Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to provide an AUX connection on my 02 TJ without getting an aftermarket head unit (want to reduce desire for someone to break in). Will an 03-06 head unit mate right up with my 02 connectors? With the 03-06 head unit I can perform the AUX mod or buy an adapter that plugs in the back

JEEP stock head unit AUX input installation

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
There were so many changes between 2002 & 2003 that I'd be surprised if the radio connectors are the same.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
The connectors are not the same from 02 to 03. They changed from the two flat gray and black connectors to one smaller rectangular gray connector but I'm sure if you got the 03 to 06 male end from any Chrysler product at a u-pull it yard and an aftermarket 02 style adapter you could make your own harness... All you would have to do is color match. I'm pretty sure they didn't change the wire colors just the clip style

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Ohh I forgot. They also changed the dash panel from having square corners to rounded off corners So you would also have to swap in a newer dash cover That's if you want a nice clean factory look

·
Registered
6,886 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, seems like swapping an OEM radio is too much work and for the cost (junkyard units seem to be $100+) I might as well get new head unit... Even those adapters are pricey! I'm trying to avoid any FM modulation as so much of the quality gets lost in the translation

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanks guys, seems like swapping an OEM radio is too much work and for the cost (junkyard units seem to be $100+) I might as well get new head unit... Even those adapters are pricey! I'm trying to avoid any FM modulation as so much of the quality gets lost in the translation
A new radio is your best bet. With more power and better processing a new radio will make you forget that factory unit pretty quick.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep that's exactly what I did, I purchased a decent Pioneer unit that works well with Android phones off of Crutchfield. Removable faceplate and all for about $130, it'll be in on Monday!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts