Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

TJ one ton steering

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  C.L. 
#1 ·
Hey y’all, i have a ‘98 TJ and i need new tie rods. I currently have a high steer set up and a buddy of mine told me to get a Y-link one ton. But then another friend told me going back to a y-link is a step down from my current set up. I’m not an expert on steering components (still new to jeeps and offroad set ups), and wanted some more opinions. I definitely want to go to one ton steering because I’m on a 5” Clayton long arm lift with an 8.8 rear and lunchbox lockers. 4.88 gears and 35’s... just seems logical to beef up the steering since i need new tie rods anyways.
Aside from the y-link vs high steer... should i also get a new drag link and/track bar while I’m at it?
Thanks for the advice.

#3 ·
Stick with stock knuckles and install a currie currectlync. TREs have a much larger body and are designed to work at more extreme angles vs anything else that is out there

Reactions: Ironhead Jed
#4 ·
A high-steer steering system is a POS with enough problems like bump steer and dead-spot in the steering that I dunno why anyone would think it's an upgrade. Its different look must fool some into thinking it is better. It's not.

Going back to the OE factory inverted-Y steering system would be upgrading your system back to the way it should be. The TJ's inverted-Y geometry is actually superb as is. As suggested by Tworlely I'd replace the knuckles with stock factory knuckles and replace that POS "high-steer" crap with Currie's Currectlync HD Steering Kit.

Make sure your track bar's frame side mount is at the stock (not dropped) height and that you're running the OE non-dropped Pitman arm.

Older Jeeps like CJs and YJs did often benefit from replacement steering systems, dropped Pitman arms, etc. but not the TJ. Its inverted-Y steering geometry is very hard to beat. For up to 5" of suspension lift I don't think it can be beat.

#6 ·
Thats the one you want. It will work with a 5" suspension. Anything less (read closely) requires more bumpstop.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.