Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '02 TJ with the NV3550 that has an increasingly loud sound during driving. It can best be described as a loud whirring/whining sound similar to a power steering pump under a load. There's no banging or knocking sounds at all, similar to other threads I've read about the throwout bearing. The sound only comes on when the vehicle is moving, in gear, with the clutch out. It's also most prevalent when the transmission is under a load (either accelerating or engine braking), and if I modulate the throttle to make it so there's no load (I would say slight deceleration), the sound goes away. If the clutch is pushed in, it almost immediately goes away. Other than the sound, it still drives/shifts just fine.

I was thinking of starting by replacing the transmission fluid (which to my knowledge has never been done in it's 95k miles of highway driving and light off-roading), but wanted to see if anyone on here had some ideas to help guide a mechanic in the right direction? Thanks!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts