Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife drives the Jeep on days she goes to the ranch for the day to do volunteer work. We figure it’s better than driving the civic in the dirt after spending 7 hrs doing ranch work. So today she tells me it must be because she drove around with the windows down but the tires sound “louder” today. Here in the desert Summers everybody drives with the a/c on so the windows are always rolled up. Today it was cool so she drove with the windows down. As soon as I heard her say that, I figured I would take a look and sure enough she was driving around with the rear looker activated. I installed a Eaton rear locker 6 years ago (Jeep only has rear locker) on my wrangler sport. The ranch is a quick 10 minutes away from the house.

Backing out of the driveway and turning produces the chirp chirp chirp of locked axels on the payment. What are you gonna do but smile and tell her to NEVER drive with the light switches on (rear locker, light bar, spot lights, etc). No damage done so not really a big deal. But I did think if the drivetrain would of grenaded, I could get the a new rubicon to replace my paid off 2018 JKU.

Three months ago it was “ Honey, the engine sounds real loud”. She somehow put the trans in manual and drove around For a little bit. But she did pull over and call me so I was able to tell her how to get back to auto mode.

O well, some day I will get my Rubicon ha ha.

Attachments

·
Registered
806 Posts
Sounds like it could be most any day now.:) (the new rubi)
I feel for you as I've had to banish my wife to the 96 bronco she insisted we keep and even there she goes button crazy and usually leaves the LIGHTED fog light switch on killing the battery yet again, and again.
I can't seem to convince her it's not always the best idea to poke buttons just to see what happens. :bottom:

Reactions: MRBachand

·
Registered
622 Posts
You need a "wife proof" setup. Here's how it goes. The locker switches get fed by a separate, hidden master switch. You turn off the master and the locker switch no longer does anything.

I did something similar with our home thermostats. I'd come home to the house being 88 degrees. Why? Because the wife would feel a little cold and want it warmer....NOW!....so she'd jack the temp to 88. I hooked up a series thermostat in the closet. I set it at 70. She's now free to jack that thing up to 90 and it's not going to cost me an arm and a leg to create a sauna in the house.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
You need a "wife proof" setup. Here's how it goes. The locker switches get fed by a separate, hidden master switch. You turn off the master and the locker switch no longer does anything.
Conversely, you could plan a nice day of easy to moderate wheeling with a picnic and allow her to pilot while you explain, demonstrate, guide, and enable her to use the various components so, should the need ever arise, she could safely drive the Jeep without fear of damage to it.
If you are in a Jeep club, maybe make it a Ladies’ Day or a Jeep 101 event. Might help you to score enough goodwill to order some new Jeep parts.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
First thing I thought of was that home improvement episode where Jill tells Tim “ I thought a light would get brighter or a buzzer would sound”. My wife ( bless her heart) doesn’t want to know how anything works until she’s somewhere without me and something goes wacky. Then it’s a teachable moment. It’s all good though.:)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Conversely, you could plan a nice day of easy to moderate wheeling with a picnic and allow her to pilot while you explain, demonstrate, guide, and enable her to use the various components so, should the need ever arise, she could safely drive the Jeep without fear of damage to it.
If you are in a Jeep club, maybe make it a Ladies’ Day or a Jeep 101 event. Might help you to score enough goodwill to order some new Jeep parts.
Been there, done that sine 2013 when we got the JKU. Lots of abandoned mine shaft destinations just outside of Vegas and even within the city to do an easy explore. We have been wheeling in Moab, Aspen, few places in Arizona, etc. Showed her controls, how to get into 4Lo etc. wheeling is just not a frequent event for her to stay well practiced on.

It pretty much was a situation like riverredrubicon described. I would never try driving with the rear locker on city streets. At least for me it is not the sudden death to the Jeep I once feared it to be. These things are tuff machines (within reason). But I totally agree in showing the navigator the controls and operation of the wrangler. But I also can’t make a fun day wheeling a detailed lesson on “how to” when she just wants to enjoy the scenery or she would probably stop going on outings with me.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Haha! I'm the wife and DD of MY jeep. I tell my husband don't mess with anything. He keeps turning the pedal commander off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts