Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Source: https://www.facebook.com/prodigyperform/photos/a.225539780872996.51616.210234079070233/820225971404371/?type=1&theater

Prodigy Performance is testing a different turbo with their turbo kit. This one is from Precision (rather than Garrett). I've been told that it spools faster and at lower rpms.

No confirmed numbers yet. They need to get one installed on a manual transmission Wrangler so they can get lower rpm dyno results, but they're all going on automatics so far.

Can't wait to see how low in the rpm range it makes full boost and big gains in torque!

·
Registered
566 Posts
My jeep wouldn't fall to 60mph in less than 7 seconds!

Also, if I had one gallon of gas in it, let it idle, and dropped it from 16 miles up it would run out of gas before hitting the ground...

Still the slowest thing I've ever really liked!

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
My jeep wouldn't (free) fall to 60mph in less than 7 seconds!
:lmao:

So, very true.

Didn't the army use to simply air drop Jeeps out of a cargo plane, with no need for a 'chute?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I've seen some of those drops, they strapped the jeeps on pallets to break the fall and did attach a chute. Saw one come down, chute not deployed, big bounce, not good

·
Registered
339 Posts
My jeep wouldn't fall to 60mph in less than 7 seconds! Also, if I had one gallon of gas in it, let it idle, and dropped it from 16 miles up it would run out of gas before hitting the ground... Still the slowest thing I've ever really liked!
But I'm not bitter...
:)

·
Super Moderator
15,385 Posts
I like fast/quick cars. My other ride is a modified WRX.
BUT what ever happened to balance? The Jeep is not a vehicle I want to go that fast. The brakes aren't up to par, the handling isn't up to par, the tires aren't made for that, etc, etc. The first time you have to do an emergency maneuver you're screwed.

So I say no thanks, I'll keep my cars quick and my Jeeps slow...

·
Registered
269 Posts
My jeep wouldn't fall to 60mph in less than 7 seconds!

Also, if I had one gallon of gas in it, let it idle, and dropped it from 16 miles up it would run out of gas before hitting the ground...

Still the slowest thing I've ever really liked!

Dig the username!

Yeah, I'm not driving a Jeep because it is fast. Sure, I drive it faster than most people drive their cars, but I'm not breaking any records in the process!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I find that I actually intentionally drive slower in my Jeep. I'm rarely in a rush when driving my Jeep and I enjoy all the time I spend behind the wheel. This being said, my 640 hp Porsche 911 turbo was not driven slowly and I enjoyed being behind the wheel of it as well. I think the major difference was the the Porsche was a wonderfully handling vehicle while my Jeep is... well... best driven slow. :D

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
I find that I actually intentionally drive slower in my Jeep. I'm rarely in a rush when driving my Jeep and I enjoy all the time I spend behind the wheel.
+1

When I take my Jeep to work, my commute time is almost double.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why so many "sour grapes" responses? I never see this much negativity on threads about superchargers or v8 swaps. But because it's a turbo making the power gains, suddenly it's ridiculous to want more power in a Wrangler?

Anyone saying they wouldn't even want their Jeep to be able to accelerate quickly clearly has not driven a Jeep that is capable of accelerating quickly. It's fun. I challenge anyone to drive a powerful Jeep and honestly not enjoy it. Even passengers in my Jeep can't help but laugh and grin like a child.

Interesting! Pickles, you should volunteer to be their test subject!
I already volunteered to take a Precision turbo for "evaluation purposes" in exchange for using my own money/time to get before/after dyno results that directly compare the two turbos on the same vehicle, same dyno. The response was: "Nice try!!" :)

They are probably waiting for a local manual trans Jeep so they can do some local testing/tuning.

Meanwhile, I'm just waiting for dyno results and upgrade pricing.

The brakes aren't up to par, the handling isn't up to par, the tires aren't made for that, etc, etc. The first time you have to do an emergency maneuver you're screwed.
If we were talking about a vehicle that was to be raced, I would completely agree. However, these types of statements are entirely irrelevant in the context of a street-driven vehicle.

The amount of power available under the hood has nothing to do with how the vehicle will react in an emergency maneuver on the streets, how much braking capability in required for street driving, etc.

Just because you have more power, doesn't mean you have to drive like the streets are a race track, exceed speed limits, brake late for corners from higher speeds, drive fast through corners, etc.

Especially here in the midwest where nearly all roads are straight and flat, there's plenty of opportunity to enjoy straight-line acceleration, and very little opportunity to be disappointed by cornering performance. Straight-line acceleration is also very useful for merging onto freeways and highway/freeway passing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I would totally volunteer to do this lol. I went from driving a fast car to a jeep and do quite enjoy my laid back "strolls" now tho haha

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One thing I really like about the turbo is that it still sounds like a stock vehicle when driven gently, steadily cruising, idling, etc. No supercharger whine, no loud exhaust, no V8 sound to give away the secret under the hood.

I still very much enjoy laid back "strolls" in the Jeep too (without any extra "powerful" sounds), taking back roads through forested areas, driving down narrow twisty dirt trails in the woods, etc.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Anyone saying they wouldn't even want their Jeep to be able to accelerate quickly clearly has not driven a Jeep that is capable of accelerating quickly. It's fun. I challenge anyone to drive a powerful Jeep and honestly not enjoy it. Even passengers in my Jeep can't help but laugh and grin like a child.
The amount of power available under the hood has nothing to do with how the vehicle will react in an emergency maneuver on the streets, how much braking capability in required for street driving, etc.
I think it is simply the reality that the JK suspension and brakes weren't designed to handle it. One can't just shoehorn more power under the hood, and safely go zooming around the roadways.

If you intent is still drive real slowly, so that you are going a nice slow speed when that emergency maneuver is required, then I have to ask, why bother with all the extra HP?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts