Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (https://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Tires & Wheels (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/)
-   -   What should i do? (https://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/what-should-i-do-68817.html)

DKDKGUS 11-13-2010 07:36 PM

What should i do?

Since I've had my Jeep I've been wondering what to do about my rims. All 4 have some rust that varies from slight to moderate. I've taken a 3M pad to the light rust and that works, but some of it is too deep to remove. As I'm not a big fan of chrome, I've been thinking of having them powdercoated black after the thaw. I'm too cheap to buy new or even used rims as the ones that are on it now are round and funtion good enough for me for the time being. And I do realize that it's a Jeep and is meant to get dirty (which I do), but after a bath, I'd still like her to look good. If the rust is too deep for a scuff pad, should I be worried that it will someday be so deep that it could compromise the steel? Any thoughts are appreciated.

DKDKGUS 11-13-2010 07:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of some of the rust. As you can see, these rims have a flat section that holds water/snow, allowing it to set there :-(

Bruck 11-13-2010 07:48 PM

Not sure what it costs, but I would do power coat in black. I have been thinking about that too.

oklj 11-13-2010 07:50 PM

It might be cheaper to just buy some black steel wheels instead or powder coating

InfernoGirl 11-13-2010 08:13 PM

If the rust is too much for a scrubbie, take a Dremel with a sanding disc after them, then step up to a finer grit, till you regain the polish..........

toshpate 11-13-2010 08:15 PM

lot of DIY on painint them yourself too

Bruck 11-13-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruckerw (Post 874513)
Not sure what it costs, but I would do power coat in black. I have been thinking about that too.

Wonder if 'power coat' is cheaper than 'powder coat?" Good lord...Been typing all day at work. Can't do it anymore....:bottom:

DKDKGUS 11-13-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfernoGirl
If the rust is too much for a scrubbie, take a Dremel with a sanding disc after them, then step up to a finer grit, till you regain the polish..........

I think the rust is close to the bare metal in some areas. Trying to take it all off might make things worse. But I may still give that a try.

DKDKGUS 11-13-2010 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toshpate
lot of DIY on painint them yourself too

I've thought of that, but I think powdercoating them will last longer than my rattle can abilities lol

DKDKGUS 11-13-2010 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruckerw

Been typing all day at work. Can't do it anymore....:bottom:

Been there, I know your pain!!