Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (https://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ General Discussion Forum (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/)
-   -   detroit locker (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f290/detroit-locker-67701.html)

Rhenry518 11-04-2010 12:09 PM

detroit locker

i am thinking about putting the super 35 kit into my 92 yj . i found out a lot of information from people on here about it but the only thing im not sure about is the detroit locker it comes with. how exactly does the locker work? does it stay engaged the whole time? or does it activate with slippage. just trying to figure out how they exactly work

JeeperRob 11-04-2010 03:01 PM

Detroit lockers lock automatically when one of the wheels starts spinning a lot fast then the other on the same axel. Front what I have read they some times lock up when u don't want them to... On the road.

nick50471 11-04-2010 03:12 PM

The above statement is incorrect.

When input power is applied both axels will lock. When you let off the locker will allow both axels to spin at different speeds. If you accelerate through a turn you will hear a load pop. This is the locker and is normal. You will need to learn to coast through corners.

WhistlerJeep 11-04-2010 04:28 PM

Had a detroit locker in my 93 YJ before the rear axle got smashed. What Nick said is correct....

Rhenry518 11-04-2010 06:44 PM

ao is the detroit lockers worth it then? or should i use that OX one where you can manually engage and disengage.

nick50471 11-04-2010 10:20 PM

The OX locker is very good also. you will have to make that choice yourself.

Rhenry518 11-05-2010 11:36 AM

if i put the ox locker kit with stronger axles under my yj it would be strong enough to hold 33x12.50 when off roading with the axles locked without breaking the axles.

Gate53 11-05-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhenry518 (Post 860487)
if i put the ox locker kit with stronger axles under my yj it would be strong enough to hold 33x12.50 when off roading with the axles locked without breaking the axles.

I choose to leave the axles as is because there is always going to be a "weak link" unless you upgrade from tire to pistons. I figure that the axles are the cheapest and easiest fix. Upgrading the axle moves the weak spot to the ring and pinion or the drive shaft. I bought a set of axles and rebuilt them so if I snap one it's under an hour to swap out and I don't even lose the day much less have a towing bill. I don't go out with the plan of snapping one but I don't worry if I can make it home either. Oh I run 32x11.50x15's now and haven't had an axle go yet.

nick50471 11-05-2010 11:48 AM

The Super 35 axels and a locker will handle 35" tires easily. If you break that set up your doing some very extreme wheelin.

EdJonesJeeper 11-05-2010 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick50471
The Super 35 axels and a locker will handle 35" tires easily. If you break that set up your doing some very extreme wheelin.

With that much money in it I'd go 8.8 or get lucky and find a d44 out of a tj. Even after u build the super kit the ring and pinion become the weakest link and will crap out on you. I've got as much faith in the Dana 35 as I do in flying spaghetti monsters.

530ktm 11-05-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick50471 (Post 858748)
The above statement is incorrect.

When input power is applied both axels will lock. When you let off the locker will allow both axels to spin at different speeds. If you accelerate through a turn you will hear a load pop. This is the locker and is normal. You will need to learn to coast through corners.

I just wanted to say this statement is a perfect description of how you must drive with the Detroit. It took me a while to figure it out. Once you learn to coast through turns and learn a couple of the little personality traits of the locker, you will never know it is back there until you get on the rocks and hills. I love mine. :)

Norituck 11-10-2010 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 530ktm (Post 860886)
I just wanted to say this statement is a perfect description of how you must drive with the Detroit. It took me a while to figure it out. Once you learn to coast through turns and learn a couple of the little personality traits of the locker, you will never know it is back there until you get on the rocks and hills. I love mine. :)

I was thinking of puting a Detroit locker in my 95 yj 6cyl. Can someone explain more about coasting thru turns. Both left and right turn? Usually left turn are not as much of an angle as right turns (in USA).

J10 11-10-2010 10:36 AM

With auto lockers you need to have no torque going to them to allow the wheels to spin at differing rates, you do this by engaging the clutch before the rear tires will need to spin at different speeds or you can cause uneven tire wear, loss of traction and wear to the axle and components. The above is only a concern when on a surface that wont allow the wheel to slip aka pavement
I would stick to the selectable lockers, its only locked when you want it to be, but to each his own

Norituck 11-10-2010 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J10 (Post 868789)
With auto lockers you need to have no torque going to them to allow the wheels to spin at differing rates, you do this by engaging the clutch before the rear tires will need to spin at different speeds or you can cause uneven tire wear, loss of traction and wear to the axle and components. The above is only a concern when on a surface that wont allow the wheel to slip aka pavement
I would stick to the selectable lockers, its only locked when you want it to be, but to each his own

Makes sense, but what happens with an :eek: automatic?

nick50471 11-10-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norituck (Post 868817)
Makes sense, but what happens with an :eek: automatic?

Same thing. Coast thru the corners.

J10 11-10-2010 06:47 PM

I think he means about the clutch, I would say just take your foot off the gas and you should be ok but I dont know for sure.
Basically it will only lock if there is more torque coming from the driveshaft rather than the wheels

4Jeepn 11-10-2010 07:07 PM

Okay 1st, I have run a Detriot, lockright, and ARB. With the detroit you will notice it in two main area's. 1. when make a slow right or left turn usually from a stop.. it may make a loud, cannon like boom, this is normal. 2. if you are changing lanes at high speed and increase that speed the rear of the jeep will sort of float on you and almost change lanes by it self. Other than that it was fine.

I had a buddy who had the Super 35 kit, a Jeep which I also drove off road in some very bad area's. The super 35 with 33x12.50 TSL's did fine.. Even had it on one rear tire trying to go up a hill.. that would have busted a stock dana 35. He did have an issue with it, the locker it self went bad.

Best lockers I have run to date would be the ARB's.. they also cost the most.

Norituck 11-10-2010 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J10 (Post 869416)
I think he means about the clutch, I would say just take your foot off the gas and you should be ok but I dont know for sure.
Basically it will only lock if there is more torque coming from the driveshaft rather than the wheels

:appl:

birtydugger 11-13-2010 04:50 AM

POWERTRAX NO-SLIP...still in my D35 (3yrs)! never any probs...great on road also..used on snow and ice too,..u learn to drive with it and the slight oversteer that u get isnt an issue!! its cheap and 1 of the toughest out there, its the size of an orange and takes about 2 hours to fit!! but i did strenghten my rear axle shafts to chromolly (30% stronger!), running on 33" and dont even know its in there! brilliant locker. :punk:

kilz42 11-16-2010 12:37 PM

Hey in reference to Detroit lockers... I have loud pop noise that you all mentioned. Is it usually accompanied by slight vehicle sheer and is it a LOUD pop? Cause I've had the pop as long as ive had my lockers and its always bugged me because I thought it might be a tranny issue. Sounds like its my lockers tho so it's a normal sound right?

XJ Knight 11-16-2010 12:56 PM

I had an Aussie in my XJ's rear and there was the occasional light chirp.. Never had a loud pop... Of course I guess the loud pop could be a detroit thing.. I'm not sure..

Norituck 11-16-2010 04:22 PM

@Kilz, sounds like your locker. I'm just learning and a noob myself but I was in my brothers jeep and heard the loud pop and thought he broke something. He said it was normal with the Detroit Locker. I think he needs to coast thru his turns more.

kilz42 11-16-2010 04:51 PM

Awesome! I seriously think I've busted a pinion every time. I've been working on my coasting and it's improved. Love my lockers tho - can't stop em offroad

Norituck 11-16-2010 05:39 PM

I bet you love your lockers. I don't have them in my Jeep yet, but I can see a set or at least the rear in my future.