Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I'm looking to buy a new car that I can run into the ground and will be reliable for awhile. Am I looking in the right place? Any TJ owners have issues with reliability? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I’ve owned a total of seven CJs, YJs, TJs; and XJs over the past 25 years. I wouldn’t consider these vehicles reliable and classify them as toys. That 20 year old TJ will require constant maintenance to keep running.

I always have a Japanese car to use as a commuter so I don’t have to worry about reliability.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Can you wrench yourself? They're almost 20 years old so yeah you'll need to replace some parts periodically. If you enjoy the work though, makes for some fun weekend projects to keep it running smoothly. There are millions of videos and forum threads to help you. The parts are usually pretty cheap and available.

But if you want reliable, get a civic or a camry

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just like with anything maintenance is key! If you take care of it and do the routine maintenance then I would say yes, it is a reliable vehicle. I would hop in mine and head west without a thought, but I know my jeeps condition. All those sensors and the radiator that was replaced is hopefully the MOPAR band, becuse if not they will fail you any day!! A jeep that's lifted needs to be done correctly, so that all your drive line and steering components are in the correct position. There are a lot of things you need to look at before you pull the trigger. Make no mistake, I tell you this from experience.......I bought a jeep when I was younger and the allure of the jeep took over and I just bought it.......man was it a money pit!! I agree with XBD and Blort. If you want reliable get you a Civic!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts