Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a motor squeal I cant get rid of. I changed to a Gates belt, both idlers changed with Gates made in Canada. Power steering pump replaced. Tightened belt many tries. Used my propane bottle looking for a vacuum leak. Nothing. I'm thinking it's the alternator

'01 2.5L 5 speed stock everything 190k miles

About 18 months ago I changed the alternator. The new one always had a slight noise to it. Can it be a bearing or something in it going bad when it heats up ? The squeal comes on once motor is hot, I can make it go away giving it gas. I can remove the belt and no squeal but that's not gonna work as a fix. Hate to be replacing big ticket items but it appears one of them is bad. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
16,862 Posts
If a belt is glazed from slipping or a pulley has lubricant on it it will slip and squeal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97' TJ 2.5L 5spd w/ Kumho Road Venture AT51 LT 31X10.50R15
139 Posts
It is possible you have misaligned and/or wobbly pulleys. Try spraying water on the ribbed side of the belt while engine is running. If noise goes away for a little bit, it's a good indication the pulleys are misaligned.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I've figured it out. It's not the belt, it's a vacuum leak coming from the intake/exhaust manifold area. Only happens when motor is hot. I started disassembling and using the propane trick and hit on something. Then I spotted one of the bolts that holds the intake/exhaust manifold to the engine was gone. That's where the propane silenced the squeal. Found the bolt at Rockauto 6036045aa. Not sure how it backed out and disappeared. That was fun. 20yrs old and 190k miles on the 2.5L 4 banger .. I'll take that as an easy fix

1 - 4 of 4 Posts