Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine turns over fine but won't start on it's own. Discovered today that if I give it a shot of starting fluid to get it started it runs fine. As long as I leave it running everything is normal.....no check engine light.....no codes.

I have switched out the horn relay(which works) with the ASD and the fuel pump relay...same prob.

Could it be the CPS? Can someone advise on a way to check it? Any help very much appreciated.

·
Registered
299 Posts
So you are saying it will crank and continue to run on it's own after spraying the starting fluid? Or are you having to continue giving it shots of fluid to keep it running once it's fired off? Makes a huge difference in diagnosis. Also if it is continueing to run on it's own with no spray after initial crank is it running well? Seem to rev normally? Drivability?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes just a shot to get it started and then everything is normal. After it starts it runs/drives normally. Revs normally drives just like always. Thanx

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I dont have any vaulable information to put towards this but my first thought was the idle air controller...maybe try cleaning that up all nice and see what happens.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yeah, I think Owen hit it there. If the IAC has failed in a position where it is just shy of allowing enough air through the shot of ether will be enough to kick it off, after that the engine will run ok depending on outside air temps and all being as the IAC is really nothing more than a choke and idle up circuit for when the AC compressor kicks in. Pull the IAC and give it a good cleaning. The pintle on the IAC should move in and out with a bit of force, basically just a spring loaded solenoid that the computer sends a pulse width modulated signal to that determines how far the air circuit is opened or closed at idle. There really isn't any direct feedback to the computer to set a code unless the winding in the coil on the IAC is open.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Will it start if you accelerate a little when cranking it? Mine would start if I gave it some gas. IAC wiring was the problem for me. But I replaced the IAC also.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tom, no go on the acceleration....doesn't change anything.Thanx for the input gentlemen I'll start with the IAC and go from there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally got it back to normal...actually better than it was. Tried cleaning the TB by spraying cleaner in the IAC slot while still on the Jeep. It was better but still didn't want to start. Took the TB off and apart cleaned it thoroughly and now it runs better than ever. Thanx again for the advice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts