Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a picture of there jeep with 0 offtet wheels on it? Found a good deal on some but not sure how offset works

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
As mentioned above, back space is the number you need to be concerned about. Although the measurements are related, offset measurements will vary based on wheel width. Back space measurement will remain constant irregardless of wheel width.

0 offset on an 8" wide wheel is 4" back space.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't have a picture (Skrow's post is spot on for dimension explanation) but here's some stuff you should concider...

1. Factory stock offset is typically positive 25mm (a little less than 1 inch), and factory stock backspacing is 5.5 inches.

2. Jeepers like to focus on backspacing because it equates directly to the size tire they can stuff under the body (less backspacing equals ability for a larger tire to turn and not rub). But that will only get you clear of rubbing tires, keep in mind that you still need to drive down the road.

3. Offset is a factor! When the two dimensions are put together it will give you the factory ride dynamic that totally screws up your on road handling. If you get too focused on only backspacing you might believe that less is always better for the reasons described in #2 above. However less backspacing with factory stock offset will totally screw up your scrub radius (translation; DEATH WOBBLE).

My advice is to get a offset/backspacing combination that matches the factory geometry. I recently bought a 06 TJ for $2,900 under BlueBook because it had the death wobble and the dealer's techs couldn't figure out what was wrong (everything was tight). I didn't know what the exact specs were on the Jeep wheels I was buying but I knew they were aftermarket wheels with WAY too little backspacing. I took the Jeep home (keeping it under 50), and ordered 4 wheels with +19 offset and about 5.3 inches of backspacing. Put them on and haven't had a wobble since.

Oh, and I know you were asking how they look; my avatar is the Jeep with wheels with way too little backspacing... they do look bad ass!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
Forget you ever heard the term Offset when asking about Jeep wheels. Offset is a term and method of measuring that is more useful for cars. Backspacing is the term and a different method of measuring that is most useful for Jeeps and trucks.

Backspacing is a simple measurement... it measures how far in the wheel's inside edge is positioned from the wheel's mounting surface.

Too much backspacing positions the wheel's inside edge and thus the tire's inside sidewall too close to the suspension where it will rub.

Insufficient backspacing positions the wheel too far out of the wheel well which can make your Jeep look like a skateboard.

Stock wheels have 5.25" to 5.5" of backspacing which is fine for narrow factory size tires which are narrow enough so their inside sidewalls won't rub on the suspension.

Aftermarket wheels typically have 3.75" to 4" of backspacing which gives bigger/wider aftermarket tires more clearance away from the suspension.

The yellow tape measure below is measuring the backspacing which is that distance from the wheel's mounting flange to the inside edge of the wheel.

Attachments

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/wto/5405765647.html

These are the wheels im looking so would they look funny with a 4.25" lift and 33" tires or would they stick out pretty good?
They would look and work fine, but you may have to add a washer or two to your steering stops. The bigger issue is that they are 16" wheels so you will pay a lot more for tires, and they will only be available in load range "d" which will provide a stiffer ride than the load range "c" tires that are used on wranglers. Really better off to go with 15" wheels imho

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They would look and work fine, but you may have to add a washer or two to your steering stops. The bigger issue is that they are 16" wheels so you will pay a lot more for tires, and they will only be available in load range "d" which will provide a stiffer ride than the load range "c" tires that are used on wranglers. Really better off to go with 15" wheels imho
The problem is i have some almost new mud tires i bought for my truck last year but they are 16". On my jeep right now i have 15" wheels but the tires are almost bald. So i was thinking about stealing the tires off my truck and buying new wheels that are 16" because new wheels seem to be cheaper than tires because you can buy used

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
The problem is i have some almost new mud tires i bought for my truck last year but they are 16". On my jeep right now i have 15" wheels but the tires are almost bald. So i was thinking about stealing the tires off my truck and buying new wheels that are 16" because new wheels seem to be cheaper than tires because you can buy used
Do what you want, just sayin', I went to 16" wheels years ago when I first got my TJ, and then found out it was costing me $250 more for (the same size) 5 tires because I had 16" rims. I decided it would be cheaper to go back to 15" rims rather to pay the extra every time I needed tires....plus it rides better.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do what you want, just sayin', I went to 16" wheels years ago when I first got my TJ, and then found out it was costing me $250 more for (the same size) 5 tires because I had 16" rims. I decided it would be cheaper to go back to 15" rims rather to pay the extra every time I needed tires....plus it rides better.
Thanks for the advice. Im just looking at tires now for the 15" wheels because after all the dismounting, mounting, and balancing and everything for 2 different vehicals id be pretty close to the price of new tires anyway

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Back space is definitely easier to understand.
Offset assumes 0 is the rim centreline. Positive numbers increase the backspace. Negative numbers reduce backspace.... which is metric, measured in millimetres.

In simple terms... an 8" rim with 4" backspace would have 0 offset.
-25 offset would be 3" backspace.... sort of.

Yeah, just buy rims which spell out backspace... or measure it yourself.
The other factor.. backspace measures from the inside edge of the rim.
Offset measures from the inside of the bead. Which throws off a direct conversion.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Not sure why you would buy them when one tire has 20% left and the other 3 have 60%. The only value is the rims... at $150.00 each?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So you're not actually going to be spending anywhere near the $600 right? Those wheels are only $156 brand-new.
He asked for 450 but im looking at another deal now not really in any hurry to get them unless its a really good deal. Any ideas of where i can find a good deal?

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Used wheels ??

50% of retail... and only if you really love them

1 - 20 of 27 Posts