Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (https://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Tires & Wheels (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/)
-   -   Nitto trail grappler vs micky MTZ (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/nitto-trail-grappler-vs-micky-mtz-246289.html)

GingerTJ 05-31-2013 04:41 PM

Nitto trail grappler vs micky MTZ

What would you decide? I have a sweet deal on both. 1000 for 5 mounted and balanced.

Pros cons? And if you have them post a photo!
33x12.5x15 is my size

ltsrapcon 05-31-2013 04:54 PM

The only bad thing Ive heard about Nittos is that they are heavy. Never had them on anything so I couldnt tell ya for sure. I did have Mickys on an old Blazer I used to have. Loved them, they out of a lot places I should have had to dig my way out of.

Sinister6 05-31-2013 11:29 PM

I just bought my second set of MTZ's. First set 45K with 6/32 left on them.... Ran the 1st set as low as 9-10# with out beadlocks, never slipped a bead. The new set I run on beadlocks 5# they flex great, hook up where others slip, clean out exceptionally well. Sidewall is bombproof!
I have guys come up and ask what tire I'm running all the time, usually it's after I walked up something that they struggled with...

GingerTJ 06-01-2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinister6 (Post 3813202)
I just bought my second set of MTZ's. First set 45K with 6/32 left on them.... Ran the 1st set as low as 9-10# with out beadlocks, never slipped a bead. The new set I run on beadlocks 5# they flex great, hook up where others slip, clean out exceptionally well. Sidewall is bombproof!
I have guys come up and ask what tire I'm running all the time, usually it's after I walked up something that they struggled with...

Good to know! Thanks! Nittos look best.. But mtz looks to preform better

GingerTJ 06-01-2013 12:26 AM

Anyone know the weight diffrence between the Two tires? I can't find em..

dale 3 06-01-2013 08:01 AM

I purchased NITTO'S AT'S Reason being they are made like Michelin's manufactured in sections not halves.Suppose to be stronger,truer.Heard Nitto's are heavy.To me heavy means more meat,thicker,stronger?Common sense?Yea more weight more gas?Are we counting pennys here? Good revues with nitto other tire? I don't have many miles on mine so can't help their.Is pricier better?

GingerTJ 06-01-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dale 3 (Post 3813913)
I purchased NITTO'S AT'S Reason being they are made like Michelin's manufactured in sections not halves.Suppose to be stronger,truer.Heard Nitto's are heavy.To me heavy means more meat,thicker,stronger?Common sense?Yea more weight more gas?Are we counting pennys here? Good revues with nitto other tire? I don't have many miles on mine so can't help their.Is pricier better?

My issue is I have a Dana 30 and don't wanna ruine it, and my jeep isa 4 cy

Sinister6 06-01-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GingerTJ (Post 3814006)
My issue is I have a Dana 30 and don't wanna ruine it, and my jeep isa 4 cy

My buddy runs 37's on a dana 30 for almost 10 yrs...it's all about HOW you wheel. If you start bouncing and use speed you will eventually destroy it.
Now with regards to weight of a tire. You need to remember that EVERY 10# at the axle is equivalent to an EXTRA 100# in the cabin. So if the Nitto's are 10# heavier than the MTZ that's like having an extra 400 pounds in the cabin. Then you have to add everything you take with you when you go out. That kind of weight adds up very quickly. AND the extra weight takes more energy to stop...so now you're looking at possibly having to upgrade your brakes.

Do the Nitto LOOK cool yeah they do. If you were running them on a truck both tires would be a good option. I looked at a LOT of tires before I bought my new ones. I looked at the one's EVERYONE seems to run but when I started to compare the following criteria I went with the tire I already had been running. A "popular" or "cool looking" tire doesn't mean it's the best performing tire. And when you consider the tire is the ONLY contact point of the vehicle to the road it needs to take a beating. Personnally if both tires are the same price I would look at the reviews and compare: Performance, Weight, Sidewall, Treadlife and then cost. Hope this helps you make an informed decision...

Hockeymonster 06-01-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinister6 (Post 3814269)

My buddy runs 37's on a dana 30 for almost 10 yrs...it's all about HOW you wheel. If you start bouncing and use speed you will eventually destroy it.
Now with regards to weight of a tire. You need to remember that EVERY 10# at the axle is equivalent to an EXTRA 100# in the cabin. So if the Nitto's are 10# heavier than the MTZ that's like having an extra 400 pounds in the cabin. Then you have to add everything you take with you when you go out. That kind of weight adds up very quickly. AND the extra weight takes more energy to stop...so now you're looking at possibly having to upgrade your brakes.

Do the Nitto LOOK cool yeah they do. If you were running them on a truck both tires would be a good option. I looked at a LOT of tires before I bought my new ones. I looked at the one's EVERYONE seems to run but when I started to compare the following criteria I went with the tire I already had been running. A "popular" or "cool looking" tire doesn't mean it's the best performing tire. And when you consider the tire is the ONLY contact point of the vehicle to the road it needs to take a beating. Personnally if both tires are the same price I would look at the reviews and compare: Performance, Weight, Sidewall, Treadlife and then cost. Hope this helps you make an informed decision...

Nitto Trarra Grapplers
have been great on my 07

Rogerg 06-01-2013 03:03 PM

I ran 33 MTZs for awhile when I first got my JK and they are awesome, matter of fact to this day is still my favorite tire.

But when I moved to 37s I switched to the trail grapplers for they are cheaper in that size and much easier to find locally. The trail grapplers reminds me a lot of the MTZ for they stick to the rocks really good. But if they were priced the same I would get the MTZ.

IMHO you cant go wrong with either tire.

GingerTJ 06-01-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogerg (Post 3814861)
I ran 33 MTZs for awhile when I first got my JK and they are awesome, matter of fact to this day is still my favorite tire.

But when I moved to 37s I switched to the trail grapplers for they are cheaper in that size and much easier to find locally. The trail grapplers reminds me a lot of the MTZ for they stick to the rocks really good. But if they were priced the same I would get the MTZ.

IMHO you cant go wrong with either tire.

Still deciding.. I have a 2.5 so not sure if my rig could run 33 trail grapplers