Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so earlier i posted about my wrangler and the alarm fix. Hence my tailgate is now bent (went backwards into a tree) :pullinghair:. Took it to a garage and they couldn't get the tailgate off.

any ideas on how to bend it back in to straighten it, so i can use it?

Please and thanks!!

i thought about vice grips and a rubber mat, but i am not that strong. Gonna try that though.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
ok, so earlier i posted about my wrangler and the alarm fix. Hence my tailgate is now bent (went backwards into a tree) :pullinghair:. Took it to a garage and they couldn't get the tailgate off.

any ideas on how to bend it back in to straighten it, so i can use it?

Please and thanks!!

i thought about vice grips and a rubber mat, but i am not that strong. Gonna try that though.
Cmon. Send pics or it didn’t happen. How in the heck did you start it and run into a tree?:jawdrop:

Reactions: milkdud005

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Dang! Craigslist Huntsville just had one for sale. Same color. $50. I just looked and it’s gone.

Reactions: milkdud005

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
yah your not gonna get that just bent back, even if you could you'd be seeing that crease forever.................time to find a part out.
or good excuse to get an aluminum drop down. i been lookin at Genright's aluminum replacement blank.

used gates go for 50-200 around me on facebook marketplace

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh man Ibikee, that would have been perfect!

yea DaveTJ04, i was looking at those aluminum drop downs online, interesting.

and thanks Gold Miner...lol, it pretty much is....

i suppose that is why i had money saved up Gottagofast.....these unexpected expenses.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
yea DaveTJ04, i was looking at those aluminum drop downs online, interesting.
I highly recommend a drop-down! I converted mine earlier this year... happier than flea at a dog show. Can hold over 400lbs. Nice to sit on and a nice workbench. Swing gate sucked compered to this. I didn't get a full gate though, I used a conversion kit from Swag Offroad which utilizes my existing tailgate. It's burly. You can't mount a spare on drop-gate but I have a bumper with a swing tire.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, definitely sounds like an improvement. I don't like the swing gate either. It gets loose and clanks over every bump. I may have to think about it, I'd need to check into the spare tire swing holder as well.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Jeep went from drop down to side opening tailgates many years ago for a reason. Drop downs are a PITA to have to reach/crawl over to get stuff. Yep they're different so they get praise from some but they just aren't as easy to live with.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I could see that, my concern would be. That it's too high for my dogs to jump into the back. I have a ramp, but they aren't patient enough to use it.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Drop downs are a PITA to have to reach/crawl over to get stuff.
Myth, and I thought the same thing before I installed it. Not a PITA at all. You can stand to either side of the drop gate and reach all the way to the back of the front seats, no problem. I'm tall enough (5'10") to reach my stuff while standing at any gate position. TJ gate isn't an exceedingly long or wide platform when dropped. Probably not your cup of tea, I understand that... but the "reach" is not an issue at all for me, an average-sized actual user. Can't see myself going back to the swing thing.

Reactions: jjandascog

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
I could see that, my concern would be. That it's too high for my dogs to jump into the back. I have a ramp, but they aren't patient enough to use it.
Yup, I could see that as being an issue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well...being that I'm 5' 2"... I can't reach much of anything.....my ex was nice enough to see if he could bend it out enough for me to open and close it...but no go...I have me eye on one in the valley for $250, but thats a 3 hour round trip...not including if....and I say .....if they put it on for me. Its from a Rubicon and has different brackets. Plastic and mine are all metal...so I have to see if it will even work.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Myth, and I thought the same thing before I installed it. Not a PITA at all. You can stand to either side of the drop gate and reach all the way to the back of the front seats,
You just made my point, the drop-down is so much of a PITA to reach over that you are forced to stand to the side of it to get to anything. If you think that's fine, so be it.

Again, there is a reason Jeeps no longer come with drop-down tailgates and went to those that swing open from the side. And it wasn't for a coolness or style reason either.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts