Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (https://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   '89 YJ project (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/89-yj-project-2384019.html)

Gunnyusmc 12-01-2019 01:17 AM

'89 YJ project

2 Attachment(s)
Well I went and did it, went and bought another jeep ( number 6 to be exact ) been about ten years since my last one and just got the itch again. { with the wifes blessing this time LOL} Took me a long time to find an unmolested one, no lift, basically stock motor but with what I think is a ford carb. Only thing not stock are the tires and rims, running 31's on a set of mickey thompson rims. The plan is to go the other direction this time and return it to stock form. I'll be ditching the rims as soon as I can find someone to trade a set of factory rims. Living in western NY means 99% of older jeeps are on good bump away from snapping the rusty frame, this one is virtually rust free. A nice blank canvas so to speak. No, thats not a tear in the soft top, its a piece of branch from driving out to the deer blind.

vmxwinn 12-01-2019 02:54 AM

Looks to be in really good shape and I really don’t mind the rims you have on it. Good job! How about some interior and under hood pics.

Jarhead Al 12-01-2019 07:22 AM

Good looking Jeep! Welcome aboard and Semper Fi.

svtrit 12-01-2019 11:06 AM

You have exactly the rims I want for my 95 Jeep. Nice find!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luckymac 12-01-2019 01:34 PM

Welcome to the Forum Gunnyusmc,
The weather should hit you guys today. My kids live in upstate NY (Hudson Valley) and they're getting ready to be dumped on.

As a civilian I'm sure glad we have the US Marines. As a sailor, I was just cautious.

Good Luck, L.M.

Gunnyusmc 12-02-2019 12:23 AM

Weather hit us this morning, mostly freezing rain, roads were a mess, they closed about 80 miles of I-86. Supposed to get about 6 to 10Ē of snow tonight and tomorrow. Iím in the Corning area, about two hours south east of Rochester . The interior is mostly stock except a sound bar and the black bed rug carper the po put in. There are a few things that need done but it can wait until it warms up, I have too many motorcycles in the garage to fit it in there .
As for the rims, if I can find someone with a decent pair of stock rims with good rubber that isnít a 31, Iíd trade even. Not exactly going bone stock with the resto, my plan is for putting on 235-75 on the stock rims.
Iíll get some pics of the inside and the engine compartment and post them up.

Gottagofast 12-02-2019 02:07 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I just put 235 75's on stock alum on my latest tj...

I just picked up a set of 5 bfg rugged terrain for $423 shipped to my door from walmart.com... $79 each plus tax.... smokin deal you might wanna jump on...

Gunnyusmc 12-08-2019 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gottagofast (Post 34605779)

I just picked up a set of 5 bfg rugged terrain for $423 shipped to my door from walmart.com... $79 each plus tax.... smokin deal you might wanna jump on...

Very nice, I gotta head to the local scrap yard and see what they have for stock rims. I have discovered the beast tends to consume oil, a lot. Not totally unexpected but it does have me thinking of either a reman or an engine swap for either a 4.3 or a 5.0. There is the 440 interceptor in my dads garage that's looking for a home ..........:jawdrop:

Luckymac 12-08-2019 10:29 PM

Cheap and easy first.

Gunny, for the oil consumption I suggest putting 6 oz. of Seafoam in the crankcase and driving the Jeep gently for at least three run up to operating temp and cool off cycles or ~100 miles or so. Then change the oil and filter.
Some posters recommend Marvel Mystery Oil rather than the Seafoam. I haven't used the MMM, but I hear it gets good results too.

What either product does is flush the crud out from the oil galleries. If your piston rings are carboned up, the Seafoam (or MMM) may help clean them out and restore compression.

If a couple Seafoam treatments don't help, you'll probably want to do a compression test.
If the test shows you have good compression then I'd look into replacing the valve seals.
If you get poor compression readings after the Seafoam treatments, then it's time for a reman or LS1 swap depending on your budget.
After the LS1 swap, you'll want a Ford 8'8 rear axle or a D44.

In your first post in this thread you mentioned returning it to stock form. In your post #8, you're already thinking of a 5.0 or a 440 swap. You've got the bug already.
Welcome to the club.

Good Luck, L.M.

Instructor9 12-08-2019 10:51 PM

'89 YJ project

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunnyusmc (Post 34604565)
Well I went and did it, went and bought another jeep ( number 6 to be exact ) been about ten years since my last one and just got the itch again. { with the wifes blessing this time LOL} Took me a long time to find an unmolested one, no lift, basically stock motor but with what I think is a ford carb. Only thing not stock are the tires and rims, running 31's on a set of mickey thompson rims. The plan is to go the other direction this time and return it to stock form. I'll be ditching the rims as soon as I can find someone to trade a set of factory rims. Living in western NY means 99% of older jeeps are on good bump away from snapping the rusty frame, this one is virtually rust free. A nice blank canvas so to speak. No, thats not a tear in the soft top, its a piece of branch from driving out to the deer blind.

I love the looks just like it is!
But I understand. My PO had 18Ē wheels on mine.
I sold them off as quickly as I could; didnít look right on the old YJ. They were fancy wheels.
But. They had Duratracs on it. I ran them one winter. I replaced them with Kenda MTís. Worst mistake Iíve ever made when it comes to tires.
Theyíre fine for edd and mud, and they look fine.
But they donít go worth a darn in the snow.
If snow is a concern donít cheap-out.

Gunnyusmc 12-10-2019 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Instructor9 (Post 34614177)
I love the looks just like it is!
But I understand. My PO had 18Ē wheels on mine.
I sold them off as quickly as I could; didnít look right on the old YJ. They were fancy wheels.
But. They had Duratracs on it. I ran them one winter. I replaced them with Kenda MTís. Worst mistake Iíve ever made when it comes to tires.
Theyíre fine for edd and mud, and they look fine.
But they donít go worth a darn in the snow.
If snow is a concern donít cheap-out.

narrow tires for snow, just like in mud, wide tires tend to float and spin, especially on snow. These 31's aren't the worst I've had in snow ........ got a guy at work that may swap me for a stock set of alloys from his cherokee.

dante2 12-10-2019 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gottagofast (Post 34605779)

I got a set of these a few months ago for the MJ. Good deal and for a low price tire the sidewalls are really thick compared to the Goodyear Wrangler radials paper thin sidewall.

Instructor9 12-10-2019 06:35 PM

'89 YJ project

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunnyusmc (Post 34616275)
narrow tires for snow, just like in mud, wide tires tend to float and spin, especially on snow. These 31's aren't the worst I've had in snow ........ got a guy at work that may swap me for a stock set of alloys from his cherokee.

Mine are 31x10.5ís, so not real wide, but I completely understand what youíre saying.
Cool, I hope it works out for you!