TPMS? (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/anyone-not-running-tpms-2366771.html)

JKLAHYD 06-24-2019 03:30 PM

Anyone not running TPMS?

I am looking to replace wheels and tires to go with my 2.5" lift. Wondering if anyone has not installed the TPMS sensors and disabled the system with a programmer? Not really 100% sure there is one for 2013 JKU but looking for options.

JKLAHYD 06-24-2019 03:32 PM

Meant to be on JK forum. 🙄

Blue Baby Sound 06-24-2019 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKLAHYD (Post 34393937)
Meant to be on JK forum. 🙄

Thread moved from JL General to JK General.

If it ever happens again just click on the https://k.nickpic.host/Bxdw7A.jpg icon and let us know :thumb:

wheels082 06-24-2019 03:38 PM

No TPMS on my 2010 JKU when I bought new tires and wheels. I used a Superchips programmer to disable.

terpsmandan 06-24-2019 04:12 PM

AEV Procal will be able to disable the sensors.

Soggoth 06-24-2019 04:33 PM

I did exactly that few years ago: got a wheels/tires combo with no TMPS and just disabled the system with Procal.

Eventually I upgraded the tires and re-installed the sensors, but never bothered to turn TPMS back on, so it is still disabled and I don't care.

pedalwrench 06-24-2019 06:15 PM

Yep. I didn't have the sensors installed when I got new wheels and tires and disabled the thing via flashcal. My jeep doesn't have the EVIC to show me the pressures- it's just the idiot light. Knowing the pressures at a glance would be useful but just having the light would be an annoyance.

Dropkick Murphys 06-24-2019 06:20 PM

I didn’t buy the sensors when I went with new wheels and tires on my 2014. I disabled the system with the AEV procal. Having the tire pressures displayed was nice but I didn’t think the cost of new sensors was worth it. Straight old school pressure gauge now.

Lemotan 06-24-2019 06:20 PM

EVIC is great I wouldn't get read of it.
Sensors can be transferred from old wheels to the new ones.
Basic tpms IDK 50/50
if someone else drives your jeep I would consider keeping it.

WillB 06-24-2019 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemotan (Post 34394191)
EVIC is great I wouldn't get read of it.
Sensors can be transferred from old wheels to the new ones.
Basic tpms IDK 50/50
if someone else drives your jeep I would consider keeping it.

I wont loan my jeep out, but if you have no clue how to check tire pressure, you should not be driving.

Lemotan 06-24-2019 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillB (Post 34394253)
I wont loan my jeep out, but if you have no clue how to check tire pressure, you should not be driving.

What about rear view cameras, auto transmissions, start stop buttons, blind spots etc. :)

Aggie05 06-24-2019 07:51 PM

Got rid of the sensors almost as soon as I got the Jeep. Went to 37's with beadlocks and don't care for the notification/chimes/warnings everytime I air down. If my tire goes flat, I don't need the readout on the dash to tell me...

NJJeep Guy 06-24-2019 07:53 PM

I have an '07 so I don't have to be bothered by it. I did have to grumble at my local tire shop when I had to get new rubber and they installed TPMS valves and wanted to charge me for it.

Lemotan 06-24-2019 08:00 PM

The biggest advantage of tpms, or at list how I see it, is that it would alert you of pressure drop in advance while vehicle is in motion so that you can safely leave the road and fix/replace the tire. Also it would also probably save your tire, driving on flat even a short distance will damage it beyond repair.
Yes its a part of "idiot" package but imo useful one.

brimstone_ 06-25-2019 01:05 AM

I have been running without TPMS in my JK for over two years. I disabled the warnings with JScan.

I drove for thirty years without TPMS and managed to survive.

Dr Obbins 06-25-2019 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemotan (Post 34394335)
The biggest advantage of tpms, or at list how I see it, is that it would alert you of pressure drop in advance while vehicle is in motion so that you can safely leave the road and fix/replace the tire. Also it would also probably save your tire, driving on flat even a short distance will damage it beyond repair.
Yes its a part of "idiot" package but imo useful one.

Agreed. The jeep is the first vehicle I have owned with TPMS so it is not needed but nice to have. Last week, I got a small pebble in the bead in the rear passenger wheel. I don't usually see that tire as it is on the "other side" and the TPMS alerted me of the issue. Was loosing about 1psi per day. Because the TPMS showed the actual pressure, I was able to monitor the situation and air up as needed until I could fix the issue. The chiming is annoying when aired down for wheeling though.

jdinny 06-25-2019 04:47 AM

Mine's been turned off for several years.
Disabled with Flashpac

Jack FFR1846 06-25-2019 09:31 AM

There are a couple frequencies that the sensors can be. They changed mid 2013. I bought a couple craigslist wheels right before I got my offroad tires. They were from an early 13 Wrangler and mine is a 14. They don't register when on the Jeep. Doesn't matter to me because I'm aired down when I run these tires. No, I don't disable anything. When I put the OEM wheels/tires back on (like now, because my next offroad date is 3 weeks away), the low pressure warning goes away.

manilaboy1vic 06-25-2019 09:34 AM

I transferred mine over.. wasnt a big deal for the tire shop.. why wouldnt you want them, the more info the better..

MRBachand 06-26-2019 05:21 PM

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G1X7HJ9...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I've been eye-balling this. As mentioned above, it doesn't have to be 100% accurate, just to signal that one tire is loosing air so it can be maintained before catastrophe.

Sticks right to the windshield and is solar charged as well as optional USB.... looks neat.

cdeslandes 06-26-2019 06:02 PM

I transferred the TPMS sensors to my winter steelies.

No sensor in my summer MT tires.

I use my AEV Procal to enable/disable TPMS at the same time I recalibrate the tire size.