Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..do it myself? What's good kit to purchase? Need vac pump to evac also.
Any suggestions? Have done minor repairs in another life...brakes, valve job, etc. Thx.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I would get any kit and a container that includes dye. If it leaks fast enough to be detected you will find the problem. If not you will have cold air for at least the season for around $30-40. If it leaks bad the dye will lead you to it then more money. My ac works still but I love windows down. I try to use it 10 minutes a month. ( defrost
In winter) to keep it from getting old and rusty. Good luck. :).

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would get any kit and a container that includes dye. If it leaks fast enough to be detected you will find the problem. If not you will have cold air for at least the season for around $30-40. If it leaks bad the dye will lead you to it then more money. My ac works still but I love windows down. I try to use it 10 minutes a month. ( defrost
In winter) to keep it from getting old and rusty. Good luck. :).
Yeah I've seen/tried those ac pro type recharge cans with low side connects. Not what I'm referring to. Talking about the real "pro" type...with both low n hi side gauges etc. BTW, shop chged with 2.5# of freon. All gone in 2 days! He did dye it n I bought the ir light but can't seem to see where its leaking rite now. Will try n look again tomorrow.
Anyone (pros?) out there with recommendations on a complete gauge recharge kit to get? Need a vac pump also I guess. How bout some kind of recovery tank..or do I "let it fly"?
Any particular places they usually leak from? Shop tells me they get $80 a lb for freon these days! Thx to all.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Common leak spots are the connections (O rings) and access ports, on mine it was the assembly seam on my compressor just behind the clutch. Ran dye thru and kept finding a purple streak on top of my compressor. Cleaned it thoroughly and came right back. Bitch was it only leaked while in operation.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Did they check the condenser? I've seen freon leak from the condenser before and if it is leaking from the back of the unit (against the radiator) it'd be very hard to see at all.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok the yahoo that filled it n put dye in it didn't put low port cap back on. Could this be leak point? Guys not sure where points you u mentioned are located.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
The cap being off the port is not a leak concern, just a debris in the port issue.

If you have the dye in get a black lite pen and in the dark start tracing all of the system you can see under the hood. Find where the lines exit the firewall and start there. Look at everything attached to those lines. Under the hood you have the aluminum AC lines and hoses, the accumulator (near firewall under lines) the compressor and the condenser coil located in front of the radiator viewable thru the grill. If you run the ac look at the puddle on the floor with the black light. Anything that glows is a potential leak. Be aware that you will probably see a glow at the port where the dye was introduced.

If you spot a glow take some cleaner (Windex or otherwise) and clean the area and recheck.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The cap being off the port is not a leak concern, just a debris in the port issue.

If you have the dye in get a black lite pen and in the dark start tracing all of the system you can see under the hood. Find where the lines exit the firewall and start there. Look at everything attached to those lines. Under the hood you have the aluminum AC lines and hoses, the accumulator (near firewall under lines) the compressor and the condenser coil located in front of the radiator viewable thru the grill. If you run the ac look at the puddle on the floor with the black light. Anything that glows is a potential leak. Be aware that you will probably see a glow at the port where the dye was introduced.

If you spot a glow take some cleaner (Windex or otherwise) and clean the area and recheck.
Ok great will try tomorrow. At mem day BBQ now. Thx much to all

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok great will try tomorrow. At mem day BBQ now. Thx much to all
Was able to chk Tonite in dark garage. Attached are pix right at low side port with dye all over alum pipes. Only dyed areas was able to find. Tape on port is cauz yahoo filling it lost the cap! Could this dye be just from when he removed gauges etc when done? Any suggestions? Thx much

ForumRunner_20140525_224427.jpg

ForumRunner_20140525_224442.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
That seems like residue from detatchment of the a/c service machine. For the 134a to leak out completely in two days, I would check the condenser. It may have taken a rock to the face and has a massive leak there. The condenser is directly behind the grill and mounted to the front of the radiator.

Also, the "yahoo" that charged your system is indeed dumb. The 2000 TJ only takes 1.5 lbs of refrigerant. The overcharging of the system could have made a small leak even worse. Manifold pressures on the high side can reach 250-300 psi depending on the ambient air temp and humidity. Overcharging the system by an extra 66% exponentially increases the manifold pressure. Hopefully your high side pressure switch didn't allow the compressor to cycle and cause major damage.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Clean the area as I suggested earlier, let the system run a bit and re-check everything.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That seems like residue from detatchment of the a/c service machine. For the 134a to leak out completely in two days, I would check the condenser. It may have taken a rock to the face and has a massive leak there. The condenser is directly behind the grill and mounted to the front of the radiator.

Also, the "yahoo" that charged your system is indeed dumb. The 2000 TJ only takes 1.5 lbs of refrigerant. The overcharging of the system could have made a small leak even worse. Manifold pressures on the high side can reach 250-300 psi depending on the ambient air temp and humidity. Overcharging the system by an extra 66% exponentially increases the manifold pressure. Hopefully your high side pressure switch didn't allow the compressor to cycle and cause major damage.
Ok will do. But what did you mean by your last sentence here? Cycle? Meaning running..it did for a good day

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes. The compressor cycles on and off during normal operation - not quickly - but it does cycle.

If it ran for a day, I would be wondering a couple things. First, have you used the shop/person/yahoo before, and do you trust that they didn't rip you off. The reason I ask this is because if this place really did charge your system with 2.5 lbs for refrigerant, it should not have ran. Was the initial recharge done at a shop?

Also, another place to look for your leak that most people forget is the a/c compressor pulley (behind the pulley and compressor body). You will most likely have to get under your TJ to check it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts