Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First thing in the morning, or any time my Jeep sits for more than five minutes after being shut off, it's hard to start. Cranks for about three seconds then fires up, and there's always a gasoline smell to accompany it.

My mechanic friend suggested it might be the anti-drainback valve on the fuel pressure regulator.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Very good guess, a common problem, but I don't know if the gas smell is connected to the problem.

·
Registered
251 Posts
i just had the same thing.....found a split fuel line just outside the tank and my battery was shot......fixed both and works awesome now. try checking your battery first. good luck.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Whenever it comes to starting id always recommend checking the battery, and that very much sounds like a battery problem to me

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am having exactly the same problem on my 99. I have done a tune up to it (plugs, wires, distrib, rotor), put a new fuel pump in it, and a new ignition coil. The smell of gas is strong when I start it and it is harder then heck to get cranked over if it sits more than 5 minutes.

I guess next is getting the battery checked.....any other ideas out there?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts